Military Families
Options

tricare and PTS

so, DH and I are ttc when he gets home from his current deployment, and I've recently started doing the math and his PTS date is set to be just a few months after our baby would potentially be born. does tricare have some sort of options for us to keep the baby insured? He will be using his GI bill when he gets out, what if we don't get pregnant right away and I am still pregnant after his PTS? will they make me move home and switch OBs?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: tricare and PTS

• Options
    There are a few plans you *may* qualify for to extend TriCare (with a fee, I think), but yes, you should plan for different insurance. I'm not sure what you mean about moving home though. If you are pregnant after your husband is no longer under contract that doesn't mean you get to keep your housing. Once you get out you no longer reap the benefits.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageSoftSpot:
    There are a few plans you *may* qualify for to extend TriCare (with a fee, I think), but yes, you should plan for different insurance. I'm not sure what you mean about moving home though. If you are pregnant after your husband is no longer under contract that doesn't mean you get to keep your housing. Once you get out you no longer reap the benefits.

I mean when they move us back to our home of record.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageFutureMrsTowns:
    so, DH and I are ttc when he gets home from his current deployment, and I've recently started doing the math and his PTS date is set to be just a few months after our baby would potentially be born. does tricare have some sort of options for us to keep the baby insured? He will be using his GI bill when he gets out, what if we don't get pregnant right away and I am still pregnant after his PTS? will they make me move home and switch OBs?

Leo either you or your husband have a job lines up for when you do move? If so, I would look into their insurance.  

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageFutureMrsTowns:

imageSoftSpot:

I mean when they move us back to our home of record.

You do not receive insurance from a company you do not work for. Once he gets out your healthcare will end with TriCare (unless you qualify for those plans I mentioned) & you have to find it with a different company.

• Options

oh, I forgot to meantion, he'll be using his post9/11 GI bill when w get out...

I've not put much thought into his PTS till now(we've got just over a year now)... so much to figure out I feel lost...

• Options
    imageFutureMrsTowns:

I've not put much thought into his PTS till now(we've got just over a year now)... so much to figure out I feel lost...

There are no health benefits associated with the GI bill. 

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options
    imageFutureMrsTowns:

If I were you, I would call Tricare and ask about option for when he does get out. I have no idea about the coverage but I think, like most jobs, you can buy insurance for a few months after leaving. However, it's probably not cheap. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    imageFutureMrsTowns:

There are no health benefits associated with the GI bill. 

This.  You will need to buy insurance or get it through any potential job, if you are able to.   

• Options
    Also, when he gets out, they won't make you move any where.  Y'all can choose to stay where you are or move any where.  
  • Options
    yeah, I'm going to call tricare. I just wanted to know if y'all had any knowledge on it already.
  • Options
    If he's getting out against his own will he will have tricare prime for 6 months his dependants will drop to tricare standard for 6 months. After that, you're on your own.
    Good luck and I hope everything goes well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"