Military Families
Options

any Nellis or Keesler AFB mommies?

We are active reserve and putting in packages for orders to Nellis and Keelser.  Any advise or comments on either base would be great.  Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: any Nellis or Keesler AFB mommies?

• Options
    We are navy but I grew up and lived in Biloxi ms til I was 26. I loved it. Great food great people, close to mobile and new Orleans. If you do end up at Keebler feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

BFP 4/4/12 CP 4/10/12

9/20/2013 Came home with our little miracle from the Philippines

11/26/2013 Surprise!!! BFP!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I loved Biloxi while I was there. Keesler has renovated and built a lot of new facilities after Katrina. 
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I sooo miss the commissary at Kessler. We are at camp lejeune and the commissary here is awful!

BFP 4/4/12 CP 4/10/12

9/20/2013 Came home with our little miracle from the Philippines

11/26/2013 Surprise!!! BFP!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Check out www.militarywom.com they have reviews listed for both of those bases. They are on facebook as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We live in New Orleans and visit Keesler on occation. I think it's pretty nice.  Good luck!
  • Options

We were not stationed at Nellis, but we lived in Vegas for about 4 years (my H grew up there) and I loved it.  There is always something to do, from shows and great restaurants to amazing hikes and other outdoor stuff.  It is only about 45 minutes from a ski resort, 4 hours to the beach, it is a great location.  I went to Nellis on numerous occasions (to do paperwork, for our pre-marriage counseling with a Chaplain, to shop, etc) and it seems like a really nice base and fairly easy to get around. 

The only downside to Vegas is it gets really hot in the summer, but the other 9 months out of the year completely makes up for it, the weather is amazing!  It is almost always sunny, never rains. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    j&srj&sr member
    H is at Keesler right now and has been for about 6 months so far. Can't say either of us know everything there is to know but feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Never been to Nellis so can't provide any info there!
  • Options
    We were at Nellis/Creech for 3 years. It's not a bad base. It's really big with LOTS going on. Base housing is nice but if you live off base be prepared to drive a bit. traffic isn't bad but the area around base is not the best. Public schools are horrible and the summers are hot, but the rest of the year is really nice and there is tons to do.
  • Options

I was at Keesler for 4 1/2 years right after Katrina. The base is beautiful now that everything is brand new. I HATE Biloxi/Gulfport, its real dirty. I suggest base housing because it's new and nice but the housing splits into two different schools (Jeff Davis and Beauvoir...kids went to both and I didn't care for Beauvoir). There was one school for ALL Biloxi 6th graders and they had to share books in class, not sure if this is the case still. There was only one middle school (connected to the 6th grade school).  If you want to live off base then go to North D'Iberville or to Ocean Springs, it is cleaner and the school systems are better.

Storms are not super common but you do need to be prepared for the worst, just keep that in mind. For some people, the possibilty of losing everything is a deal breaker. Just have a plan is my advice :) Good luck!! If you have more questions, ask away.

KEEP CALM and LATCH ON!

dee & bee
    mom & dad to 3 boys!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"