Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

When do you work out?

I have 2 kids, work full time, and have a husband with crazy work hours.  I am busy and the last thing I want to do when the kids are finally in bed around 8:30 is get on the eliptical.

I am an enormous, blobby mess and I want to do something, but I just don't have time.  I thought about getting DD all jammied after dinner and taking walks, but DS would want to ride his scooter or something and he is soooooooo sloooooooowwww.   

What do you do?

Re: When do you work out?

• I get up early and do it first thing in the morning while DH and DS are still asleep. It sucks getting up sometimes, but I feel great throughout the day and I love having it off my to-do list.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I switch off every other evening--one of us works out while the other makes dinner, unpacks B's lunchbox, packs lunch for the next day, loads and unloads the dishwasher, etc.  It works out well for us, but it sounds like that wouldn't be an option for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • I belong to a gym with child care, and that really helps. I like going mornings best. Is there any way you could get up before everyone else and work out?

I have the 30 day shred dvd that I do when I can't make it to the gym. It seriously takes 20 minutes, so not too bad if you do have to wait until the kids are in bed.

I know it's hard to find the time, but you have to make it if you want the results. I struggle with this a lot. I found that calorie tracking has helped me lose more weight than exercise. I use livestrong.com (my plate app). If you don't have time to work out right now I highly suggest tracking calories for now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I put them in the double stroller and go for walks when it's nice. Sometimes I go to a Zymba class Thurs nights at 7 if DH doesn't get home too late. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I work out over lunch three days a week (a short jog and weightlifting), and two days a week DH picks up our daughter from daycare and I go to the gym (longer run) (two other days I pick her up so he can go to the gym). We try to fit in at least one long family walk over the weekend. 

I second what Irish said about sometimes having to prioritize health over other tasks, like housekeeping. It's a juggle, and our routine wasn't always this smooth (and I'm sure there will be times in the future when it's not smooth again), but I feel good as long as I know I'm doing the best I can to fit it in.  

• Kaley28Kaley28 member

I'm a morning work-out person. If I put it off until the evening, it never gets done. Working out in the am makes the day seem longer, and makes me feel more accomplished. Is that a possibility for you?

I'm a SAHM now, so I do my first workout before DD and DH wake up (usually 6-7 am), and then take DD with me to the gym for round 2. BUT, when I was working full time, I just did my workout early (like 5:30am early). Once you get past the shock of waking up even earlier than you already do, you'll likely notice that you have more energy anyway.

I also agree with Irish. You can't do everything. Make your fitness a priority, and you'll be able to find time. Maybe not everyday. Maybe not even every other day. But, each day is a new opportunity to find some time for yourself. 

2012 Races: 3/18 Shamrock Shuffle 5k; 4/14 E.R. Race for Autism 5k (PR! 25:58); 6/9 Riudoso Sprint Triathlon; 6/24 Chunky Monkey 10K; 7/29 Cochiti Lake Olympic Triathlon; 9/16 Chips & Salsa 1/2 Marathon; 10/21 Duke City 1/2 Marathon; 12/2 Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon in Vegas!
  • When I am on nights, I work out around 3pm.  I have to leave for work at 5p.  When I am on days, I work out around 6:30/7p.  By working out, I mean I walk, run or ride my bike.  Sometimes, I take DS and push him in his Little Tikes car, other times I go alone.  Just depends.

• DS goes to bed at 7 so I workout after he goes down. Usually it's just 20-45 minutes, depending on what I do. I aim for working out a minimum of 4x a week. If I do more, awesome, if not I don't beat myself up. I SAH so I also go for walks with DS on nice days in the morning. I can't workout well when he's awake because he gets in my way and usually during his nap I'm eating lunch, prepping dinner, doing quick chores, and just taking some time to relax myself. Sometimes if I'm feeling energetic and we're not going anywhere in the afternoon I'll do 30 Day Shred while he naps but for the most part I save it for the evening.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do my ab work when she is napping and I go to the gym 3 days a week after DH gets home and can watch her.  I take her on walks with me about 2 times a week.  When I use to work in an office I remember a couple ladies working out in the warehouse during their lunch break....maybe you could do that.
  • I also work and have a hubby with a crazy schedule that can't take the kiddo to/from daycare. I joined a gym a couple blocks from her daycare so now we get up earlier and she goes to daycare while I work out. I get about 45 minutes plus shower before getting to the office by 9. I feel a lot better about myself but I think it is harder on DD since she's waking up almost an hour earlier than normal. I plan to do 3 days a week but have been doing 5 as a boot camp for myself. Mommy needs it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"