VBAC
Options

Birth story - VBAC attempt

I checked out this board several times when I was recently PG so I thought I'd post how my VBAC attempt turned out.

My OB is very pro-VBAC.  I was induced at 40w6d.  They broke my water, started Pitocin and put in an internal monitor.  I was having decent contractions but the baby's heart rate kept decelerating - they had me on this side, then another, then with the oxygen mask on, etc. 

I got to 4cm and then just got stuck there - for four hours.  My OB was willing to give me more time, but all of a sudden there was a decel so severe that all of a sudden the room was swarmed by nurses/doctors, they had me get up on all fours, and his heart rate went so low it actually fell off the monitors.  They got him back, but it was VERY scary and my OB came in and said that I'd given it my best shot, but she thought it was time to go to a c/s.  They couldn't give me more Pitocin because he already wasn't tolerating labor very well - and, given that I'd been stuck at 4cm for so long, they weren't confident I would get to 10cm with the limited options I had for positioning. 

So, off to surgery we went.  They fished him out and I heard the doctors say "WOW" - he was 9 lbs 5 oz and 23 inches long.  Failure to progress mystery solved!  :)  I had a very easy recovery again so I while I wish the VBAC would have worked out, I'm glad I gave it my best shot and have no regrets. 

Good luck to everyone with your babies!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012

Re: Birth story - VBAC attempt

• Options
    Thanks for sharing your story.  Like you, my second trial of labor ended similarly but I felt satisfied to have given it a try.  Congrats on your little one!
  • Options
    Jen524Jen524 member
    Congratulations on your new baby!
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Wow, that's a long baby.  Congrats!

Sorry that your attempt didn't work out, but at least you know your c-section was for the right reasons.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    iris427iris427 member
    Congrats!  Thank you for sharing your story.  Enjoy your new baby :)

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats! That is a long baby!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Congratulations! I'm so glad your recovery is going well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"