Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Drinkers who choose not to drink

I am getting ready to start my next cycle which will be a medicated IUI cycle. I have decided to leave the "drink till it's pink" camp and move over to the "not drinking while in treatment" camp. My question is for those of you who normally drink, what do you say when people ask you why aren't you drinking? I have heard a lot of people say I am taking antibiotics or something general like that, but that won't fly with my circle of friends and family who are nurses and paramedics.

So how do you answer them when you choose to not drink?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Drinkers who choose not to drink

• Options
    I tell them it's none of their goddamned business what I'm drinking.

TTC since June 2010.
    DX hypothyroidism, pituitary hyperfunction, and PCOS.
    On med/treatment break indefinitely. Not currently trying.
    Lots of love to all of my Golden Girls!
    The Vagtastic Voyage
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I might have a beer here or there, but I tell people I'm the DD. Pretty much everyone respects that.
    siggy warning

Anniversary

Me:29 DH:30
    TTC since 10/11
    HSG, BW, Ultrasound, SA, Genetic testing, Karyotype - all normal
    DX - Unexplained IF
    3/13-9/13 - 2 Clomid IUIs & 3 Injectable IUIs - All BFN
    Cycle 25 - IVF w/ antagonist protocol - ER 11/18 (11R, 9F) - ET 11/23 (1 "good" early blast) - none left to freeze - BFN
    Cycle 26 - IVF w/ antagonist protocol  - ER 1/17 (12R, 11M, 8 F) - ET 1/22 (2 "good" expanded blasts) 
    2 frosties - Beta 2/4 - BFP! 2104, 2/7 -  4780, ultrasound 2/12 - holy shiz, there are 2!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLollipopsAndCrisps:

Beer cheers to that!

siggy warning

Anniversary

Me:29 DH:30
    TTC since 10/11
    HSG, BW, Ultrasound, SA, Genetic testing, Karyotype - all normal
    DX - Unexplained IF
    3/13-9/13 - 2 Clomid IUIs & 3 Injectable IUIs - All BFN
    Cycle 25 - IVF w/ antagonist protocol - ER 11/18 (11R, 9F) - ET 11/23 (1 "good" early blast) - none left to freeze - BFN
    Cycle 26 - IVF w/ antagonist protocol  - ER 1/17 (12R, 11M, 8 F) - ET 1/22 (2 "good" expanded blasts) 
    2 frosties - Beta 2/4 - BFP! 2104, 2/7 -  4780, ultrasound 2/12 - holy shiz, there are 2!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageLollipopsAndCrisps:

While I would love to say something like that to my SIL it just wouldn't go over well. She has to be in everyone's business. I do try to avoid her at most family functions sometimes I just can't get away from her.

• Options
    I'll probably just end up mixing mocktails. It'd be very obvious with my friends & family if I just stopped having cocktails at gatherings.
  • Options

imageLollipopsAndCrisps:

Yes

Seriously OP, you don't have to give them any kind of excuse. Just tell them that you don't feel like drinking. If they press the issue, walk away.

imageimageimage
    26 years old, married since June 2009, DS born 1/19/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dear Baby Pacheco...
  • Options

imageSpartanGirl24:
    I might have a beer here or there, but I tell people I'm the DD. Pretty much everyone respects that.

Thanks, SpartanGirl. I usually have one glass of wine, but I'd rather say this if people ask why I'm not drinking.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options
    I don't avoid drinking for TTC purposes, but a big reason I hardly ever have a drink or two lately at social functions is because of the unnecessary calories plus I usually just feel blah after 1-2 drinks.. it's not quite enough to buzz me up, but it has a tiny affect on me (fatigue) and it's just pointless.  So if people ask (they don't but if they did) I'd just say that I'm really watching my calories I guess.
    Mommy to
    Tyler (10/29/08)
    and Lily (4/21/13)

• Options

I don't drink in the 2WW, so for me it's usually temporary that I'm not drinking. Then I either say I don't feel like drinking or that I'm the DD.

If it's a longer-term thing, though, (like when I was pregnant with DD or in your case for as long as you're doing medicated cycles) then I say that I'm cutting out alcohol for health reasons. If they argue that one drink won't hurt (I never had anyone say that, but it could happen), then I would say I'd rather just cut it out altogether.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    Cutting down on calories and sugars for summer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imagekeelyd:
    Honestly, very few people even ask.  Depending on who's asking, I tell them I've cut out alcohol while TTC or that I just don't feel like it.  But really, it's not anyone's business.  Who cares, honestly?

Wish that was the case, not so much with my inlaws. SIL is a shove the drink down your throat type of B!tch. World revovles around her....just ask her. Like I said before I try to avoid her but sometimes I get stuck.

• Options
    imagesunflowers4AC:

imageLollipopsAndCrisps:

While I would love to say something like that to my SIL it just wouldn't go over well. She has to be in everyone's business. I do try to avoid her at most family functions sometimes I just can't get away from her.

If it becomes an issue, order a vodka soda, hold the vodka, and squeeze a lime in it. Then tell your SIL to suck it and stop being such a nosy biiitch. 

TTC since June 2010.
    DX hypothyroidism, pituitary hyperfunction, and PCOS.
    On med/treatment break indefinitely. Not currently trying.
    Lots of love to all of my Golden Girls!
    The Vagtastic Voyage
  • Options
    I say because I am recovering....takes the pressure off you if they try to pressure you into a drink.
    party-fails-crunk-critters-bruce-isnt-good-with-tequila
    see more After 12
    Just because something isn't happening for you right now doesn't mean it will never happen.
    IUI #1 - BFN IUI #2 - BFN
    IVF - Starting injects May 25 IVF #1 - BFP!
  • Options
    Mrs. MoMrs. Mo member
    Anytime I had a medicated cycle, I did not drink. Although I was a "drink 'till it's pink" lady, I didn't want to drink while cycling. Anyways, I would either mix up something that looked like a drink ( oj + cranberry juice= a N/A sex on the beach) or just tell people that my allergies have been acting up and I didn't want to mix booze with the allergy meds.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    imageLollipopsAndCrisps:
    imagesunflowers4AC:

imageLollipopsAndCrisps:

If it becomes an issue, order a vodka soda, hold the vodka, and squeeze a lime in it. Then tell your SIL to suck it and stop being such a nosy biiitch

I love it!!! Maybe I will even tell her that Lolli said so, so take that b!tch!!!

In all seriousness I do like the "trying to cut calories" answer. Thanks ladies you all rock!! Especially you Lolli with your straight forward answers.

• Options
    jdulcejdulce member

imageLollipopsAndCrisps:
    If it becomes an issue, order a vodka soda, hold the vodka, and squeeze a lime in it. Then tell your SIL to suck it and stop being such a nosy biiitch

LOL!!!! That is exactly what I was thinking!

• Options
    imagednh2486:

I'm driving tonight.

I don't feel like it.

I have a headache.

I have to get up early in the morning.

I drank too much last night and I'm still recovering.

These are all so great! Frankly, for some people I am sure telling someone its not their business works, but I am in a heavy drinking circle of friends and family and we are all in our mid 30s, we know what's up when someone is standing there with a water (whether we ask or not). I am guilty myself of assuming. I have found that the cutting calories thing works the best, as does "I am feeling nauseous from too much last night/this morning at brunch" or "I just had a glass of wine before we left the house" etc. (these are great because it implies recent drinking LOL) I also like the allergies/don't want to mix booze with allergy meds thing, will have to use that! 

• Options
    One of my friends sister's was pregnant, and not telling anyone until she was 12 weeks.  Her family would know something was up if she wasn't drinking.  So she would do a couple of things..  bring her own bottle of wine (filled with something else).  Or if she had a beer, she would dump out the can, rinse it out, and put something else in there.  I couldn't believe all the effort she went through to trick people!
  • Options
    I'm going with acid reflux/ulcer issues....DH has a lot of ulcer issues and stops drinking for long periods of time...I'm jumping on board with him ;)
    funny gifs Anniversary
    FF
  • Options
    I tell them I am trying to cut back and cut the calories or start a healthier lifestyle. They can't say that's a terrible idea. 
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You can always tell them that you and your hubby have a bet going on. If you hold out from alcohol for ( however long you want ) Then he has cook for two weeks, etc... make it fun. Of course talk it over with your DH first.

• Options
    I tell them, but I'm not really one for secrets. Everybody has been great about it, so it worked for me.
  • Options

It always seems weird to me that people have huge issues with this. To me - "I don't feel like drinking tonight." should be a sufficient enough answer.  If you're such a heavy drinker that you friends would go "WTF, you MUST be pregnant then" you should probably reevaluate your drinking anyway. Even if friends pester you just hold up your guns. If they try to force you when you don't want to it says a lot about your friends though. *shrug*

ETA: If you're in a really sticky situation, I think PPs gave really good one-liners for this. 

BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Juicy71Juicy71 member
    I just wanted to say good luck! We are in our first medicated IUI cycle now (starting Clomid tonight) and I just told DH I was going to try to abstain since we're now spending big money on this so I'm with ya! I don't know a lot of people where I live yet and those I do know know that we are TTC so I don't have to worry about it. If I did though, I would totally use the trying to lose weight excuse. Part of why I actually want to stop drinking is that I think it has been keeping me from losing weight lately. We'll see how I do. :-). Anyway, good luck to you again!!
    Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    imageLollipopsAndCrisps:
    imagesunflowers4AC:

imageLollipopsAndCrisps:

If it becomes an issue, order a vodka soda, hold the vodka, and squeeze a lime in it. Then tell your SIL to suck it and stop being such a nosy biiitch. 

This exactly. I usually order vodka sodas, so I just plan on continuing this trend until I'm ready to tell people. Other nights I might say I have to get up early or I drank too much last night, but those are the only options that will really fly with my friends. They know me too well and to just not drink, I might as well have PREGNANT plastered on my forehead.

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"