May 2011 Moms
Options

Daycare Concern

Hey May Moms!  DS will be 1 year on the 13th.  We have had a sitter come to our home since I returned to work last August (I teach HS so I got the entire summer off as part of my maternity).  Unfortunately, this past week, our sitter hurt her back and is unsure of when she will be able to return to work.  My husband and I took turns taking off work this week to watch him, but we cannot continue to do so.

We are looking into putting him into daycare, at least until summer starts for me.  I am kind of concerned about this because the only daycare experience I have is from when my sister was little, and the place was so crowded, some kids got "forgotten" about during the day.  My son could be considered "high maintenance" because he constantly wants to be interacted with.  He does not like to nap, and can get fussy when he's tired and refusing to give up the fight, but is otherwise a very good child.

Those of you who use a daycare, what were some things you looked for while searching out a place?  What were some "must haves" and "must avoids"?

Re: Daycare Concern

• Options
    kacellekacelle member

The best thing you can do is ask around for recommendations!  We were interested in a center near my work and learned that one of my coworker's daughters works there and they are good friends with the director.  Getting recommendations from parents with children in daycare is always a good idea!  

The center we use was very clean, had a reasonable infant to caregiver ratio, was licensed, had video cameras in every room (not that I watch them, but I liked knowing that the teachers would behave accordingly!), and was willing to cloth diaper.  My only complaint is that the meals they serve as part of the daycare fee really aren't very healthy (e.g., fishsticks), so we send meals for DD.  I really like her being in a large daycare center rather than at an in-home center because of the increased accountability.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

My daughter has been in daycare since she was about 4 months old, and the daycare she goes to is great so I was never really concerned. They let me bring her in and stay with her for the first few days until she got used to it and then they'd call me anytime they had a question (Oh yeah, when did she nap last? Can she have ---? etc) and the one time she actually got hurt they called me immediately and explained what happened. I could still hear her crying in the back.Of course she got sick more than kids who aren't in daycare, but it built up her immune system and she already doesn't get sick as fast as other kids I know. & Of course kids are going to get hurt (she's a wobbley walker) so accidents are bound to happen, and they'd happen at your house too so it has to be expected.

I say ask around and find somewhere that you like. Find somewhere that you think is the best fit for you and your baby. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"