March 2012 Moms

Re-introduction and ? about pumping

Hello!  I thought I'd give a quick re-intro since I haven't posted since having LO.  I've been on this board since my second trimester.  My baby girl, Madeleine was born on March 5th and is growing like a weed!

My question is for those who pump a lot or are EPing.  I'm practically at the EPing point (only nursing for 2 to 3 of Maddie's 8 or 9 feedings each day).  Our BFing relationship has almost completely fallen apart since I introduced the bottle at 5 weeks.  While this makes me sad, she needs to take a bottle since I work full time and I'd much rather deal with the struggle than be worried that she's not eating while I'm at work.  I'm not sure entirely why her time at the boob has become so difficult; it's either my fast let-down is choking her (which she used to tolerate before being spoiled by the bottle) or sometimes my let-down is too delayed and she gets impatient.  Either way, I'm doing a lot of pumping now in an attempt to avoid formula if I can.  So my question: how do you avoid developing super painful nipples and also manage to keep your supply up?  I've been doing this for a few weeks now (LO is 9 weeks) so it's not a matter of getting used to it.  My nips started out fine and now are developing painful bruising from the pump.  I've tried turning down the suction, but if I do that, I hardly get any milk out and it takes forever!  I also feel like my supply is starting to drop off.

Any suggestions are appreciated!  I'm not opposed to supplementing, I'm just trying to avoid it if possible.

Happily married for 4 years. 1 loss @ 6 weeks (April 2011). Baby Girl #1 born 3/5/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Re-introduction and ? about pumping

• sounds like you need bigger flanges -- what kind of pump do you have?
    image image image Michael Madison III born on 3/29/12 at 7:40am. 7 lb., 13 oz, 20.5 inches. Emergency C-section due to umbilical cord prolapse.
  • lanolin will help if you are dry or sore other than the bruising also
    image image image Michael Madison III born on 3/29/12 at 7:40am. 7 lb., 13 oz, 20.5 inches. Emergency C-section due to umbilical cord prolapse.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemustanglo:
    sounds like you need bigger flanges -- what kind of pump do you have?

THIS! It happened to me and then I got a bigger flanges and they feel so much better.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imageibnagy99:

imagemustanglo:

THIS! It happened to me and then I got a bigger flanges and they feel so much better.

I never thought about this.  I think I have a larger size at home, I will give them a try to see if that helps.  Thanks!

Happily married for 4 years. 1 loss @ 6 weeks (April 2011). Baby Girl #1 born 3/5/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemustanglo:

I have the Medela PISA, which so far has been a great pump.

Is it also possible that if my supply is dropping, I'd have to work harder to get the milk out?  Or would I just be seeing lower volumes of milk?

• mrs.geemrs.gee member
    imageblackbirdmoment:

imagemustanglo:

I have the Medela PISA, which so far has been a great pump.

Is it also possible that if my supply is dropping, I'd have to work harder to get the milk out?  Or would I just be seeing lower volumes of milk?

Agree on bigger flanges. Also a little olive oil around your nips before pumping is magic. It's more slippery than lanolin. 

DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
  • Is it also possible that if my supply is dropping, I'd have to work harder to get the milk out?  Or would I just be seeing lower volumes of milk?

hmm maybe...

• I would try the larger flanges and see how it goes.  I have big bewbies and was talking to my OB about it.  She said the ones that come with the pump fit almost no one correctly (too small) so that could be your problem.

I dialed back the suction quite a bit because my nipples were sore and find that I have to pump longer, but I am able to better empty the breast and end up with more milk.  It sucks to pump longer though. 

image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• After DD was born we had to pump as she wouldn't BF.  I kept my supply up (and it grew like crazy!) by eating a huge bowl of oatmeal every morning - doctors advice, and drinking a pot of red raspberry leaf tea and nursing mothers tea from our local healthfood store.  I swear it worked! To build the supply up I also pumped for 3-5 minutes when just tiny drops were coming out.  It took alot of patience nut I went from 3 oz total to 10oz in less then 2 weeks! I also drank at least 2 cups of water between each pump.  Good luck!
  • It sounds like your flanges are too little.  I highly recommend Pumpin Pals flanges.  They are angled instead of straight out, and I find them to be much more comfortable.  I bought the set of all 3 sizes directly from their website.  Now that I know what size works for me, I bought an extra set from Amazon. 
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I do manual compression and squeezing on the breasts while pumping, it really helps. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"