Success after IF

WWSAIF Do: Think DS get's migranes

Here's what happens: Conor will say his head hurts.  Always his right forehead.  He'll say he wants to "take a nap" and he'll go to his room to lay down.  5 minutes later he'll wake up crying saying he's going to get sick.  Runs to the bathroom and does so.  Sometimes he'll get sick multiple times.  Never has a temp.  At most it's 99 (not a temp IMO).  He'll feel clamy and be lathargic.  Eventually he'll stop puking and go to sleep.  Sleeping for 2 hours or more depending on when this happens.  If it's around bedtime, he'll sleep all night even if he's in bed at 6 or 7.  When he wakes up he's good as new.  Ball of energy, wants to eat peanut butter toast, play outside.  No s/e of the above.

I've been trying to figure out if there's a pattern to all this.  As far as food, activity, who he's around, where we've been, temp outside, no nap, our of whack bedtime, etc.  I haven't found anything. 

This doesn't happen too often, but enough that it makes me wonder.  This fall he got sick on Halloween, then again Thanksgiving Day - both at night.  I think he might have got sick again earlier this winter (Jan/Feb) and then again on Friday.  Again, happened at night around 8.

WWSAIF do?  Do I bring this up during his next pedi appointment in November?  Should I make a special appointment now?  If he does get migranes, there's really nothing you can do.  Right?  Or should I be worried it's something worse?  I don't even want to think about that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: WWSAIF Do: Think DS get's migranes

• I'd make a pedi appt before then to talk about it.  It definitely sounds like it could be migraines to me too, but that would be pretty uncommon in a very young boy.  one of my nieces gets them though!  poor little guy!  :(   HAve you checked the common list of food triggers that cause migraines?  make sure to reference your list of what he ate with those, maybe there is something on there?
  • there is a LOT they can do- and yes, you need to talk to his doc about it.

I'd probably make an appt with a neurologist --- even with adult migraines - they usually want to do an MRI to rule bad things out.... and for a child to have them so young, I would think that would be a wise place to start.

My niece had them very young- and would vomit from them, too.  My brohter, mom, sister and I all get them... it's in the family sadly.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • and just as an example- it can be VERY hard to find a trigger - even in an adult - so i'm guessing you just have not found it yet for him.

for me- i knew my period and weather changes gave me migraines- but it took me YEARS to figure out that Sweet & Low gave me migraines- b/c I never got them right after having it (like in iced tea)... it would be hours or a day later... but when i stopped using it- my migraine frequencey went down HUGE.

i'd get a migraine tracker app and literally write down everything he eats, etc - and when he gets them... it might be a PITA but it will help so much if you can figure out the trigger- which can take some time.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • MAK06MAK06 member
    I would absolutely make an appointment to have him checked out.  I would probably start with pediatrician to see what they say.  But I would probably persist if they blew it off.  Sounds like migraines but difficult in that young of age!  Sending thoughts and prayers your way! I'm sure he's fine ... but never hurts to be thorough, especially with something like that!

IVF #1 = BFP!! So blessed to have our baby boy! IVF #2 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! IVF #3 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! FET #1 = 8/14, Two transferred, One stuck! Praying for another healthy miracle! Due: 5/2/13 imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMAK06:
    I would absolutely make an appointment to have him checked out.  I would probably start with pediatrician to see what they say.  But I would probably persist if they blew it off.  Sounds like migraines but difficult in that young of age!  Sending thoughts and prayers your way! I'm sure he's fine ... but never hurts to be thorough, especially with something like that!

I agree. Hopefully they can diagnose the problem and get him some relief. I suffer from migraines and it is horrible. If it is a migraine I hope you can pinpoint some triggers to keep them at bay.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone for the responses!  I'm going to call our pedi and get him in soon.  If anything for peace of mind and so they have documentation of my worry.

At first I thought he was getting sick (puking) because he was around my MIL for 2 of the instances who...doesn't have the cleanest house, doesn't wash hands, let's Conor eat crap, and she also works at a pharmacy and brings how germs.  But as he's gotten more episodes there's always a headache present it makes me think it's something else.

I looked up some triggers and can't find anything out of the ordinary yet.  He's been eating deli meat, cheeses and nuts (namely peanut butter) and has no issues. 

I'm wondering if environmental factors (heat/humidity) trigger him.  DH picked him up from DC Friday and said Conor was drenched in sweat.  It was a hot day for May (84 I think) and he had just came in from outside.  Cheeks flushed (they always do when he plays hard and gets hot), hair wet with sweat. 

He had his usualy snack when they got home, juice box and fruit snacks.  Yes, I win mother of the year for that one.  We got a sandwich at Quizno's and ran some errands.  I noticed when we got home he looked tired and had dark circles under his eyes and was pale.  I gave him a bath and noticed when he got out he was clamy.  Then it started.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageUsedToBeGoldie:

there is a LOT they can do- and yes, you need to talk to his doc about it.

I'd probably make an appt with a neurologist --- even with adult migraines - they usually want to do an MRI to rule bad things out.... and for a child to have them so young, I would think that would be a wise place to start.

My niece had them very young- and would vomit from them, too.  My brohter, mom, sister and I all get them... it's in the family sadly.

I'd go straight to a pedi neuro as well.

FWIW there are migraine drugs indicated for peds down to at least age 6 that I know of and some of my neuro's go off label and write it even younger.

I'd want answers before November for sure.

GL and keep us posted.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"