Birth Stories
Options

She beat the induction..

My DD is almost 2 months old, but I'm back at work and just can't stop thinking about her, so I figured I'd finally post my birth story!

My 3rd tri went very smoothly.. A little too smoothly since I was making no progress at all! On my due date (Sept. 26th) I was barely 1 cm dilated, and my baby had yet to drop. I had spent the 3 weeks prior to my due date doing everything in the book to induce labor. I was walking every chance I got, eating spicy food, using an exercise ball, doing the dirty with DH... Everything but drinking castor oil. Yuck. 

I went back to the Dr. the following Monday, and they FINALLY stripped my membranes (I had asked for this to be done 2x) and scheduled me for an induction on Wednesday, October 1st, at 8:00 am. I was thrilled that I was finally going to meet my girl, but was nervous about the induction. I was worried that no progress meant that maybe she just wasn't ready to be born and maybe I should give her a little bit longer. I thought maybe I was jumping the gun, I was only 3 days past my due date. But I went ahead and packed my bags and took care of all the last minute details.

Tuesday morning, I came into work for a half day. I was feeling a little off, with slight contractions. I didn't even pay attention to them since they never turned out to be anything. After work, I went home and cleaned, took a short nap, and began contacting family and close friends. They contractions kept getting closer, and stronger. By the time my DH got home from work around 11 pm, I was beginning to think it might actually be labor. I went to do a quick bathroom trip before bed, and found that I was losing my mucous plug. I was thrilled! Something was actually happening!

I was only able to sleep until 12:30, and then the contractions were too strong and painful to sleep anymore. I woke up my DH and told him this was it. We decided to try to make it at home as long as could since we were supposed to be at the hospital at 8 anyway. We didn't want to be sent home, only to turn around and come right back. DH stayed in bed to try and get some sleep, while I went and timed contractions and tried to stay comfortable. By 2:30, I was having trouble breathing through contractions, and they were 2-3 minutes apart. I woke up DH and we headed to the hospital.

This is where it started to get scary. When we got to the hospital, they checked me (only 1.5 cm dilated) and hooked me up to monitors and it was taking them a while to find my baby's heartbeat. They kept finding mine - in the 70's. I didn't know what was going on and DH and I kept looking at each other. We were starting to get scared when they finally found her heartbeat - in the 130's. Johnny and I were getting settled in the room, when all of a sudden the nurses came running in because DD's heartrate dropped. Big time.   I had to lay on my side, and was hooked up to oxygen. Once her heartrate would get back to normal, everyone would leave only to come rushing in again a few minutes later. They kept having me switch positions, and then they were trying to reach in and 'tickle' DD's head to try and stimulate her.. That HURT! Since I was only 1.5 cm and still high, they really had to fight and push to be able to reach her. After about an hour (maybe?) of this, about 10 people were in my room getting my ready for an emergency C-Section.

They said I was still in early labor, and the baby was already in distress. There was no way she'd make it through hard labor. I was given two injections to stop my contractions (what a relief!). When they took me to be prepped for the c/s, my DH had to stay behind until after the spinal. He was told if the spinal took, he'd be able to join me, but if I had to go under general anesthesia then he wouldn't be allowed in at all.

To be honest, I was terrified. My nurses and Dr's were great, but I was still scared sh*tless. Thankfully, the spinal worked and after what felt like an eternity, my DH was able to join me. I was kinda out of it at this point - I think just because I was exhausted (it was after 5 am at this point) and was finally relaxing a little bit (probably from the meds). The surgery itself seemed to go fairly quickly. I kept listening for that 1st cry.. I heard them anounce her time of birth as 5:37 am. I kept looking at DH asking if she was ok.. He was assuring me that she was, but I couldn't hear her crying. Turns out she had swallowed some meconium, so they were suctioning her. 

Sophie Anne was born October 1st, weighing in at 7lbs 3oz, and was 19 inches long.

A few minutes later, they gave her to DH, and I got to see my DD for the 1st time. We only had her for a minute or two, and then they took her to nursery to finish cleaning her and to make sure they got all the meconium. I was finally able to relax, and promptly passed out! DH and I were taken back to our room, and we slept until about 8 when they brought her back to us.

My baby girl was in my arms at the time I was supposed to be induced. There are pics and more info on my blog. Thanks for reading!

Re: She beat the induction..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"