High-Risk Pregnancy

GD moms--when did you find out if you had to be induced or have a c-section?

I'm 34 weeks right now and diet controlled.  My numbers have been good and I've been measuring fine.  I think they are going to do a growth ultrasound this week or next week.  Is that when they will determine if I will go into labor naturally or if they will induce (or c-section)?  My appt. on Thursday was with the nurse practitioner and I mentioned how I have heard that doctor's will induce at 39 weeks.  She said yes, that is typical.  My regular OB has never brought that up or the need for a scheduled c-section.  Would I know that information by now?  

WIth my daughter, I did not have GD and delivered naturally at 37 weeks.  My OB said there is a strong possibility I will deliver around 37 weeks again this time, so maybe that's why he hasn't brought up an induction or c-section.   

Addison Lily--Sept. 14, 2006 Evelynn Rose-- May 18, 2012

Re: GD moms--when did you find out if you had to be induced or have a c-section?

• I had GD with DS and was diet-controlled.  The dr would have let me go to 40 weeks (the week after my due date was the latest) but she was on vacation that week... so if I HAD to be induced, I wanted her as the delivery dr.  So I scheduled the induction for 39w5d.  After 15 hours of labor (with induction) and only 22 mins of pushing, DS was here!!

They kept thinking I would need a c-section since I was fully dilated but only 95% effaced at the end- but I said I'd wait the whole night if I had to- I wanted a vaginal birth... so the dr was a Godsend and manuevered around so I could still deliver!!! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • With #1, they told me from the day I was diagnosed I would be induced. I ended up on insulin after only a week, but they would have induced at 39 weeks either way.

With #2, my new doctor preferred to let nature take it's course if I was diet controlled (but not past 40 weeks). I was put on insulin at 18 weeks, and at that point we knew it would be another 39 week induction.

My inductions took 56 hours (38 of labor) and 22 hours (21 of labor) but I delivered vaginally both times.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been on insulin with both pregnancies.  With DS I was allowed to go to 39 weeks 6 days before induction.  I had an "easy" induction with only about a 10 hour labor.  I've been told that an induction with be scheduled sometime between 39 weeks 1 day and 6 days for this pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went to my 37 week appointment and the doctor discussed the results of the growth ultrasound I had Friday...baby is measuring in the 61% and he didn't mention anything about an induction or scheduling an induction. After asking him about inducing labor, he said that they normally schedule inductions at around 39 weeks. I'd also like to add that I'm on insulin to control my fasting numbers. I'm assuming that if baby doesn't come before my EDD, they will schedule an induction on the 39th week. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • With my son, the did a growth ultrasound and were concerned about his shoulders being much bigger then his head.  They said I could be induced or have a c-section.  They strongly recommended c-section. 

With this baby, I was told at my first appointment that I was too high risk for a VBAC so I'm having a RCS in 7 days. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had diet-controlled GD with DS. I went to 41wk 2d. And it was a VBAC (so induction was not an option for me). The only extra thing I had to do was have BPPs the last 3 weeks.
    The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Kie310Kie310 member

With my first I was diet controlled. I was fine until I started to have sugar in my urine at like 34 weeks. I went on bedrest. I was doing 24 hour urine collections 2 times a week (along w/blood work), and I was already doing NST 2 times a week starting at 32 weeks.

At 38 weeks they told me my BP was getting to high & my sugar levels in my urnine were getting too high & my platelet count kept getting lower. My MFM had me induced. It wasn't decided until that day it was going to happen. If the sugars weren't an issue the plan was to let me go into labor naturally. That just didn't work out last time.

• With DD I knew two weeks after being diagnosed with GD that they wouldn't let me go past 40 weeks (I was put on meds).  If I had been diet controlled they would have let me go to 41 weeks.  My blood pressure started causing some issues towards the end and knew at least by my growth ultrasound at 36 weeks that I would be induced shortly after 39 weeks.  But I was sent to L&D before that was settled.

This time no one has talked to me about induction or not.  I'm hoping my Dr will at least let me go to my due date but will ask her at my next prenatal since I'm on insulin now what her "policy" is.  I was with Kaiser before so it was much more regulated with policy, and less about the individual patient.

FWIW there was never an issue with my baby looking too big.  That is the primary reason for early induction.

• I found out I would be induced with DS when I was diagnosed at 28 weeks.  I went to exactly 40 weeks and was induced on my due date.  I ended up with a c-section, but it had nothing to do with the GD or the induction (I have a fibroid right next to my cervix which doesn't allow me to dilate).  This time around my RCS was scheduled about 4-5 months in advance and I will have it at 39 weeks 1 day.
  • I was diet controlled and had a growth ultrasound at 36 weeks which showed DD to be average size. At my 39 week appointment my OB said we would discuss an induction at my next appointment. At my 40 week (and 2 day appointment) she wrote me a script for an induction the next morning at 7am. I went into labor at 2am.
  • With DS I knew after being diagnosed at 28 weeks I would be induced @ 39 weeks but we didn't schedule it till I was 36 weeks. Also DS was only 6lbs 9oz.... induction doesn't always mean because you have a big baby with GD its also because your placenta can break down much sooner if you have GD which would result in still birth and most drs don't want to risk that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"