Health & Exercise
Options

Running while pregnant and bladder pressure

I am only 19 weeks pregnant, and my belly hasn't gotten really all that big yet.  But when I try to run, I get a lot of uncomfortable pressure on my bladder and it feels like I have to constantly pee (and I always make sure to pee right before working out). There is some crampy-like pain in my abdomen, too. As soon as I stop running, I no longer feel like I have to pee. 

I usually just run between 3 and 4 miles, and it's worse when I first start out.  I find after 15 to 20 minutes, it gets better. 

Any runners out there have any suggestions?  Do the pregnancy running bands do anything?  Is there one someone recommends?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Running while pregnant and bladder pressure

• Options

Yeah, this definitely happens to me, too.  I don't really have any advice and I've never used a support belt.  I'm still running at this point in my pregnancy and ran the whole time during the last one.  All I can say is that you can take a bathroom break or just try to muddle through it.  It can be uncomfortable but I really still enjoy running (or at least trying) during pregnancy so the discomfort is worth it for me.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Agreed, it does bother me a bit.  I try to not focus on having to go, but also pick routes where I can either make a nature call or there are restrooms I can use if it gets to the point where I really truely have to go.  I do have to stop and walk on occassion but usually its more of a side stitch that goes away and then I am fine to keep going.  I haven't tried any bands or anything yet.... my stomache doesn't feel that big plus my running capris seem to give some support. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I used a maternity belt during last pregnancy. I had one for daily wear and one for exercise. I ended up using the daily wear one during exercise anyway because it was more comfortable. The exercise-specific one didn't seem to help lift the baby off my bladder much. Maybe it was too low-profile. You can get the one I used on amazon-- it's called the "mother-to-be" maternity belt. Gotta wear a cotton undershirt or cami under it so it doesn't itch your skin.

It makes a huge difference.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This happened to me a ton when I was pregnant, and I eventually just had to cut down on the amount of time I ran. I'm not sure if this is your case, but with me, I got those cramp-y feeling pains too, which turned out to be mild contractions... my midwife said it was fine that I felt them, but to drink water and cut back on intensity when I did. I didn't run much after mid-second trimester because I got them so much and switched to prenatal yoga and swimming. Anyway, do what feels best for you! GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." x 2

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"