Baby Names

Walter

Older names are swinging back into fashion it seems... do you think this name will make a comeback?  Even if it doesn't become popular again, how do you feel about it?

It's my DH's name.  We're considering it for Baby #2, but I feel like everyone hates it.  I know it should only matter what *I* think, but I can't help but feel bothered that everyone thinks I'm saddling my kid with an old man name.

ETA:  We would not use the nn Wally.  DH doesn't use it either. 

:married in 2008: :baby girl in 2010: :baby boy in 2012:

Re: Walter

• Walter is one I just don't think I can get myself to like, there isn't anything cute about the NN Wally.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    blog
    Diagnosed hypothyroidism.
  • erbearerbear member
    It's awful. It's like Stanley...never going to be sweet, even if old fashioned names are in vogue.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't use it - not because I don't like it, but I don't like when DHs and DSs have the same name. I work with many families who do this and personally I find it too confusing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yikes! Not my style at all. Some older names need to stay older.

Sorry!

• I love it! I think it is the sweetest name for a little boy and would use it in a heartbeat if my husband were on board.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • scorchscorch member

Like. Would you call him Walt?

• I actually like the nn Wally, but that might be because I have an uncle Wally. Walter seems like such an old man name to me, but I like that it is traditional. I think I could warm up to it if I met a cute little baby with the name.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagescorch:

Like. Would you call him Walt?

Yes, I am sure we would! :) 

:married in 2008: :baby girl in 2010: :baby boy in 2012:
  • Its a nice strong name, but still NMS.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's bound to get some love on this board but I do not see it making a come back any time soon and I personally don't like it. I realize our babies will be grown one day but right now I cannot imagine calling my DS or any baby Walter, but hey, meeting a little Walter might just sway me. 

• saham07saham07 member
    I LOVE Walter and Walt so much!!
  • imageaimeern623:

Yikes! Not my style at all. Some older names need to stay older.

Sorry!

I agree.

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • imagesaham07:
    I LOVE Walter and Walt so much!!

Me too! 

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • If we have another DS (not TTC anytime soon) he would probably be named Walter, I LOOOOOVE it! Then again, DS is Harry, and i know that isn't very popular. I think Wally is an adorable NN.

And in response to the PP who mentioned Stanley, that one is also on my list. Apparently I like ugly old man names :)

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• I absolutely love it! :) I would name a little boy Walter in a heartbeat, but my husband doesn't like it.  Boo.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I like it! And I think it works great for all ages, I have a friend whose younger brother's name is Walter, when we were all kids his NN was Wawy

Now he's on his early 20s and goes by Walter

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • kmplskmpls member
    I am not a fan of Walter but I do love Walt!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Big, fat YUCK.
  • I like it. Remember, your baby will be an adult for most of his life. I wouldn't worry about a name's "sweetness."
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • I love the name Walter and the nn Walt!

• BLPL101BLPL101 member
    It is terrible! It is probably one of my least favorite of the old names. My friends and I were talking about middle names and one of my good friend's DH's middle name is Walter and when he told me, I honestly felt sorry for him. It sounds sooo nerdy.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think it's very classic and I actually really love the nn Wally!
  • I like many of the names that fall in the old lady/old man trend, but this is not one at all.  I really, really dislike Walter, like a lot!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love Walt!  Not a great baby name, but he would grow into it!
    TTC since 10/2010; 3 rounds of clomid 2011- BFNs; IUI #1: 6/2012 BFN; IUI #2: 10/2012 BFP, lost our little one around 6 weeks; IUI #3: 3/2012 BFP, Beta #1 13dpo: 464, Beta #2 18dpo: 3,727. U/s #1:5 sacs, 4 heartbeats! U/s 4/26: 5 heartbeats! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"