Adoption
Options

private adoption ? (maybe I mean independent adoption?)

I have a friend who's sister is more concerned with drugs than her two kids (girl 2.5 yrs, boy 1 yr). Both were born cocaine positive but are fine now. We're trying to figure out if they would be a good fit for our family or if we should pass on the opportunity. Can anyone tell me what the process would be should we choose to adopt them? Is there a such thing as her signing over her parental rights over to us? I'm sure that's the quick and easy and also impossible way of doing things :) so can anyone school me?
Mom to an almost 4 y/o and an almost 2 y/o. In process of growing our family through adoption.

Re: private adoption ? (maybe I mean independent adoption?)

• Options
    I'm assuming DCF/CPS is involved in the case? If so, they would be your point of contact for exploring adoption of the children.
  • Options
    If they were positive for cocaine at birth, then I'm assuming that DFPS/CPS has been involved. If that's the case, and they are currently in foster care, you would be considered a kinship placement - meaning you'd have to go through background checks and a home study to make your home and yourselves are good to go by CPS standards (big fat haha! because Texas CPS is over run with stupidity). IF CPS is involved, she will have standard plan to work to get her children back. It is the law for 12 months. After that CPS will seek to terminate rights, or she can voluntarily do that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CPS is not involved to my knowledge because the children live with their grandmother. However, grandma says she can't take care of them so will be contacting whoever about putting them into the system. (ASSuming the mom would relinquish rights before that.)
    Mom to an almost 4 y/o and an almost 2 y/o. In process of growing our family through adoption.
  • Options

Almost everyone I have talked to when we considering foster to adopt didn't have many good things to say about dealing directly with CPS.  So if the kids are in the foster care system or CPS is already involved and you need to work with the system you might consider talking to Lutheran social services about helping you get your background checks and home study done.  Or an agency like them who essentially works for CPS but is easier to work with.  I hope this helps.

Me- 37, DH- 32. TTC- June 2010- Adoption journey started April 2012 image
  • Options
    We did this kind of thing in Canada which does not help you. After our homestudy was completed they were very nice and helpful. They did not want to talk to us before. We are in the US so it was a very different thing. Good luck!
  • Options
    You might want to check in a little further on whether or not the state is involved - when a baby is born positive for drugs (in a hospital) its an automatic referral to CPS as far as I'm aware.
  • Options
    IRRIRR member
    I am not sure what the laws are in Texas, but if you know people and want to adopt and the mother is willing to give you parental rights then it may not be difficult to do, you may just need to fill out a bunch of paperwork.  I would contact a local agency to pose the question to them and see what they have to say.  Good luck with that and keep us posted.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options
    fernanefernane member

imagelonghorn14:
    CPS is not involved to my knowledge because the children live with their grandmother. However, grandma says she can't take care of them so will be contacting whoever about putting them into the system. (ASSuming the mom would relinquish rights before that.)

If they were born addicted, they were most likely taken by the state at birth. The state probably did what we call a "safety plan"', in which the children went to live with a family member that was appropriate. If she plans to request they are put in a foster home, I would let gma know you are nterested, speak to the caseworker, and if you decide to take them in, the CW will do a quick background check. If you pass that, they can be placed with you even if you don't have a home study, and they will do all that while the kids are in your home.  After its all approved and your home is qualified as an adoptive placement, they will then switch you from a kinship placement to an adoptive placement. You will get an adoption worker who will complete the adoption process with you.

What area are you in ? I did adoptions in central texas for the state for several years. If you are around that area, I can refer you to plenty of people who can further guide you. GL! 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"