Success after IF
Options

Would an overnight train trip with a 2yo be crazy?

My parents 50th is next week and they are going away - asked us to go, we could not commit, they rented a smaller place but now found out they are getting moved to a large place.  It would be 12 hours on a train and just DD and I, at night 7-7, all 'sleeping' hours for DD.  BUT is that crazy?  I can't get a room on the train- might as well just fly at that cost.  Hmmmm, exciting yet crazy?  I mean I could bring DVD, toys, sticker book, food, and hope for sleep?  Or am I going to get their and regret it and dread coming back? 

Re: Would an overnight train trip with a 2yo be crazy?

• Options
    I've never traveled with a baby (or a 2 yr old) but I don't think it's crazy.  Especially since it will be at night.  I would just pack all of the toys/food that you mentioned and hope for the best.  It wouldn't keep me from going.  Good luck deciding!
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Will her carseat fit on the train?  If so, I would think she would be able to sleep ok.  We've made 12 hour drives overnight and our son slept the whole way.  As long there is a somewhat comfortable way for her to sleep I don't think it's a crazy idea.  I would think it was crazier to go during the day when she'll be awake.
    It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    CMM05CMM05 member

With my 2 year old.....yes, it sounds crazy!

You could not pay me enough to do that.

Sorry. Maybe in our own car, but on a train: no way!

Actually, with my 2 year old......I would not even attempt a 12 hour car ride in our own car! Ha!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

How long would you be there?  Is it just for the weekend?  It might be a little crazy if it is a short trip with little recovery time if she doesn't sleep, but I might try it. 

I think your plan of bringing stuff to keep her occupied is a good one in case she doesn't sleep.  And frankly, I think the DVDs should be a good bet to get her to fall asleep. :)

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ali212Ali212 member

Well, we travel a lot and still do with both of our girls but I don't think that's crazy at all.  We fly to and from South America a lot which is basically an overnight trip (11+ hours flying) and my girls have been doing it since they were 8 weeks old and it tends to work really easily for us.  

We did it when my older daughter was 2 years old (25 months to be exact) and she was great.  We brought some activities for her to play with (coloring, games, videos, books) to keep her engaged at the beginning of the flight since she was over-stimulated so didn't go to sleep at her normal time but then she went to bed and slept the whole flight.  We've done it several times since then and it's pretty much the same in terms of how it works.  I just did it last week with my girls again and my younger one is 15 months and she slept for most of the flight as well.  I think the overnight part is what makes it so easy since they're tired already and then add in the motion of the vehicle and they can easily fall asleep.

5 IUIs | 4 IVFs | 2 sweet little girls Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd do it with DD when she was 2.

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

This discussion has been closed.