May 2012 Moms
Options

Dr. says "see you next week... if not sooner!"

Today I am 37 weeks pregnant and my doctor doesn't seem to think I'm going to make it three more weeks. Not that it makes a huge difference, but I'm 2 cm dilated and 60% effaced.

In your experience have your doctor's thoughts about such matters proved to be true, or just speculation? I trust my doctor and couldn't be happier with her, but I'm not sure if this is just malarkey to psych me up for the next week or if she honesty thinks baby might come in the next week. I know there is a chance either way, I'm just not sure if I should be telling my boss that I might be taking off work sooner than expected or if I should just leave it alone.  Have any of you second time mom's or new mommies popped early, naturally at your doctors prediction?

Either way, I should probably be packing a hospital bag and sanitizing soothers, rather than sitting on the computer!

Re: Dr. says "see you next week... if not sooner!"

• Options
    I was 2 at 36 and 37 weeks. We'll see if there is a change tomorrow. My doctor has not given me an effacement number but she could feel the head last week. She hasn't given me any indication of timing. 
  • Options

On June 14, I was told, "Next week, but I doubt you'll make it." I made it seven days, but not to my appt. June21, I delivered 4 hours before my appt. My current OB seems to think ill deliver before 39w. she's supposedly pretty good at "guessing".

• Loading the player...
  • Options

With DS, my doctor said that to us two weeks in a row (and even gave us tips on delivering the baby at home if we didn't make it to the hospital because I was already 5cm) before my 40w appointment. I had to call and find out what time my appointment was because I had assumed I would have the baby by then. After that appointment the dr send me to the hospital to deliver.

So I don't recommend getting too psyched up about what the doctor says because the waiting game made me crazy! This time the baby was too high for him to measure my dilation and I told him it didn't matter!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Still pregnant... That's all I have to say about that. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD#1 was due October 5, and for basically the better part of September, I was told that she was going to be a September baby.  She was born October 11.  I walked around dilated at 2 cm/80% effaced for 2 or 3 weeks.  You see how that turned out.

I wish Drs. would just not say anything like that.  Dilation/effacement is not a good indicator of labor.  I kept telling family "any day now" and got all excited for nothing.  All it does is create false hope. 

This time I told myself that I wouldn't get internals for this reason.  However, I caved last week when offered one, but this time I know that it means nothing, and it's more curiosity. 

Don't expect to go early...a lot of FTMs go late as opposed to early.

• Options

I was 2 and 50% at 37 weeks. I'm now 3 and 80% at 39+ weeks.

My doctor said the same thing to me ("See you next week, or sooner!") at my appointment on April 27. I made my May 2 appointment and wouldn't doubt if I make next week's too.

Don't let it get you too excited. I did, and it's just made the last couple weeks absolute torture.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My midwives originally really encouraged me to expect to go past 41 weeks since I was a first time mom. But at 35 weeks they started to say I could go early. And I did. I think it just depends on the provider. They could just be saying it to say it, not because they actually think you'd go early.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Sounds like good news to me!

Regardless, I personally wouldn't pay too much attention in case I didn't go within the week... It would only set me up for a let down. 

• Options

Last week I went in for my 36 week appointment and was told I was 2cm and 80%. My OB said I would be surprised if you make it two more weeks. Well I went in today for my 37 week appointment to find out that I'm at 3cm and 100%. I was told the exact same thing as before. He did say however that since it only took a week to get from 0-2 and then a week from 2-3, I'm already at 100% and this is my 2nd pregnancy, that statistically (his words) I'm likely to go before my due date. Now whether that means two weeks before or two days before I don't know. But it is definitely frustrating because once you're told "any time now," you want that time to come as soon as possible.

Hang in there!

• Options

(lurking from June 12)

When I was pregnant with DD1, my OB said that every week for 4 weeks. I was 3cm and baby was super low. She didn't come until 39w5d. I got my hopes up for nothing. Have your bags ready, but don't count on going anytime soon. It could happen, but it also might not.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"