Adoption

Adoption Interview Today!

This morning we had our first face to face interview at the local Children's Aid. My fiance and I are pursuing domestic adoption in our area through the child protection facilities we have. Our first interview was via phone, so this was that step further. Things went amazingly well. They are fast tracking our file, so rather than doing 3 more interviews, we'll be jumping straight to the homestudy, and should be in the mandatory classes this June!

Our worker is trying to make the June classes work mainly because the next set of classes is in the fall, and we're getting married in Sept, so she'd rather see us do it this summer than wait until the following one after that.

We do have to start considering the big question that came up today though. We want to adopt in the 0-2 age bracket, which is difficult because the crown doesn't rule in favour of CAS until after that age quite often. SO they discussed with us the option of foster to adopt. We do, however, run a risk that the child is returned as CAS doesn't have custody yet at that point... where as if we do straight adoption we wouldn't get our placement until the courts have ruled against the biological parents.

Anyone have any insight on this? Why people made their choices if this is the method of adoption they chose to pursue?

Re: Adoption Interview Today!

• We are doing straight adoption through the foster care system. We have been approved for 10 months & still have not been matched. We are open to older children & sibling groups. I would just say that I have been looking all over the country & it is very rare to find a legally free child that is younger than 2. If they are legally free, they are often part of a sibling group with older children or have severe medical needs. If you are set on only accepting 0-2, I would think your chances would be much greater doing foster to adopt
    The waste in life lies in the love we have not given, the powers we have not used and the selfish prudence that will risk nothing; and which shirking pain, misses happiness as well. Mary Cholmondeley
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are fostering and of course, committed to adopting should a child's case move in that direction. 

We weren't using fostering as a route to adoption. So, my experience and views may be different. 

A baby girl was placed with us, over a year ago, straight from the hospital with no idea how the case would go. 

It's been easy and tough at the same time. It's so easy to love a child who only knows you as their Mom and it's easy, for us, to deal with the "system" because we had no expectations. It's tough to think this little girl could be reunited or placed with kin after 15 months of bonding with us. I would be an emotional wreck- but for her, we would never regret doing it. 

Every case is so different; you can't go into it expecting anything but you can go into it with faith, hope, and love. That is what has gotten us through.

Disregard the cheesiness of that and really think about having hope for children placed in foster care, faith that God will lead your little one to you (even if he/she isn't your first FC) and love for any child placed with you and the (sometimes volatile) families that they come from. 

• Thank you very much for your replies everyone! My fiance and I have been talking a lot and praying on it. The fact that there are SO few legally free children under the age of 2 is something that I definitely did bring up. We're really leaning towards the foster to adopt route, even more so after reading what you ladies have to say! I love having this board, its amazing being able to have other women who understand your thoughts, emotions, concerns going through this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"