September 2012 Moms
Options

Do you count by weeks or months?

Or both?

I saw a calendar that stated pregnancies by weeks AND months, and 22 weeks is the start of month 6. ( I am 22 weeks today and due Sept 3rd)

When I told my mother this, she says, "How is that possible? You're not pregnant for 10 months?!?!?!"

I generally only count by weeks, but thought it was a fun piece of info that I could possibly be 6 months!

Do you think this is right?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

~~~ EDD for Baby #2  6/28/15~~~~

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Do you count by weeks or months?

• Options
    Manx4Manx4 member
    I count by weeks because that's how my doctor counts.  When people ask me how far along I am, I tell them weeks and then roughly estimate it into months if they get that "deer caught in the headlights" look as they try to start figuring out how many months that is. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You are pregnant for 10 months actually. 

I count by weeks, though, now that I am pregnant.  Before this, weeks didn't mean much to me. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Weeks. Always.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    I count by weeks for myself.  When people ask, I tell them months.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    imagemoonstone523:

There are more than 4 weeks in a month so it's more like 9.5 months total.  And since you're technically not PG the first 2 weeks (pre-conception) then it's right around 9 months, give or take a few days.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options

Weeks, definitely.

Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options

imageAndreaR1983:

This.

• Options
    Weeks.  Someone actually asked me how many months I was today and I couldn't answer because I had no idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemrs.jenni:
    Weeks. Always.

This. If I tell other people how far I am, I always say weeks, then "dumb it down" for them if needed. I totally don't mean that to be offensive but I don't know why people ask me "oh, 22 weeks? How many months is that?", why don't they just take 22 divided by 4, just like I would.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

I count in months. Because I can't remember weeks anymore.

But 40 weeks does = ~ 10 months. It's BS that we start counting pregnancy 2 weeks BEFORE conception but the rule is 40 weeks.  

• Options
    The 10-month pregnancy is based on a lunar calendar.  I go by weeks because it is more exact, and I get to count down faster (in my mind). 
    IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrs.jenni:
    imagemoonstone523:

There are more than 4 weeks in a month so it's more like 9.5 months total.  And since you're technically not PG the first 2 weeks (pre-conception) then it's right around 9 months, give or take a few days.

This. I count by weeks and when I get the, "So...how many months is that?" look, I give tell them roughly what month I am. 

• Options

Well, you kind of ARE pregnant for 10 months. If you count a month as 4 weeks, you're pregnant for 10 months. 40 weeks = 10 months. 

I go by weeks. It's easier for me to keep track of. I know sometimes when people ask, "Oh, how far along are you?" and I say "19 weeks!" it throws them off, so I will usually tell them it's about 5 months. But for my own purposes, I go by weeks. My midwife also uses weeks. 

• Options
    Around 23/24 weeks is the start of the sixth month of pregnancy, but you're not six months pregnant until you finish your sixth month. Like when your baby is born, it's in its first year of life, but we don't say a child is 1 year old until they have completed their first year.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I count by weeks, although I assume at some point I might just start saying 5 months, 6 months, etc.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options

Like PP have said, i count weeks, but I always get the blank stare when I tell the. So I roughly calculate it to months for them. My pregnancy journal says I am in my 5th month which I guess is true, I have comleted 4.5 months. (That is a very scary thought by the way- I'm halfway done!)

• Options

I count by weeks to myself but I speak in months to other people. I count weeks cuz it's a better count down. In months I go by the day of my last period or the day you start counting your weeks.  I was "pregnant" (Yes, I know not really) on the 24th of Dec so on the 24th each month I say I am ___ months (like I just hit 4 months). That way it works out to be 9 months and 5 days when I hit my due date.

When people talk about their kids it's always 'ooo she is 3 weeks', but then on her birth day date they say 'she is 1 month'.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My doctor goes by weeks, and I do to. I always tell people how many weeks I am and if they ask months, it's pretty easy to figure out. 20 weeks is half way, so that would be 4.5 months. So tomorrow I will be 22 weeks and that will be 5 months. I guess that's how I do it!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I use weeks but if someone asks how many months I am, I go by the 4 week rule.  I'm 22 weeks so I'm 5.5 months.   I'm not going to split hairs on how many weeks are actually in a month and all that.  I also say that I'm due the first week of September as opposed to saying I'm due September 1st.  
  • Options
    I go by weeks when talking to people like close friends/family. When I'm talking to strangers I just say "I'm about __ months". 
    DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • Options
    imageblindvictory:

Well, you kind of ARE pregnant for 10 months. If you count a month as 4 weeks, you're pregnant for 10 months. 40 weeks = 10 months. 

I go by weeks. It's easier for me to keep track of. I know sometimes when people ask, "Oh, how far along are you?" and I say "19 weeks!" it throws them off, so I will usually tell them it's about 5 months. But for my own purposes, I go by weeks. My midwife also uses weeks. 

No, you are not.  There aren't exactly 4 weeks in any month except maybe February. 

• Options
    Weeks. 
    IMG_5411 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageAndreaR1983:

this

• Options
    imagemrsh0606:
    imageblindvictory:

No, you are not.  There aren't exactly 4 weeks in any month except maybe February. 

Which is why I specified that it's 10 months if you're counting a month as four weeks. The way pregnancy timing is counted anyhow is stupid...it starts before conception and there are a few different ways of figuring your gestation. 

• Options

Weeks...because it is an exact unit of measure. 1 week = 7 days.

Months are not. 1 month could be 28, 29, 30, or 31 days. Too confusing.

image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • Options
    I do both, because every time I say how many weeks I am, DH looks at me like he has no clue what it means.  I try to make it easier for him. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I say weeks. I never have any idea how many months I am (stupid pregnancy math), though others are quick to suggest a number of months to me.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    that is funny mhanson18 I am 22 wks and due the 3 of Sept to... But I thought I would be 5 months since there is 4 months left if you count May
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"