Food Allergy

Elimination diet not working.....feeling so defeated

So DS has had skin issues since he was 2 months old.  Sebhorreic dermatitis which seems to be getting a little better and eczema.  Mainly on his face.  In the past month it has gotten really itchy (poor baby), but is amazingly still an extremely happy baby.

We finally got into see an allergist and I had already been on a no dairy, nut, soy or egg diet for about a week..  They did the skin test and it came back mild peanut and milk and more significant egg.  The plan was to clear up his skin using hydrocortisone type ointment and aquaphor and benadryl at night for one week and then try adding a food back in.  He IS on one bottle of Nutramigen a day and the rest is BM.  Ive been using steriod ointments all along but hate having to continue to use them.  Anyways, his skin started to clear up for the first 5 days yet still incredibly itchy.  Then he started to get small breakouts on his face which is leading me to believe this diet is not working.  Could the Nutrmigen be a culprit too?  Ive tired the Neocate and he flat out refuses to eat it.  The Nutramigen is nasty as it is.  I just dont know what to do anymore.  This diet sucks.  I dont want to stop BFing, but im wondering if it is causing more harm than good. Our currentl plan is for me to stick to the siet and try to clear up his skin more with ointments and then start adding only baked dairy foods back in as soon as his skin is clearn enough.

He could of course be allergic to something else in my diet that he wasnt tested for.  Any advice?  He just so itchy and I feel so bad.  Luckily he still sleeps well, but I know its bothersome to him.  Plus the formula is causing green stools...is that normal?  Its also causing much more frequent stools...Im not sure if his body is agreeing with it.  I just feel like this diet is not working because he is still so itchy and breaking out.  Ive been very very good to read labels.  Thanks for listening

Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Elimination diet not working.....feeling so defeated

• I have the exact same issues with my four month old. The GI wanted me to take out dairy,soy,wheat, eggs,citrus,shellfish,tomatoes,berries,and nuts. I am keeping a food journal so I know exactly what I have eaten prior to a flare up. This is what helped me identify berries and tomatoes as triggers. We see an allergist next month so I will be interested to see what on that spectrum he is allergic to and what he is reacting to regardless!! Good luck!! 
  • it can take up to 4 weeks for the milk proteins to clear from your system & the babies. hang in there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, it definitely takes longer than a week. I ultimately failed at the elimination diet(I did one from 5 weeks onto about 12 weeks), and DS was prescribed Elecare(his gas/pain/bloody stools cleared within 24 hours) . However, so many women are successful. I wouldn't give up just yet!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It could be the Nutramigen, or it could be something else in your diet.  I did an elimination diet, and then rotated those foods and found out that one of the low allergen foods (sweet potatoes) did bother my DD.  And as a PP said, it can take a few weeks for everything to clear out of your system.  I'd try the Neocate again--since Nutramigen does have milk protein in it (it's just partially broken down). 

My older DD had eczema, and Aquaphor made her break out worse.  I don't know if you've tried other eczema creams like Vanicream or Mustela Stelatopia on him instead of the Aquaphor.

I stayed on a very limited diet for about 10 months, and at that point my DD's tummy problems got dramatically better.  It was really tough, though.  Good luck to you!

• Try alimentum it is best for kids with food allergies, I was a nanny to a child with life threatening egg and milk allergy and this was all they would allow.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Try neocate or elecare ... I was a pediatric dietitian working at a level 3 NICU and outpatient specializing in food allergies and Autism Spectrum.  Continue the elimination diet, take omega 3 supplements (non-fish source) and go to the neocate or elecare.  Fatty acid deficiency (can happen fast if breastfeedint) can cause flaky, itchy skin for both you and baby.  If there is a level 2/3 NICU close by, see if they have a pediatric dietitian you can speak with. Hope this helps!
  • After eliminating what seemed like everything from my diet with no noticeable improvements I finally gave in and switched to soy formula. It was like I instantly had a different baby.

I was upset that I had to stop BFing, but the relief my LO had was definitely worth it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pawcallpawcall member

imagelauraB32006:
    Try neocate or elecare ... I was a pediatric dietitian working at a level 3 NICU and outpatient specializing in food allergies and Autism Spectrum.  Continue the elimination diet, take omega 3 supplements (non-fish source) and go to the neocate or elecare.  Fatty acid deficiency (can happen fast if breastfeedint) can cause flaky, itchy skin for both you and baby.  If there is a level 2/3 NICU close by, see if they have a pediatric dietitian you can speak with. Hope this helps!

Ditto Neocate/Elecare - It's all my son can have.  It's very expensive, but insurance may cover it and your Ped. can probably find you some samples to try.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"