March 2012 Moms

Tell me your induction story...

I'm going to be induced on Monday and I'm really nervous! I'm curious how your timeline went and if you ended up with a C/S at the end. My doctor wants to induce me because she thinks I'm narrow and thinks baby is already over 8lbs. TIA!! 

TTC#2: 8/17/14 // BFP: 9/5/14

TTC#1: 7/30/11 // BFP: 8/22/11
DS: Carson Robert 4/29/12

Re: Tell me your induction story...

• nah82nah82 member

Not typing it all again, but here is a link to mine:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/64637464.aspx

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was induced for medical reasons. I didn't want pitocin so I requested they break my water instead of starting with pit. 5 hrs later my dd was born. I never used pit and didn't have a csection.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I was induced with pitocin.  Contractions came on fast after they broke my water.  Got the epidural and it was smooth sailing to her birth.  14 hours from walking into the hospital to holding her with only 2 hours if pain total.  I only pushed for about 40 minutes.
  • I was the opposite...induced at 37 weeks because baby was small and wasn't growing well (plus a host of other problems). Had 4 doses of Cytotec overnight, each 4-5 hours apart. Got to a tight 3cm. Then started Pitocin and had my water broken. At 4cm, baby just wasn't handling labor well and kept having concerning decels, despite me being on oxygen. So off to the OR we went after a 22 hour labor attempt. Had a c-section and baby did great. Not how I wanted to give birth, but honestly, I'm glad it worked out that way. It was so much easier than I had expected and recovery wasn't too bad. All that really matters in the end is getting that healthy baby!
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I was induced at 4:30pm on a Friday and didn't have my LO until 8:28pm on Saturday, via c-section. They started with cervadil at 4:30p on Friday and then Pitocin at 5:00am on Saturday. Contractions weren't bad at all, but around 9am I had the epidural only because the anesthesiologist was on the floor administering one to a different patient and then would be gone for hours in a lengthy surgery. So it was pretty much get it now although I wasn't feeling pain, or wait and be in a ton of pain and not be able to get it until he was out of surgery. I went on contracting, pain free and dilating VERY slowly. From the time the Pitocin was started until we made the decision of a C-Sec (15 hours) I was only at 7cm. I was pain free until about 7:00pm, when I started feeling AWFUL back labor (which feels like the baby took a wrong turn and was trying to push his way out the back door...so much pressure and painful). On top of the back labor, I wasn't allowed to eat after 5pm the night before so I was going on empty for 27 hours and was extremely weak and shaky. My Dr came in at 7:30pm and gave us the option to continue and try for a vaginal birth, or go ahead with a c-section. I did not want a c-section, but I was so weak and shaky that I just could not imagine going a few more hours just to get to 10cm and then have to PUSH for who knows how long after that. I couldn't make up my mind and the Dr ended up coming back in and said I had to have the c-sec since I was so weak; she thought it was the best. So once I was prepped for surgery, it only took about 15 minutes and Nathan James was born at 8:28pm on St. Patrick's Day!
    Married DH 6.6.09
    BFP#1 6.12.10 EDD 2.20.11 MMC 8.10.10 D&C 8.11.10
    BFP#2 7.17.11 EDD 3.11.12 DS Born 3.17.12
    BFP#3 10.30.14 EDD 7.10.14 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    http://i62.tinypic.com/r0614p.gif  movie animated GIF  Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I was induced at 39 weeks bc my placenta fluid was low and baby's heart rate was dropping.  When I was admitted to hospital I was already 3cm and 90% effaced.  Pitocin started at 8pm. By 11:30pm they broke my water bc I was 5cm and 100% effaced. 45 minutes later and 4 pushes and he was born!  No epidural! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • They broke my water at 10:30 and contractions started immediately. I dilated to a six by noon and got my Epi. Then they started pitocin. I started pushing at 4:30 and he was here at 5:51 pm. I had an awesome induction! I'm a FTM.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's normal to be nervous...  I like to think that when I'm nervous it's because I care.  :)

I was induced with both of my kids.  With DS (baby #1), at 40 weeks I was measuring 2 weeks ahead, and DH had shoulder issues on delivery.  Thus, I was fearful of his size.  I was induced at 40 weeks, 2 days.  I had a ripe cervix (3 cm/ 50-75% effaced), so I was definitely a candidate for induction.  They started the pitocin around 12:30 pm, broke my water around 2:30, and I got an epidural around 4 pm.  I delivered DS at 3:43 am vaginally.  I had a 2nd degree tear/episiotomy.  My labor was really easy once I got the epidural.  I was able to sit up, talk and joke with DH and my ILs, etc...  It just seemed to take forever.  I did some practice pushes around 1 am, but he never descended.  DH and I took a nap for about an hour or so and I woke up to a tremendous amount of pressure.  I paged my nurse and I was ready to push.  I pushed again for 30 minutes and out came DS. 

With DD (baby #2), I had a lot more contracting ahead of time, and walked around ~4 cm for a good 2 weeks.  I never went into labor on my own.  At 40 weeks, 3 days, my OB wanted me to be induced because he didn't want me to go over 41 weeks since DS was nearly 9 lbs.  So... at 40 weeks, 6 days, he induced me.  This time he broke my water first (7:45 am) and started the pitocin about 45 minutes later (8:30).  This labor was a bit scarier as I had blood pressure issues once I got the epirdural.  I had to lay down the entire time, and DD did not tolerate the combination of the pitocin and epidural.  They wound up turning off the pitocin around 10 and fortunately I didn't need it.  At 12:15 pm, my OB came in to see how I was doing, and I'm pretty sure he was going to talk about a c/s.  But, when he checked me I was complete!  So, I started pushing about 10 minutes later and DD came out at 12:36 pm.  I pushed for less than 10 minutes and I think 3 times?  She was almost the same size as DS- 8 lbs 11 ozs. 

Anyway, both inductions were successful.  For DS, long, easy labor and a somewhat difficult recovery from the tearing/episiotomy.  With DD, short, more challenging labor but easy delivery and recovery.  For both kids, I went in wanting a healthy and happy baby along with an epidural.  I did not have a birth plan, and was open to the thought of a c/s if it brought me a healthy and happy baby.  That was the most important thing for me, and it worked both times. 

• imagea2003tiger:
    Had 4 doses of Cytotec overnight, each 4-5 hours apart. Got to a tight 3cm. Then started Pitocin and had my water broken. At 4cm, baby just wasn't handling labor well and kept having concerning decels, despite me being on oxygen. So off to the OR we went after a 22 hour labor attempt. Had a c-section and baby did great. Not how I wanted to give birth, but honestly, I'm glad it worked out that way. It was so much easier than I had expected and recovery wasn't too bad. All that really matters in the end is getting that healthy baby!

This almost exactly! Was completely closed and had two doses of Cytotec. Spent a miserable night in pain with pit started in the am. The doctor broke my water and I got to almost a 4 ( though I got my epidural right when I was a 2-3). My c-section was a great experience. It was over quickly with minimal discomfort. I was walking the halls the next day and had a super easy recovery. Honestly, after my c-section, would never choose to labor.  

• I was induced at 41 weeks.. they started with Cervidil (sp?) overnight and within about 2 hours of placing that I went into labor on my own so we didn't need to start the Pitocin in the morning as we had planned.  Then by the next afternoon they were going to break my water and as we waited for the doc, it broke on its own.  I pushed for 40 minutes and we did use Pitocin for the last 5 minutes or so when my contractions slowed down but I sure couldnt tell any difference at that point.  Nothing about my labor/delivery/semi-induction was negative or scary  :) 
  • long story... and since I never shared it here... here goes... the somewhat condensed version...

I went to 41w3d when my dr had me induced. I was "completely closed up" and not even remotely favorable for an induction, but my little one was measuring in at almost 10lbs and my ob's practice doesn't allow you to go past 41w5d. So I got to the hospital on Wednesday night, first induction attempt with the foley balloon failed miserably. It actually made me bleed a lot and wouldn't stay in. So then came the cervidal.

Thursday morning checked, no progress. I think they gave me another round of cervidal at that point. I can't remember. Checked again, no progress. By Thursday night, they started discussing other options. I had my doula come anyways (even though I wasn't contracting and didn't need her at that point) and she tried a bunch of "moves" to get the baby to engage the cervix. Nothing worked.

By early Friday morning, with absolutely no progress whatsoever, we had them break my water. Contractions really started picking up and they decided to also try the foley balloon again since I was a whole ONE CM by then. The balloon again made me bleed, stretched me to a three, and then popped out. It wouldn't stay in. I had to get in the shower to ease the uncomfortableness from my contractions and the shower worked perfectly. I was able to relax and take each surge with breathing and thought "geez this is getting difficult... there's got to be more progress!" and felt so positive about the whole situation. While I was in the shower, I started shivering uncontrollably and thought it just had to do with the water, even though it was pretty hot. Dr came back and checked me again: NO PROGRESS!!! I felt so unbelievably defeated and almost betrayed by my body. They checked my temp and I also had a low grade fever. Everything we tried seemed to just be rejected from my body.

Finally I decided to go for some pitocin to get things moving. My contractions were coming on STRONG and out of control... my drip was only to a 4 and my body just couldn't handle it. My doula said she's seen women take a drip at 40 and not even remotely have the contractions that my body was producing. At one point I was having the worst contraction and just waiting for it to end... and it never did. My doula and nurse couldn't believe how long that contraction lasted for... and it was one after another. Boom, boom boom. I was dealing with it hoping that it was making progress and when I was checked again... there was NO PROGRESS. I was crushed and at that point just broke down crying.

My dr wanted me to go in for a c-section considering how long I had been there for, the fact that there was no progress past 3cm with all of that, and because I was running a fever. My last attempt at a vaginal delivery was to accept the epidural and let things go on a little longer with the pitocin. Within 15 minutes it was administered and I was able to relax a little bit. And then the pain started up again, but in my back. I swear it was all a comedy of errors! One thing after another, after another. Finally at about 8pm on Friday, almost 48 hours later, we all said enough is enough and went in for a csection. My beautiful baby girl was born 9lb8oz and perfect!

As they were stitching me up, my blood pressure dropped considerably and they were having trouble getting it back up... it was really touch and go for a while there and everyone in the room did such a great job at keeping my husband calm, and they only kept him in the room because he kept me somewhat "alert". After they stabilized me, they sent me to ICU where I had to stay for the next two days and get four blood transfusions. I was able to see my baby once during that whole time and I was so heartbroken. The only thing that kept me sane was that she was healthy and perfect.

Six days later, we were able to leave the hospital finally! I'm still recovering and dealing with feeling faint if I'm on my feet for too long, but each day is better and I have more energy.

I know my story isn't "the norm" but I thought I'd share it anyways... because really, anything can happen and it's good to know and be prepared for whatever comes your way.

• I was induced with pitocin. They started the induction around 6:30am, very soon after my contractions started. They broke my water around 8:30am. After that my contractions got pretty intense. At around 9ish they said I was only dilated to 2. I got an epidural at around 11. Doctor came in for a check & said I was at 10 & it was time...I only pushed for about 20min & had my DS at 1:35pm :) I was 40wks & 2d. Being induced wasn't as scary as I had anticipated. I thought I was going to be in labor for like 24hrs
  • I was induced at 33w4d due to complications with LO. I had 12 hours of labor, 6 of which I would call "active". I didn't have an epi, but found the pain managable and I didn't end up with a c-section.  My nurse was awesome and kept a close eye on my dosages.

I didn't realize how dreaded induction could be until talking with people about it after having Lo, but it wasn't so bad IMO. 

• I was induced at 40 weeks, 1 day.  My labor was pretty quick.  Went in at midnight.  Started Pitocin at 12:30.  At that point I was 3 cms.  Fell asleep and woke up at 2 in pain with a lot of pressure.  Nurse said I wasnt having strong contractions and that it was too soon.  It turned out that the external monitors weren't positioned correctly so my contractions weren't registering to their fullest extent. She checked me and I was at 6 cms.   At that point, I got my epidural.  By 4 am, I was at 8 cms and by 6:30 am, I was at 10.  The doctor broke my water but the baby was high so I couldn't push yet.  Also, my OB had a C/S so I had to wait to push.  I started pushing at 8:45 am and my daughter, Abigail Lee, was born 19 mins later at 9:04.  I did have an episiotomy.  Good luck!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"