June 2012 Moms
Options

Pack n Play as baby's bed for first few months?

Hello :)

We've bought a Graco Pack n Play with the intention of using it as baby's bed for the first few months (as long as he sleeps in our room).  However, my friend told me that she was told by a nurse that it was not a good choice as it is not firm enough for baby's back.  I can't find much info online...does anybody know anything about this?  Are you planning on using the Pack n Play as a bed for the first little while?

Re: Pack n Play as baby's bed for first few months?

• Options
    We used a pack n' play for our little one's bed for the first 4 months. The one we have had a bassinet feature. Don't know if that makes a difference. I don't, personally, feel that the crib mattresses are that much more firm.
  • Options
    We are using a pack and play for the first few months. I don't see the issue.
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are planning on doing that.  We have the bassinete feature- and to me it is too firm and was wondering about adding some light padding.  It feels like a board to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Its funny that you just posted this because my husband and I were just having this debate. Ours comes with a little "napper" and we were debating if the baby would sleep in that at night or in the "bassinet" part.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We'll be doing this, but like a lot of others, we have the bassinet feature in ours. Even without, in the low "playpen" setting, it still feels rock hard to me, which is what it's supposed to feel like.

If you have the bassinet feature it should say that it's only good until X lbs, because I could see a larger baby not feeling/having enough support when it's in the little feature portion.

claudia poirier
    Little Dude: 16 Apr. 2009 | Little Doll: 10 Jun. 2012

• Options
    We used the bassinet feature of our PnP for my DD until we moved her into her crib at 7 weeks old.  We will do the same with this one!  It is pretty firm!!
    Alicia Mrs. since 03.05.05 imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For our first we used the graco pack n play with the bassinet. It is firm enough and the bassinet feature really helps you out bc you don't have to bend as far.  We will do the same for this little one
  • Options
    Kind of. I am doing the travel lite mini crib.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    We got a Graco Pack n Play with the bassinet feature with the intention of using it for the baby to sleep in for at least the first few weeks.  I thought it would be nice to have the baby close by.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think the napper is safe for overnight sleeping, and actually we didn't use the napper feature on ours much at all... just removed it, because it was in the way of use of the bassinet part, with the changing tray attached.  Our first baby slept in the bassinet of the pack n play at night for two weeks and then moved to crib.  With this new baby, we are planning on doing the same, but not sure how long we'll keep him in it.  We'll see how my c-sec recovery goes.  Our nursery is upstairs, so having the pack n play downstairs as a temporary crib is essential for us in the beginning.
  • Options

imageacbfreire:
    Kind of. I am doing the travel lite mini crib.

We are using one of these too. The mattress seems firm enough to me, so long as you don't use it past the recommended weight limit.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    My son slept in the bassinet part of his pack n play for months while he was in our room and we will do the same again with this baby.  All of my friends have used the same.  I have never heard anything about it not being safe.  For those that want a little more you can get a quilted pack n play sheet (Amazon, BRU) that adds a little more padding while still keeping it safe and firm.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagejillane513:
    Its funny that you just posted this because my husband and I were just having this debate. Ours comes with a little "napper" and we were debating if the baby would sleep in that at night or in the "bassinet" part.

Ours has a newborn napper & we will be putting LO in that. I think its fine. Lots of moms & babies go this route for sleep for the first few months. GL on your decision. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ours has a napper that we will be using in our room until she moves to her crib. I've debated not using the napper portion and just laying her on the mattress, but we're going to see how she does with the napper and go from there.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageDavesgrl2011:
    We are planning on doing that.  We have the bassinete feature- and to me it is too firm and was wondering about adding some light padding.  It feels like a board to me.

I was thinking the same thing... it's almost rock hard. But i'm planning on using the pack n play as well with the bassinet feature.

• Options
    imageamberlynnr7:

imagejillane513:

Ours has a newborn napper & we will be putting LO in that. I think its fine. Lots of moms & babies go this route for sleep for the first few months. GL on your decision. 

The only reason that we kept going back and forth is that the instructions state over and over again that "parental supervision" is required when using the napper. I didn't know if a parent sleeping nearby counted as "parental supervision". The other portion of that decision was that the bassinet is more like the crib and I was thinking that it would make the transition to crib easier to start by sleeping on something similar.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would say in the bassinett part of it or in the bottom would be fine.  Hospitals even give out PNP's to families who are low income and have no safe place for their baby to sleep so I would say that's being considered safe.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This would have been an interesting thing to have. Try to search out other options or stick to a crib with a good kids beddings in between. Im sure that with all options given to you in this one, you would be able to choose the right one. I hope everything would be well to you and to your baby. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"