Parenting after 35

Baby Matinees?

So I see the Bump is sponsoring these kid-friendly movie thingys.   Got me to thinkin' (which is usually bad).

I dunno.  If I'm going to all the trouble of going to the movie, I don't want my kid there with me.  I want to enjoy the film and not have to entertain him.  To me, the movies are an escape and a break from being a Mom for a few hours.

Don't get me wrong.. I applaud the Bump for putting these things together.  I'm just not sure I'd go.

Thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Matinees?

• imageBrideBuddies:

So I see the Bump is sponsoring these kid-friendly movie thingys.   Got me to thinkin' (which is usually bad).

I dunno.  If I'm going to all the trouble of going to the movie, I don't want my kid there with me.  I want to enjoy the film and not have to entertain him.  To me, the movies are an escape and a break from being a Mom for a few hours.

Don't get me wrong.. I applaud the Bump for putting these things together.  I'm just not sure I'd go.

Thoughts?

First of all - anytime I see "Matinee" in the subject, I keep reading it as Manatee.  no clue why but I get all confused why we're talking about marine mammals on the Bump.

Second of all - for nursing moms, spending 2 hours at a movie isn't entirely feasible (my at 9 months out I still either nurse or pump every 2 hours)  I'm guessing theater goers would rather have me nurse my baby than hook my pump up next to them in the theater LOL

On top of that, I think it might be a great oportunity for socializing and meeting other moms/families.

I'm a fan - although as a working mom it completely sucks and I'm jelous of mom's who do get to go!

• I feel the same way. DS only watches stuff for 15 minutes max anyways. Why would I drag him out and force him to try to sit through a film? More importantly, why would I want to watch a film with a million other screaming kids? Stick out tongue

ps. Love the new picture of C!

• Loading the player...
  • I used to do it with T, she would fall asleep withing the first ten minutes. Then I tried to do it when one of the LOTR movies was showing, She would not settle down, bouncing on my lap, and yelling HORSEY every 10 seconds. It was driving me nuts, so I left. And I've never tried to do that again. I like going without the kids so I can watch the movie without inturruptions.
  • I actually went to one when I was on maternity leave.  With DD still so little it actually was pretty easy.  I fed her and she got a little freaked out with the noise (my only complaint was they didn't reduce the volume on the previews) but she cuddled against me and fell asleep and I put her in her carrier and enjoyed the movie.  I don't have any family members around and we haven't found a sitter yet, so I do wish they would do these on a Saturday so that I could go again.  It also kind of sucks that it's only one movie once a month so I'm still missing a lot of movies I want to see, but I will see them when they come out on pay per view.
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    I am totally with you on this one.  I know some of my friends went to the movies during the day when they had little ones and they would go when it was naptime so the baby would sleep the whole time.  At the place near me that does this, they keep the volume lower and don't make it pitch black.  I never went and had no interest.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I would definitely take C to go see Baby Manatees.
  • My newborn nurses every 2 hours like clockwork.  I *NEEDED* to see the Hunger Games.  DH had a Friday afternoon off work, and although it wasn't "Bump Sponsored" we went to our local theatre for a matinee.  I took the boppy, stretched LO out across my lap and settled in. He nursed the first 45 minutes, dozed about an hour, then nursed again through the end of the movie. I did keep one hand over the ear of his that was facing up because I worried about his hearing.  It was really a nice time. Great to get out of the house and fun to spend time with DH that was sorta like a date.  3 other people in the whole theatre.  We might consider doing it again, but as LO is getting a little older and more alert, I'm not sure it would work as well. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"