Health & Exercise
Options

Runners - help!

So I am running my first half in less than a month.  On my mind is pre-race nutrition.  It seems that I either eat too much or too little before a run.  What do you eat and how far in advance do you have it?

I have a 12 mile run tomorrow, probably mid-morning so I need to practice!

Re: Runners - help!

• Options
    I have done several halves and a full marathon. I have never been able to eat much before a run. Usually a banana or maybe a banana and a piece of toast. Just remember you need sugar at least every hour so Gatorade and gels after the first hour of running.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    I echo pp -- I usually have no problems when I eat too little but I always feel sick if I eat too much.  My standard pre-race/long run meal is toast with peanut butter and 1/2 a banana.  I eat about an hour before I run. If I eat much more than that, I will feel sick.  If I run more than about 10-12 miles, I alternate water with Gatorade in my fuel belt.  I have experimented a lot with during race refueling gels and they all (Gu, Clif shots, whatever) make me feel really sick so the only thing I've been able to use is the jelly belly sport beans.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I usually have a bagel before and 2 gel packs during the run
    pregnancy
  • Options

My go to meal pre-long runs and pre-race is a single piece of toast with a bit of peanut butter and honey. And a cup of coffee. I try to drink the coffee at least an hour before I have to leave the house or hotel - to give me time to go to the bathroom.

My favorite running "fuel" are the Gu Chomps. I've never been a fan of the gels, and tried the Shot Bloks which are bigger and harder to chew. But I love the Gu Chomps. I generally eat one with water every 4-6 miles during a race (every 6 miles on a long training run).

But I would definitely try a few different things to see what works for you. Last thing you want to do is try something new the morning of the race.

• Options
    It varies for a lot of folks.  Often times before a longer run or marathon I'll do some instant oatmeal or half a bagel with PB about an hour before.  I might also have a little coffee to get the plumbing working.  I usually use the Just Plain flavored Gu's, they work well for me.  I typically take one every half hour or so during my run with water.  Also of course making sure you eat a good meal the night before, but not too much.  I try to not have too much dairy the night before as it usually leads to me having to mach a pit stop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I usually have a bagel with peanut butter, a banana and a cup of coffee about an hour before I run. During a run or race I'd have a GU gel every 45-60mins.

Definitely start figuring out what works for you sooner rather than later.

• Options

So I'm not a "runner" by any means but I did run/walk a 1/2 marathon! It was a lot of fun! I ate whole wheat toast with peanut butter before leaving the house in the am. Then had Honey Stinger chews and a bar in my pocket. The bar was gone before the start of the race and the chews were great when I needed a little pick me up. The race I did provided gel so I didnt bring any. But I did get power aid and water at every opportunity. 

Good Luck and Have fun!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I can't eat anything before I run.  If I even eat a big dinner the night before a long run I will get sick.  I did my first 1/2 in October and during the race I took small amounts of the energy drinks they handed out during the race.  But I never drank the whole cup, just a little. Best of luck with your 12 mile run!! You are doing great if you are already up to 12 miles.  I only trained up to 10, and then did the 1/2!! 
    Alison & Britten-Married April 16, 2011 in Miami Beach Farrah Ann arrived May 4, 2012- 6 weeks early! 5 lbs 6 oz. and 19 1/4 inches Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"