High-Risk Pregnancy

XP: Blood pressure question

My bp is always slightly under the typical 120/80.  Even in my confirmation visit it was 117/76.  Well last week I went to a women's show and they had a bunch of healthcare vendors.  One of the vendors had free bp screenings. I was there with a friend of mine who has had bp issues so we stopped and both got ours taken.  Mine was 130ish/80ish.  The guy told me that was a bit high and that I should come back later in the day and try again.  I did and it was still in that same range.  They recommended that I take it again in a few days to see if it went back down.  Over the past week I've taken it several times and every time it is in this range. 

I've googled preeclampsia and it seems like they only consider that once you've reached hypertension levels, which my levels indicate I am "pre-hypertension".  What does this mean?  Am I at a higher risk of getting preeclampsia?  I was hoping that maybe it is a side effect of the zofran or something but I couldn't find anything to support that idea.  I'm a little nervous about this because I'm really hoping to avoid complications. 

LO #1 (2/10/05) Expecting #2 (11/24/12) Pregnancy Ticker

Re: XP: Blood pressure question

• It's not something I'd be overly concerned about, but maybe mention to your OB at your next visit.  If you are really worried, blood pressure cuffs and stethoscopes are widely available at drugstores and fairly inexpensive and it's not hard to take your pressure at home and monitor.

Stress and activity can do funny things to b/p.  They have been watching me like a hawk because I've had high readings (130s/90) and I've been tested several times for pre-eclampsia (all negative).  Interestingly, I looked over my history and every single high reading has come when I've been running late for the appointment (with my home health nurse for my injection) or when I've gone to the doc's office straight from work (a mid-day appt instead of an early morning appointment).

Given that my job is exceptionally stressful, it suddenly made a lot more sense as to why I would have such inconsistent readings (at home, especially on weekends, it would be perfectly normal.  I had plenty of normal in-office readings as well - when I wasn't coming straight from work).  

But overall, I wouldn't be concerned about one or two readings that are off.  Talk to your doctor, let them know, but don't stress about it at this point in time.  Do your best to be healthy by eating well and exercising if you are allowed to do so.  The rest is just out of your hands.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• I wouldn't rely on BP screenings that aren't at your doctors. Preeclampsia rarely is before week 20. My BP was a little higher in the 1st tri than it was in the 2nd tri. But thats not very high or anything to worry about. 
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • They don't really worry until the bottom number becomes elevated above 90. I sat with BP in my first pregnancy around 130/90 until 22 weeks and it jumped up. If it's still reading in the 80s, don't worry about it and the top number, don't worry about it. I got HBP once again as soon as I became pregnant and I have readings (I'm on meds) that will read 148/78 and my peri is pleased with it, even though my top number can read high (not all the time). This is why they take your BP every appointment because it can spike and get high (typically in 3rd trimester). I wouldn't sweat it right now. :)

-Donna Married 11/19/09 Pregnancy #1: Son born March 22, 2011 after 3+ long months on bed rest due to PIH Pregnancy #2: Early miscarriage Pregnancy #3: Are we crazy for 2 under 2? Due 11/9/2012, diagnosed as Chronic HBP for this pregnancy along with gestational diabetes BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't really stress about it (that will elevate it!).  Mention it to your doctor, if you are concerned call before your next appointment and see what they want to do.  I would recommend getting a cuff for home and monitoring.  I'm considered high risk for high bp, which I have been on meds for around 6 years.  My first pregnancy was closely monitored and ended up without any issues (no pre-e, etc.).  I did do a few days of modified bed rest when I did have a couple high readings but it was fine.  But like pp said, they more so worry about the bottom number.  Just watch caffeine and salt intake and increase liquids and rest when possible.  Good luck :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"