Stay at Home Moms
Options

Do we make our kids this way?

Ok, to sum up what I'm about to ask - Are some babies actually born "high needs" or do we condition them to be that way? 

I'm a FTM and just trying to survive having a young baby. It seems to me that even from day 1 in the hospital she hated being put down. She'd just scream. We never succeeded at getting her to fall asleep anywhere but at the breast or in the Ergo. I didn't plan on co-sleeping, but that's what we've ended up doing because there's no other option (I do enjoy it though haha). So, she's by definition a high needs baby - difficult to get to sleep, short naps, eats often, hates her car seat, doesn't like anyone else holding her, etc, etc. No colic or anything... just a difficult baby. And I'm a laid back mom, I promise I am.

I just accepted it at first, and it doesn't really bother me... Sure, it's difficult, but I love her to death :) However, talking about what she's like, I've had SO many other moms say, "Oh yeah, that's just like what my first was like." And it's got me thinking... why are so many first babies like this and so few 2nd (an onwards) babies? Did I somehow condition DD to be so needy, or was she really born this way? I really honestly think it's the latter, but it just seems odd that it's so common in firstborns. Maybe it's a mixture...

Thoughts? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Do we make our kids this way?

• Options
    I think they're just born a certain way.  DS is the opposite of your daughter, from day one he has been so laid back and calm.  His cousin on the other hand who is only a couple wks older is more like your daughter and needs more stimulation and pretty much 24/7 to be entertained in some way, while my son is happy to play with his toys at least for a little while, by himself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My son was a fairly high needs baby. He was a happy child and easily pleased, but always needed to be held. I couldn't lay him down in a bassinet or he'd scream. He needed to be held for naps/bed. Fast forward 2 years and we found out he has sensory processing disorder. He still craves touch quite often.

To answer your question, I think it's a combination of temperament and parenting. I also agree with the PP that at 6 weeks you can't really predict what kind of baby you'll have.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First, I think it's extremely common/normal behavior for a six week old.

Second, both of my kids were like this but *I* found it easier with #2 because I had already been down that road.  When it's your first baby and they are needy (as most babies are), it can be a shock to your system as you aren't used to providing that type of care.  With subsequent children, you have become used to parenting and, for me at least, even if the behavior is the same, it's easier to handle because you know what you're doing. 

• Options
    Sounds like any baby I've ever met! My second is much more of a "high needs" baby/kid than my first one. It's all in personality, not birth order IMO! Keep on chugging and do whatever it takes to survive the early days :)
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In my personal opinion, it's more about nurture than nature.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageMamatoJackson:

Second, both of my kids were like this but *I* found it easier with #2 because I had already been down that road.  When it's your first baby and they are needy (as most babies are), it can be a shock to your system as you aren't used to providing that type of care.  With subsequent children, you have become used to parenting and, for me at least, even if the behavior is the same, it's easier to handle because you know what you're doing. 

This is what I'm thinking. Sounds exactly like my 6 week olds. DS1 screaming daily from 4-8 unless I held him and walked. I finally learned that he was getting overtired and learned how to prevent it. With DS2, I watched his tired signals and the clock like a hawk. I just knew how to prevent things before they started. And I was used to the level of care so it did seem way easier.  

• Options
    And there's nothing wrong with nursing them or rocking them or holding them to sleep. That's what they do at that age. Your doing fine. There are lots of changes that will come with time. Just do what you have to now and don't worry about it. 
  • Options

I thought DS was great until my mom mentioned that he was "not an easy baby" when he was couple months old.  Like you, it didn't bother me that I had to be so attentive to him - I thought that's just the way newborns were!  DS became a lot easier by 6-months-old.  He was on a regular nap and sleep schedule (though not STTN), stopped screaming in the car, did not need to be held all the time, etc.  

Try not to have the attitude that DD is "difficult" because then you might make her that way.  Keep trying to go with the flow, and things might just get a lot easier as time goes by. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think some are born that way and some are made that way ("high needs")

Also, your baby is really young yet.  MOST babies that age are pretty high needs.

My 1st one was really easy.  My 2nd one was actually super fussy, wouldn't sleep, ect.   He was my hard baby. 

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

I think it's part nature, part nurture.

Mine were born at 37w so they were on the sleepy side. By the time they hit their due dates and woke up a bit more, they were in a solid 3-3.5h rotation for feeding. We also lived and died by the HBOTB techniques. They spent a lot of time swaddled and with white noise playing to help calm them down. We were very strict with starting good habits with sleep, and helping them learn to sleep in a crib versus on us, because, once I was alone, it would be a lot harder to do that with two at once. We also would wait a minute or two when they fussed to see if they'd settle on their own (not CIO, we didn't let them CIO until nearly 9 months old) but just kind of waited and observed before picking them up. It was just the necessity of survival mode with twins. Sometimes, someone had to cry if the other one was being changed or I couldn't get to them immediately.  I think if DD had been a singleton, she would have been a "high needs" baby and I think we probably would have been able to attend to every single whimper and pick her up each time she made a noise (which was what was done with me, and I was a classic high needs baby that never slept). It was just the feeling of being on the defensive with two newborns that led us to be so structured.

I have friends with twins where the twins are not their first children, and they have all said their twins are easier than their older singletons. So I do think it is a good combination of nature and nurture.  

• Options
    imagemrs.mastro:

I thought DS was great until my mom mentioned that he was "not an easy baby" when he was couple months old.  Like you, it didn't bother me that I had to be so attentive to him - I thought that's just the way newborns were!  DS became a lot easier by 6-months-old.  He was on a regular nap and sleep schedule (though not STTN), stopped screaming in the car, did not need to be held all the time, etc.  

Try not to have the attitude that DD is "difficult" because then you might make her that way.  Keep trying to go with the flow, and things might just get a lot easier as time goes by. 

This is pretty much my story. Although, my nephew is just 10 days older and we see him all of the time so (unfortunately) it's hard not to compare his super laid back temperament with DD's more needy/emotional temperament, so I realized from the start that babies are different. And I don't think it's a birth order thing - though I definitely admit that as a FTM, I had to learn some "tricks" along the way that may have made it easier if DD were a 2nd or 3rd baby. =)

In my experience, at 6-8 weeks things did get a bit better because baby sleeps a bit more consistently and is awakening more. First 6 weeks are survival mode! (Unless you have a baby like my nephew who would sleep in 4+ hour stretches at a time from day 1, hehe)  Good luck and hang in there =) It goes fast.

DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • Options
    Hm. Well, this has been enormously comforting haha. Thanks ladies! :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I agree that they are just born that way.  Or course we can condition them, but on a base level they all have their own personality.  I have a super easy baby.  I didn't do anything to make him that way, I just hit the baby lottery jackpot.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Does your LO have any reflux symptoms, or silent reflux? I only ask because everything you mentioned are also reflux symptoms...eating a lot, hating the carseat, always wanting to be upright, trouble sleeping.

Anyway, my second child was much more difficult than my first. My first was an easy breezy baby, and my second was definitely not. If anyone dared to tell me that I "nurtured" that, I'd laugh in their face. My second had a lot of health issues that contributed to her neediness...reflux, food intolerances, chronic ear infections. All of those things made for a high needs baby. 

• Options

I think for the most part it's the way they are born. I have a family I babysitt for. They have 3 kids. One school age boy, a 2yr old boy, and a 4mo old girl. I don't really watch the older one but I've watched the younger two since they were 6 weeks old.

The two year old boy was a very high needs baby. He needed to be held pretty much constantly or he would cry. He wasn't a good napper. Getting him to sleep was hard and he didn't sleep very long. The slightest sound in the house would wake him up. He didn't start STTN until he was over a year old.

His 4mo old sister is completely different. She is very easy going. She sleeps anywhere and thourgh anything. She is happy to have floor time. She is also fine being put in a bouncer or swing for a little while. She has been sleeping well at night pretty much since she came home.

I'm not with them at home but from what I've seen and been told the mom didn't do anything different this time. I don't do anything differently with the girl. It really just seems to be their personality. 

• Options
    imageMamatoJackson:

This. And while I don't have a 2nd I can see how that would be true. Also we loved the Happiest Baby on The Block techniques and saw a lot of improvement in temperament after implementing those. Also we saw a lot of change once we figured out DS had a dairy allergy and switched to soy.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD was the EXACT same way when she was born, and has always been a little high need/attention needy/clingy.  I think it's just how she's wired.
  • Options
    I think that babies are hard wired with certain traits just like adults. You can do things to aid in their tendencies but when it gets down to the nitty gritty...their humans just like us & I know a few "high needs" grown ups! Stick out tongue
  • Options
    imageJoannaJes:

Does your LO have any reflux symptoms, or silent reflux? I only ask because everything you mentioned are also reflux symptoms...eating a lot, hating the carseat, always wanting to be upright, trouble sleeping.

Anyway, my second child was much more difficult than my first. My first was an easy breezy baby, and my second was definitely not. If anyone dared to tell me that I "nurtured" that, I'd laugh in their face. My second had a lot of health issues that contributed to her neediness...reflux, food intolerances, chronic ear infections. All of those things made for a high needs baby. 

This! I didn't find out untio after we had DD, who had silent reflux, that DS likely had undiagnosed silent reflux. While he is still a high needs kid, and I believe that it is absolutely inherent in him, had he been on reflux meds, perhaps he wouldn't have been such an unhappy baby. He screamed for 18 hours a day for three months, and wasn't anything other than whiny and cranky until he hit 10 months when he started walking (the traditional time when kids outgrow reflux).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"