C-sections
Options

"Natural C/S" Help?

I have to have a Repeat C/S due to complications. My son was an emergency C/S and while my doctors were amazing and made a life or death situation the happiest day of my life and not the worst, Im cant help but feel a little sad I didnt get to see my son for 4 hours after he was born (he was fine but I was in recovery longer then most). So in researching my options I came across a "Natural C/S" which has all the drugs so you don't feel pain of course but they allow you to see the baby being pulled out, they also as long as baby is doing well have baby taken to recovery with you so you can start the bonding process and start breast feeding. Has anyone heard of this or were you able to take part in a natural c/s at your hospital. Im in NJ and am curious to find out if that is even an option for me.

Melissa Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image image FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family BabyName Ticker 

Re: "Natural C/S" Help?

• Options

First, I'm glad that everything worked out great with your son.  I am having a RCS but my 1st was due to failure to descend, not an emergency with the baby, so I didn't have the trauma that you had to contend with.  Still (this was in 2009), they took the baby away and my husband went with her while they stitched me up and it was about 45 mins-1 hour before I saw her.  They took her to the nursery, washed her up, checked vitals, filled out her paperwork, etc.  My husband videotaped the whole thing so I could watch it later, but of course I missed being part of those 1st moments.

I've never heard of a "natural c/s" but I know my hospital is doing things quite differently 3 short years later (I live in WI).  If possible (assuming no issues) the baby and I will have skin-to-skin contact in the OR and he/she will stay with me during the whole procedure, along with DH.  The hospital now doesn't wash the baby until after two successful breastfeedings- something about the smell of amniotic fluid (no joke) encouraging LO to feed.  The baby also rooms in with parents now unless there's a medical reason not to, parents give the 1st bath in the room, etc.  I'm pretty excited about these changes.  Maybe you can ask whether these would be possible for you too.  GL!

• Options

A couple questions....did you see the video on youtube about the natural c-section and do you have a c-section plan to discuss with your OB.  They can't really 'go by' a c-section birth plan because it is major surgery, but I have always had my baby in recovery with me and started nursing in recocery.  My first two were born outside philadelphia, but in PA, not NJ.  They would have dropped the curtain if I wanted them to, but I chose not to watch, my DH stood up and watched, then he held both our babies until I was finished and never left LO until they brought them to me in recovery almost immediately.  DH stayed with LO while they did the weight, clean up, etc, and at the same time I was being finished up with surgery so we both got to recovery at about the same time.  I asked my OB about this because now I live in South Carolina and she said baby would come directly to recovery wiht me.

I would talk to your OB, how bad was your recovery? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've had two scheduled c/s and got to see the baby right away both times, as well as hold/nurse her in  the recovery room. I had no interest in seeing her actually being pulled out of my sliced open mid-section, but they held her up right away so I could see her. We opted to have baby cleaned off a bit and weighed before DH held her, and then he held her right next to me while they finished sewing me up.

They checked vitals and all that of course, but she was handed to me to nurse as soon I was rolled into recovery. As I was being taken to my room, they did more to her, but she was in my room shortly after I got settled in.

It's a lot different with a schedules c/s where the baby is in good health. Assuming your baby is healthy at delivery, you will certainly have contact much sooner this time around.

• Options
    imagealyson9305:

First, I'm glad that everything worked out great with your son.  I am having a RCS but my 1st was due to failure to descend, not an emergency with the baby, so I didn't have the trauma that you had to contend with.  Still (this was in 2009), they took the baby away and my husband went with her while they stitched me up and it was about 45 mins-1 hour before I saw her.  They took her to the nursery, washed her up, checked vitals, filled out her paperwork, etc.  My husband videotaped the whole thing so I could watch it later, but of course I missed being part of those 1st moments.

I've never heard of a "natural c/s" but I know my hospital is doing things quite differently 3 short years later (I live in WI).  If possible (assuming no issues) the baby and I will have skin-to-skin contact in the OR and he/she will stay with me during the whole procedure, along with DH.  The hospital now doesn't wash the baby until after two successful breastfeedings- something about the smell of amniotic fluid (no joke) encouraging LO to feed.  The baby also rooms in with parents now unless there's a medical reason not to, parents give the 1st bath in the room, etc.  I'm pretty excited about these changes.  Maybe you can ask whether these would be possible for you too.  GL!

I live in Wisconsin as well. What part are you from. I live close to manitowoc..

• Options
    I couldn't see Lucas being born because they had to keep the blue tarp up, but I held him while being stitched up and I held him while we were wheeled back to our room. He never left our room unless I sent him to the nursery and when he got circ'd. Check your hospital policy and let your wishes be known.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

imagemagdalina.h:
    I couldn't see Lucas being born because they had to keep the blue tarp up, but I held him while being stitched up and I held him while we were wheeled back to our room. He never left our room unless I sent him to the nursery and when he got circ'd. Check your hospital policy and let your wishes be known.

This.  DD never left the room, they took her to a corner of the surgical room for the initial cleaning, etc. then she was right to my arms (well actually DH held her for a while first).  I held her as they wheeled me to recovery, then held her as they wheeled me to the post-partum room.  I have never head of a natural CS, but I guess that is what I had!  I didn't even think to ask, just got lucky that it was the hospital's routine to do this.  I agree with prior posts, make your wishes known and I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to accommodate you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've seen the video/documentary you're referring to. I've asked my OB to drop the curtain down once her head is out so I can see her being born. I wanted to have her put on my chest right away but she's being born at 37 weeks, so the NICU staff will definitely need to see her first. They'll show her to me and then take her into the adjoining room for assessment quickly -- my midwife will be with them the whole time and my hubby will stay with me. Baby will be with me in recovery as long as she's doing fine and we'll start skin to skin time and breastfeeding there. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options

My doctor asked DH if he wanted to see LO when they're about to pull her out of my tumny and he opted out, cause he didn't want to pass out in the OR :)

We got to see LO right away and DH got to hold LO in the OR and the nurse took some pics for us.

LO got to cone with me from the OR to the recovery room, they put LO in a bassinet and wheeled her.

I did skin to skin with LO when in a recovery room right away and LO came with me when they moved me to a different room.

Practically, LO never left my side, they even bathed her few hours later in my room.

• Options
    I've had three c-sections (one emergency, two sched) at three different hospitals and I have never heard the term "natural c-section." The OB staff's objective is to get that baby to you as quickly as possible, and that's across the board. They KNOW how special the day is, how much the moment means to you and how difficult it is to have a section. They work as hard as they can to keep baby and mama together and happy. I really don't anticipate you'll have any problems. My best piece of advice, coming from multiple section control freak, is to work with them. You can't possibly have a better day if you listen to their reasons and be as cooperative as possible. The baby knows you, whether it's 5 minutes or 5 hours, and you're very busy after the surgery as well. It's typically a whirlwind of vitals over and over followed by lots of different people in and out for the first 5 hours or so. I guarantee that whether you have one complication or 70, you'll remember every second and it'll STILL be the best day of your life. :-)
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was having twins and was very high risk due to other medical issues and knew I was having a CS.

I did a ton of research on this topic because a CS was NOT what I wanted, but what I had to have.  I had always envisioned a natural home birth with a midwife and a doula, giving birth in water.  Obviously that was not going to be my reality so I really wanted to incorporate some "natural" type things into my CS.  Yes, its major surgery; but there are still some things that can be done to make the mother / father more involved in the process if they wish.

I bought 2-3 books on "natural" CS (could only find 1 listed on amazon - see below) , googled natural CS options on the internet, read some blogs, and made a CS plan that I reviewed with my dr. before surgery.

I was at a very large urban hospital and "touchy feely" was NOT their normal way of patient care.  Its all very clinical and not warm and fuzzy.  If I had not spoken up and requested what I wanted / needed to feel better about the birth experience, they never in a gazillon years would have done any of the items on my list.

My dr said in all his years of practice (he was the head dr so he's seen a lot), no one had ever asked him for a natural CS nor presented him with a printed request for specific items / accommodations.  We went through the list item by item and he told me what they could do / couldn't do at that hospital.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Hospital-Birth-Best-Worlds/dp/1558327185/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1335660918&sr=8-6

At the end of the day, I had an emergency C-Section at 33w4d and NOTHING went right.  My babies were in distress and whisked off to the NICU.  I didn't get to hold one for 4 days and the other for 2 weeks.  My birth experience was horrible.  I struggled with BF. It was super traumatic.

But... I had made peace with a CS, prepared for a natural CS, and believe that if things had gone as planned, having discussed a CS birth plan with my dr prior to surgery, I would have had a really nice birth experience that would have been meaningful for me and my babies and my husband.

If you would like more details on what was on my natural CS birthplan, PM me and I will see if I can find a copy  and send to you.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This was more or less how my birth experience was with DS.  DH was able to see him being pulled out, and I nursed DS in recovery, about an hour after surgery (in contrast to my experience with DD, who didn't nurse successfully until she was a day old, although this didn't have a negative effect on BFing long term).  I had DS in NY, but I think the sort of things you're talking about have more to do with individual hospital policy than state law.  My hospital was very BFing supportive, and I learned about their policies from my OB practice and the hospital tour before DS was born.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    imagemamak85:
    imagealyson9305:

I live in Wisconsin as well. What part are you from. I live close to manitowoc..

I'm curious too, I'm near Wausau. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"