January 2011 Moms

Swimming

In an effort to liven up the board...

What kind of flotation device are LO's to use this summer? I remember last year he was in a float that had a cover over his head but is it to be the same this year?? Or do we upgrade?

Also, anyone have a built in pool? We're thinking about getting one of those safety gates and I want to know if you have one/like them? We have a fence around our pool area but there is also a sitting area where the pool is and that makes me kind of nervous. We'll have a play area that is outside the pool but we of course will use both this summer. 

Re: Swimming

• I think we'll be skipping the pool this summer. I'll either be hugely pregnant, or bleeding and have a newborn to care for. We might get a splash pool for the yard, but I'm kind of iffy about it because I'm freaked out by the thought of bugs crawling on it between uses. DD just might have to settle for the bath tub this year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just bought her a puddle jumper life vest and arm thing this morning, because we are hitting the pool tomorrow.  She loves swimming.  As for a built in pool, ours is above ground, so I am no help there.

• Loading the player...
  • DH is a lifeguard and swim instructor in the summer and he HATES the floatation things that attach to a kid's arms. He says parents rely on those and don't pay close enough attention to a kid so it causes a lot of accidents. And he also wants to teach DD how to handle the water instead of getting those.

I'd probably put something around the pool so you can hang out near it without worrying about JT falling in.

We live in an apartment and don't have a pool. Since DH is at a pool all day in the summer, on the weekends he often likes to stay inside in the AC. We'll probably join a local community pool which has a baby pool so I can take DD during the day. (Also my parents and ILs go there so I can get some downtime. :) ) DH will probably meet us there after work or maybe go on weekends sometimes so he can teach DD how to swim a bit. She loved being in the water last year and I think this year will be so much more fun.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Last summer we just held onto ds when we were in the lake and then when we were on the boat he had a normal life preserver that I am pretty sure will still fit this year. This is a good reminder to check on it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"