3rd Trimester
Options

Something that NEVER occurred to me.

Because we live in a different city than most our families, we never really worried too much about l&d/hospital or anything like that.  No one was going to drive 3-4 hours and just show up (except that my mom totally is, I just found out.  Thank God we LIKE her).

But I never thought that telling family I was at the hospital being induced would lead to their posting on Facebook.  I called my dad to give him a heads up, since I thought he would like to know.

He apparently called/texted everyone on his side of the family and my brother posted the texts on FB (ok, it was funny).  However, we hadn't intended to say anything until tomorrow, as I'm a 12 hour course of cervidil and have little dilation and won't start pitocin until tomorrow.  It's upsetting that my inlaws found out via FB - I feel lucky they aren't hurt over it, because it could have been a bigger deal.

But seriously - in case this happens to you, remind others that you don't want things posted on FB/Twitter/etc until you are ready to make an announcement.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
My Blog

Re: Something that NEVER occurred to me.

• Options

It can get worse than that.  When my niece was born, my mother not only announced it on FB before my bro/SIL, but she also posted pictures.  They were LIVID, as a lot of her family lives 6 hours away on the other side of the state, and that's how they found out (and what the name was). 

My family is under STRICT orders to post nothing on FB without my approval first.  Luckily, my mom feels so bad about what she did to my brother, that I think she'll behave.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I already told my DH that nothing was to be posted on Facebook until I said- I am trying to avoid the premature arrival of his father who lives about an hour flight away and would probably like being in the way during early labor (the man is a complete busy body and probably pictures himself wheeling me into the maternity ward while my DH looks for a parking space lol).  I want to be safely ensconsed in the locked maternity ward before any arrivals.  However, I will warn the rest of my family since my FIL is friends with all of my family on Facebook. 

Sometimes I think the world was a better place before Facebook.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We told our family this with DD and we reminded them again this time. With DD everyone was respectful but not everyone understood since we were the first to have a baby among our siblings. Now ppl get it more as they have had kids too. We are also crazy about no one posting pictures of our kids. Good heads up! 

• Options
    I'm not surprised for a second.... People put everything on FB. (hence me not having it) Now you'll probably want to keep your phone off/not go on your computer because you'll have 10,000 people asking "did you have the baby YET?!?!!!"
  • Options
    REOMREOM member

With my first DD, there was no FB.

With my second, I logged onto FB after giving birth only to find that my sister had posted a status update about every 15 minutes of how dilated I was!

"My sister is at 2cm!"

"My sister is at 6cm!"

"My sister is at 9...almost pushing time!"

MORTIFIED! 

DD1 12.18.06 DD2 9.18.08 DD3 EDD 5.10.2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagejennyann28:

It can get worse than that.  When my niece was born, my mother not only announced it on FB before my bro/SIL, but she also posted pictures.  They were LIVID, as a lot of her family lives 6 hours away on the other side of the state, and that's how they found out (and what the name was). 

My family is under STRICT orders to post nothing on FB without my approval first.  Luckily, my mom feels so bad about what she did to my brother, that I think she'll behave.

....my brother found out our other brother had stage 4 stomach cancer via FB. It's seriously nuts what people post and how fast. ...and what they think is ok/their business to tell

Also, not FB related... My mil & FIL took my BIL/wife phone to take picture for them.... Then proceeded to send the picture to their phone, Then sent it to all of BIL/wife's friends. So they made the birth announcement. This was after they showed up with mcyd's and ate while SIL was labouring and she couldn't eat. Not to mention she didn't really care for the company.... 

Madness I tell you.  

• Options
    imageREOM:

With my first DD, there was no FB.

With my second, I logged onto FB after giving birth only to find that my sister had posted a status update about every 15 minutes of how dilated I was!

"My sister is at 2cm!"

"My sister is at 6cm!"

"My sister is at 9...almost pushing time!"

MORTIFIED! 

oh jeez!! 

• Options
    Yay for being induced, though!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

We live out of state so we had to make phone calls and text pictures to our family when DD was born. My sister forwarded the picture of DD to a few of her closest friends (which was totally fine with me). One of her friends apparently posted the picture on facebook and announced the wrong name. Kind of weird since I barely know her friend so I'm not sure why she was announcing this to her whole friends list, who would have no idea whose baby it was. Anyway, I never even got a chance to see it because my sister was so pissed that she did that and called her up demanding that she take it down immediately. Her friend felt really bad about it and sent me a message apologizing. I honestly didn't think it was a huge deal, just a little strange since my DD is of no relation to her.

I didn't have a smart phone at the time so I didn't get to check facebook until I got home from the hospital. Our parents are not on facebook but all of our siblings had posted excited statuses the day she was born. (Things like "I'm an uncle!!! Welcome to the family, ________!", etc.) I didn't mind at all. I know they were all excited and wanted to share the news with their friends. Everyone we cared most about was notified by us anyway, so I didn't mind if some acquaintances found out via facebook.

• Options
    Ahh! I'm so concerned about this scenario.

We've already decided not to tell people when we're in labor because there are people on both sides of the family who would take it to Facebook in under ten minutes.

We're also planning to make the phone call to those specific people after we've told the other immediate family members and close friends to ensure those who are closest (and most likely to be hurt) find out from us and not through social networking. We'll be asking everyone to keep the baby's pictures off of their FBs also so that we can decide when he appears there and to what crowd.

It's ridiculous that we have to worry about social networking now.
  • Options

Good point. 

I've always made it clear to my friends and family not to post anything on FB without my persmission. 

• Options
    My sister announced on FB when my DD was born before we told anyone else. So a lot of my friends found out that way and we didn't get to announce it ourselves. We were really pissed and it has caused a problem between her and DH's family. Don't let that happen to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Oh yes....my family has been warned to keep my personal details off of Facebook! When my husband and I are ready to announce our baby's arrival, we would like to do it OURSELVES....
  • Options

We are not making any facebook posts till baby arrives...

Only calling our parents and my best friend. They know not to post till we do!

• Options

Ugh, good reminder! People are so insensitive to others privacy!

The same thing happened when we got married. We did not post any pics on FB, but we shared the Kodak virtual album with the guests - along with a message saying that we did not want to share pics on FB. 

My SIL (who did not attend the wedding, btw) actually downloaded a picture and uploaded to her FB. I can see her doing the same thing with LO, so we are not telling anyone before she is actually born.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member

When we found got our BFP, we wanted to wait for confirmation by our doctor and to check to make sure everything was okay before announcing it to the world.  We did tell my parents and DH's parents, but informed them NOT to tell anyone else.   MIL couldn't keep it a secret, and thought that since she lived four hours away from us it was okay for her to tell her side of the family.  Of course, congratulations ended up all over Facebook before I had a chance to tell my friends and other family members myself.  I was so upset! 

Again, I don't mind my parents and his parents knowing when I am in labour, as long as they don't come to the hospital for a little while after I give birth... but I would be absolutely mortified if the details were posted on Facebook for the world to see.

• Options
    tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member

When we found got our BFP, we wanted to wait for confirmation by our doctor and to check to make sure everything was okay before announcing it to the world.  We did tell my parents and DH's parents, but informed them NOT to tell anyone else.   MIL couldn't keep it a secret, and thought that since she lived four hours away from us it was okay for her to tell her side of the family.  Of course, congratulations ended up all over Facebook before I had a chance to tell my friends and other family members myself.  I was so upset! 

Again, I don't mind my parents and his parents knowing when I am in labour, as long as they don't come to the hospital for a little while after I give birth... but I would be absolutely mortified if the details were posted on Facebook for the world to see.

• Options

Last August, I found out via FB that my sister had her baby.  My sister's friend's mom posted a "congratulations on being an aunt" message on my wall hours and hours before I ever heard from my sister. 

I had just recently lost my twins so I wasn't looking forward to the birth annoucnment but I was still devestated that she couldn't pick up the phone.  I no longer speak to her. 

TTC Since 10/08 4 IUIs=BFNx4
    IVF#1=BFP!! Twins!!
    Bradley and Billy born and lost on 2/2/11 at 19w2d due to pPROM/PTL. I miss you, little angels.
    IVF#2=BFN
    IVF#3=c/p IVF#4=Empty Follicle Syndrome; 1 mature, fertilized, & made it to blast. 5dt of "the lone ranger" on 9/6. Please stick, little one! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's sad that it has to be pointed out to people to keep these things off of facebook. It should just be understood but some people have facebook diarrhea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm worried about this too. We are Team Green and I don't want anyone announcing the sex or name of the baby before we do. I think it's going to be just DH and I at the hospital this time so we'll probably call my parents and my ILs a little bit after the birth, and then quickly post our news on facebook before they can [like have it written out and ready to send lol]. My SIL is especially bad about stuff and she's on FB all of the time so I don't think I'm being too irrational. 
    DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"