Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Baby shower question

I just want to start off by saying that I am 100% aware that having a baby shower for your 2+ is considered gift grabby and tacky

That all being said- I have a friend that REALLY wants to throw me another shower ( I had a beautiful one for my daughter). I told her politely that I really appreciate the offer but I don't think  another shower is needed seeing as we still have everything from the last shower that isn't even used. And the bigger items are all gender neutral. She is still insisting! She says that I will need boy things now and that this baby needs to be celebrated too. And that maybe it will help me to feel like this baby will come home with us. She has brought up throwing this shower several times now.

So my question is, how do I tell her no so that she "gets it", or should I just give in and let her throw one? I don't want to come across as gift grabby but I don't want to be rude to her either. ( not that it matters but this is an older friend, she is a good friends mother and someone that I truly respect). So what do you ladies think I should do?  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Baby shower question

• Options
    I think if she really wants to do it and it won't make you uncomfortable, go for it. I'm usually feeling grouchy about more than one shower, but I feel like what she's saying is true, you're celebrating the baby that you are expecting. It seems like it could be really nice, if it's something that you would like.

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If the only set back is you feeling bad for having a second shower then try to put that aside and celebrate your baby.  Do what you feel comfortable doing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

PAL/PGAL WelcomeBabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the same problem. I just told them I wasn't comfortable with idea and I was afraid it would jinx things. They understood and so they had a celebration dinner for me instead....which I insisted on no gifts.
    Preston Cash my angel born sleeping @34 weeks 5-16-09
    BFP 9-16-11
    Married to DH since 11-2-08
    DD (9) DS (8)
    Jude Levi, My rainbow baby, born May 8th 2012. We are so in love!
  • Options
    Something similar here with my MIL (she didn't get to throw me a shower the first time because I didn't make it that far, but my mom did). I told her I would really like to wait until baby is here and then have a meet and greet a few months later.  She thought that sounded really fun and was excited about it.  Maybe that could work for you too?
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Maybe tell her that she can throw one only if she keeps it super low key.  Not a lot of guests, decorations, etc.  Just maybe a small lunch or desert party with like 10 people.
    BFP 6/20/10 1st M/C- 7/3/10~ 6 w 1 d
    BFP 9/13/10- Chemical Pregnancy discovered 9/16/10
    BFP 2/23/11 EDD 2nd M/C 3/20/10~ 7 w 6 d
    BFP 9/17/11- Twins! Alice Nichole 5/15/12 Colette Parker 5/15/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagelittlepenguin2012:
    Something similar here with my MIL (she didn't get to throw me a shower the first time because I didn't make it that far, but my mom did). I told her I would really like to wait until baby is here and then have a meet and greet a few months later.  She thought that sounded really fun and was excited about it.  Maybe that could work for you too?

I like this idea too!  I don't think anyone would think anything of you having a shower for this baby either way, but it might be fun to have it after the baby comes and then you can leave it open ended as to whether people bring gifts or not.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    CnAnACnAnA member

I think you should let her throw a shower if she really, really wants to, and if you're comfortable with it.  Just don't put any "big stuff" on the registry.  Stick to like diapers and clothes and such. 

Honestly, in my family, we tend to have showers for every baby because we think every baby should be celebrated.  The big stuff tends to be given at the first one, then we stick to thinks like i mentioned above. 

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options

I think it really comes down to you & your comfort level. If you are ultimately uncomfortable with the idea then go with one of the ideas the other ladies suggested, which are all nice ideas.

That said, I personally think if your first baby died, none of those etiquette rules about 2nd baby showers applies! I doubt anyone would think you were being gift- grabby. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    delinodelino member
    What you can suggest is that she call it a "Sprinkle". I've seen many Baby Sprinkles instead of Showers. It implies that it's a smaller event, hence smaller gifts, but still an equally big celebration. And if anyone gives you grief...send them my way. I'll give em a swift kick in the pants.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagedelino:
    What you can suggest is that she call it a "Sprinkle". I've seen many Baby Sprinkles instead of Showers. It implies that it's a smaller event, hence smaller gifts, but still an equally big celebration. And if anyone gives you grief...send them my way. I'll give em a swift kick in the pants.
    I agree with delino! If you can stress to your friend that you want it to be more low key and register for smaller items maybe that would work for your comfort level? I Wouldn't think anything of it I'd I were invited to a second shower given your situation. 

Chemical Pregnancy 2001, Married 8/8/09, TTC April 2011, BFP 5/8/11, Missed M/C @ 9wk5d, D&C 6/21/11 BFP 11/13/11 Chase Everett born at 29wks 0 days on 5/7/12 at 2 lbs 14 oz, 14 1/2 inches long.
  • Options

Maybe ask her to have a brunch instead, maybe within a few weeks of your due date, and ask her to put "no gifts necessary" on the invite?  People will still bring gifts anyways, but that way it wouldn't come across as "grabby?"

ETA:  oh, I really like the idea of a "meet&greet" once baby gets here, too.  That's a great idea!

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Options

A lot of my friends are pregnant with their second (or 3rd) child, so we've had "baby showers" that are really just lunches with pretty cakes where we honor the not-so-new mom. One woman was on her 4th kid, needed absolutely nothing, so we got her a gift certificate for her pot-partum doula.

So I think you could do it, but insist no gifts. Or at least don't register.

Eli born May 2010; M/C Jan 2012 (@8 weeks); PgAL EDD 12-19-12
  • Options
    sld5711sld5711 member
    If she is super insistant I say have a celebration of life party.  People can bring super small gifts (if any gifts) to welcome the baby.  Dont do all the decorations and other things baby shower related just keep it super low key. 
    BFP 11/23/11...CP 11/29/11 BFP 12/28/11...Natural MC 1/19/12 BFP 2/22/12...EDD 11/2/12 new EDD 10/28/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! If she brings it up again I will mention the "sprinkle" or meet and greet to her and see if either of those will work to make us both comfortable. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In my area and with my group of friends, a sprinkle shower isn't considered tacky at all.  I just kept my guest list small and when people asked what we needed, I told them diapers, wipes and clothes.
  • Options
    I would suggest to her that she host a brunch, or something similar, rather than a shower to celebrate this babe. That way, you won't run the risk of breaching etiquette.
    Me (25) DH (33) BFP #1 on cycle #4: 2/7/12 - M/C 2/26/12 BFP #2 on cycle #1: 4/3/12 - DD born 12/18/12
  • Options
    I think I'd give in and let her throw it. she has a good point about letting this baby be celebrated. :)
  • Options
    I don't think having a 2nd shower will make you seem gift grabby or tacky.  If you are comfortable with having another shower then let her throw you one.  If it makes you uncomfortable then just flat out tell her that you will not have a 2nd shower but maybe she can throw you some other type of celebration (like a meet the baby party or something) or a celebratory lunch (where there would be no gifts and a smaller guest list).
  • Options
    I think it's completely up to you and how you feel. A few friends have asked about having a shower since i have no girly stuff but like you, I have everything and a lot is gender neutral. I have told them flat out, I do not want a shower. They said if anything, they will plan something after her arrival. (if she arrives). Good luck and just do whatever you feel is right for you.
    TTC since November 2009. DH diagnosed with sperm antibodies. IUI #1 = BFN IUI #2 = BFN On the road to IVF.... Egg Retrieval Jan 21, 2011 16 eggs retrieved Egg transfer Jan 26, 2011 Only 2 viable eggs transferred. 1 IVF, 1 ICSI IVF #1 = BFP :-) 10/3/11 No heart beat at 38 weeks: Our baby Jack became an angel 12/14/11 = natural BFP Rainbow baby Samantha Jacklyn born8/8/12. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

Maybe you could ask her to throw it after the baby is born.  Then you're more likely to truly just get things you dont necessarily already have for later on in baby's life - and its not just about "getting stuff", its about people getting to meet the baby as well.  It should satisfy her desire to throw you a shower, and not seem quite so tacky.  Plus then you dont have a ton of people descending on your house to visit if they know they'll get to see the baby at a shower. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    chusumchusum member
    I say let her do it. It's a different sex, and I think your friends would understand. If they don't they shouldn't come.

Married August 9, 2008
    TTC Since September 2009

1st   BFP | EDD 10/23/10 | Natural M/C 03/27/10 | 10w 0d
    2nd BFP 06/26/10 | EDD 02/25/11 | Natural  M/C 07/17/10 | 8w 1d
    3rd  BFP 12/17/10 | EDD 08/24/11 | Natural M/C 12/31/10 | 7w 4d
    4th  BFP 06/22/11 | EDD 02/25/12 | M/C D&C on 07/27/11 | 9w4d
    5th  BFP 09/17/11 | DD Paige Lily born 05/16/12
    6th  BFP 08/11/12 | EDD 04/11/13 | CP
    7th  BFP 09/29/13 | EDD 06/04/14 | Natural M/C 10/27/13 | 8w1d
    8th  BFP 12/16/13 | EDD 09/01/14

DX: Pericentric Inversion of Chromosome 8 & compound heterozygous for MTHFR mutations
    RX: Lovenox/Heparin & Folgard

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"