November 2011 Moms

Along with the peas post...

Has anyone noticed that Gerber has a baby food with strawberries in it?? It's a second food. I thought strawberry was a no-no until they're 1 year? 

Also, why the eff do they make DESSERT baby foods???  I really don't like that. It makes me mad every time i see them.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Along with the peas post...

• Haven't looked that closely at the Gerber foods, but yes, I thought ALL berries were a no no until 1 y/o. 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Blueberries and cranberries are not in the same family as the high-allergy strawberry, raspberry and blackberry.  Although I have yet to meet a baby who will eat cranberries...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Apparently cooked strawberries are okay? Here's what I found about that:

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/strawberrybabyfoodrecipes.htm

And then I found this page that says raw strawberries, blackberries & raspberries can be given between 6-12 months..The chart at the bottom of this page was kinda interesting:

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/forbiddenbabyfood.htm

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Dessert baby foods.... lol! DD just called to tell me she was craving a hot fudge sundae. Does Gerber make that??
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJamiesWife2010:

Apparently cooked strawberries are okay? Here's what I found about that:

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/strawberrybabyfoodrecipes.htm

And then I found this page that says raw strawberries, blackberries & raspberries can be given between 6-12 months..The chart at the bottom of this page was kinda interesting:

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/forbiddenbabyfood.htm

That doesn't surprise me.  I am allergic to raw strawberries to point of anaphylaxis, but I can eat cooked strawberries without so much as a hive.

• You can introduce berries to most babies as early as 6 months, says Frank Greer, a pediatrician and former chairman of the American Academy of Pediatrics' (AAP) Committee on Nutrition. But if your baby shows signs of an allergy of any kind ? such as eczema ? hold off until you?ve checked with your baby's doctor.

Berries are not one of the top eight allergenic foods. But because some people are allergic to berries, experts used to advise parents to wait until their baby's first birthday before introducing them. That advice has now changed.

https://www.babycenter.com/408_when-can-my-baby-eat-berries_1368508.bc

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh and on the dessert baby foods post... You guys don't have toddlers so this may be off your radar (and it was highly controversial so may have been removed from the market) but Enfamil toddler formula comes in chocolate and vanilla flavors.  WTF.

Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
  • lkm2006lkm2006 member

imagesmilelari:
    Oh and on the dessert baby foods post... You guys don't have toddlers so this may be off your radar (and it was highly controversial so may have been removed from the market) but Enfamil toddler formula comes in chocolate and vanilla flavors.  WTF.

No way?? And this may be a dumb question.. But what is toddler formula? I just assumed that after a year it was okay to drop formula/BM (unless you nurse longer) and move to cows milk.  

• imagelkm2006:

imagesmilelari:
    Oh and on the dessert baby foods post... You guys don't have toddlers so this may be off your radar (and it was highly controversial so may have been removed from the market) but Enfamil toddler formula comes in chocolate and vanilla flavors.  WTF.

No way?? And this may be a dumb question.. But what is toddler formula? I just assumed that after a year it was okay to drop formula/BM (unless you nurse longer) and move to cows milk.  

I'm pretty sure it's just a gimmick to keep you buying Enfamil.  There are likely a few situations where you might want formula beyond 1 year.  But I would guess it's pretty rare.

Shawn and Larissa
  • imagelkm2006:

imagesmilelari:

One reason for using formula beyond 1 year that I can think of is a severe milk and soy protein intolerance, but in that case the baby probably would be using neocate or elecare (medical formula).  Although, for the record, Elecare Jr. (toddler formula) comes in both unflavored and vanilla. I can the flavored kind being used for a kid who had late developing allergies.  The vanilla might cover up the formula taste a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"