Food Allergy

Introducing Dairy Tomorrow

Ugh! I don't want to at all. DS has been on Elecare since 5 months. He was BF before that but was still bleeding even with me being dairy/soy free for 3 months and then free of a million other things (top 8, beef and corn) for 2 months. He's been doing great on Elecare, but we have to try milk or our insurance won't cover the Elecare anymore once he turns 1. 

I don't have high hopes. Anyone else have a super sensitive LO and then it worked out?! I need to be more positive about this! 

Re: Introducing Dairy Tomorrow

• I don't have any advice just wanted to wish you guys luck today
  • are u intro into your diet or the baby? 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemylove2005:
    I don't have any advice just wanted to wish you guys luck today

thanks! It went pretty well today (little bit of spitting up but not vomiting or anything). Hopefully it keeps going smoothly! 

• imagebrowneyedgoil:
    are u intro into your diet or the baby? 

I gave it directly to him. I haven't been BFing since he was put on Elecare (Rx formula) at 5 months. 

• imageamy21tom:

imagebrowneyedgoil:

I gave it directly to him. I haven't been BFing since he was put on Elecare (Rx formula) at 5 months. 

yea my daughter on neocate & bf combo (i'm no dairy/no soy, just introduced egg). i don't think i can do this diet much longer so i'm very curious to see how it works for you b/c she also had blood that took forever to clear.

allergist had told me to start w/ baked in milk first with her, then cooked like pizza, then cheese, & not to give any actual milk until 1 year. what did you give the child so far? i feel like it's very hard b/c it's usually a delayed reaction. that is annoying that you have to do that for the insurance.  

• imageamy21tom:

imagebrowneyedgoil:

yea my daughter on neocate & bf combo (i'm no dairy/no soy, just introduced egg). i don't think i can do this diet much longer so i'm very curious to see how it works for you b/c she also had blood that took forever to clear.

allergist had told me to start w/ baked in milk first with her, then cooked like pizza, then cheese, & not to give any actual milk until 1 year. what did you give the child so far? i feel like it's very hard b/c it's usually a delayed reaction. that is annoying that you have to do that for the insurance.  

• We just started introducing dairy last week.  We were told not to give cow's milk right away, but build up to it by giving small bites of cheese and yogurt to start.  I think it's awful the insurance company requires you to give it to him.  At that age, I would have been beyond scared.  Why can't they accept allergy testing results instead?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMiller238:
    We just started introducing dairy last week.  We were told not to give cow's milk right away, but build up to it by giving small bites of cheese and yogurt to start.  I think it's awful the insurance company requires you to give it to him.  At that age, I would have been beyond scared.  Why can't they accept allergy testing results instead?

I think they won't accept allergy testing results because they aren't necessarily accurate if his symptoms are in his GI tract. He did get eczema from it before, but I guess that isn't "good enough."

We are waiting 3 weeks to do the cow's milk (when he'll be close to a year, since he's 11mo now). He has been acting fine today, but I know it doesn't necessarily mean we're in the clear since the symptoms build up over time.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to keep bfing because he had been bleeding so long. The GI kept letting me alter my diet more and more, but then it got to the point where he was just bleeding too long and it wasn't safe for him for me to continue BFing. I wish that didn't happen because it would be much less scary to trial through BM than giving it directly to him. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"