Parenting

How much sleep does your 6 y.o. get?

What's their typical bedtime and when do they get up? DS usually falls asleep somewhere between 9-10. I leave his room after reading between 8:30-9 and lately he'll read for a while, then come downstairs complaining he can't fall asleep. He usually wakes up on his own at 7:30. 

I feel like he should be tired, but he's having a hard time shutting his brain off (I have the same problem sometimes). Any suggestions to help him shut down at the end of the day? What's your 6 y.o.'s sleep pattern? 

Re: How much sleep does your 6 y.o. get?

• Alex goes to bed at 8:30 and I wake her at 7:30.  On a day off, she is sleeps until 8 or 9.

• Lights are off by 8pm sometimes a touch earlier and she's usually awake for at least a half hour or so.  She doesn't need to wake up until 7 but she wakes on her own between 6-6:30.  Which I guess is plenty, I wish she'd sleep in a little longer though!
  • Loading the player...
  • DD1 is usually asleep between 8:30-9pm and wakes up between 6am-7:30am. So about 9 hours. I love sleep however my children apparently did not inherit my love/need for sleep. 

What has helped DD1 settle down is doing a "relaxing story" after we turn off the lights. I do guided imagery with her while I give her a massage. DD1 has ADHD and sensory processing disorder and has a hard time settling down so this has helped immensely. It also helps that the cat sleeps with her. She has a calming effect.  

Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • Both of mine (5 & 7) are in bed by 7:30 and wake up around 6:30.  That has been bedtime for the past 3 years.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FemShepFemShep member
    DD just turned 7 in March. For the past two years, her bedtime is 8 and lights out is usually around 8:20 after we talk and snuggle.  She has to be up by 6:15 for school, and about half the time I wake her up, the other half she wakes herself up.  On weekends she wakes up anywhere between 6 and 7:30.
  • ZenyaZenya member
    about 11 hours.  say 8:30 (asleep) until 7:30.  it can shift an hour or so in either direction.  For a while there he was sleeping until almost 9.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS goes to bed at 8:30 and we wake him at 6:30am. On days i think he needs more, i make him go to bed at 7:30
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP 7/6/09. M/c at 10w5d (8/14/09). Had D&C 8/19/09.
  • On school nights, DD is in bed between 7:30-8pm and falls asleep pretty quickly.  I have to get her up at 6:45am for school.  On the weekends, she gets in bed more like 8-8:30pm and sleeps til 7:30am at the latest.  DS is a notoriously early riser, though, so sometimes his noise wakes DD up on the weekends.
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    DD will be 6 in June - she goes to sleep between 7 and 7:30at night and wakes up (during the week) at around 6am for school.  She does not nap but does have a quiet time at school.  She is on meds for ADHD and her doc has us giving her a small dose of Melatonin about 30 mins before bed which has made a world of difference with bedtime and just overall as she is sleeping so much better.   I would say she gets around 10-11 hours of sleep as some days bedtime is a little later and her wake up time varies (she was up at 5:30 this morning to go potty but over the weekend, slept until 6:30.  Bedtime is sometimes closer to 8 depending on what is going on).
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Between 10 & 11.  Asleep about 8 and up around 7.  If little brother didn't ever wake him up, it would probably be 11 every day.
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Lights are out at 8, some nights he falls right asleep, others he will stay awake 30min to an hour reading before falling asleep.  He wakes himself up around 7.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • I put her into bed at 7:40 .. lights off then.

She falls asleep anywhere from 7:45 -8:15.

If she's excited about something the next day, she has a hard time sleeping. And it could be something really simple "tomorrow is Riley's birthday! I can't wait to see what snack she brings for school!!" or "woohoo we get to climb the rock wall in gym tomorrow!" <~~ those days are 8:15 because she's like me and can't shut off her brain. Ugh.

I wake her at 7am for school.  But, she's been waking between 6:15-6:30 on her own... (blah).

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • She gets somewhere around 11 hours a night. Bedtime is usually 8:30pm, and she has to be up to get ready for school by 7:30am.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • DD goes to bed at 8pm and usually wakes up around 6-7am. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"