Infertility Veterans
Options

Anyone had the CA-125 test for O C?

I had my annual physical today mainly to get a referral for a mammogram so I can get that done before my FET (thanks to Giuliana!) and I told my reg Dr about the IVF etc and he recommended that in my regular blood panels he is doing that he will add the CA-125 test to it as it can help to detect early ovarian C.

Reading more on it now, it can actually give a lot of false positives so I was wondering if anyone has has this test done and what were your experiences.

Here is a link if you are unsure what I am referring to: https://ovariancancer.jhmi.edu/ca125qa.cfm#accuracy

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

Re: Anyone had the CA-125 test for O C?

• Options

Just lurking from over at that IF board and I saw your post.

I discussed this with my GP who is very focused on women?s health issues, particularly female cancers.  She suggested I get the test as a baseline before my first IVF so that we would have a marker for later on.  She suggested getting the test yearly after a baseline was established.  My first test came back abnormal but it turned out to be the result of a cyst.  I re-took the test after it was established I was cyst free and the test came back just below normal.  My doctor feels it is important to establish a baseline range in order to more accurately assist in future potential diagnoses.... I know this view is somewhat controversial but with all the conflicting information you read about IVF and cancer, I felt I really had nothing to lose by establishing a baseline.

***SIGNATURE WARNING***

TTC #1

Me 42, DH 47

Dx = AMA/DOR, MFI

IVF/ICSI #1 = BFN

IVF/ICSI #2 = BFP; early loss

IVF/ICSI #3 (DE) = BFP; early loss

FET = BFN

IVF/ICSI #4 (DE w/ CCS) = BFP

Beta #1 @ 10dp6dt = 265; Beta #2 @ 14dp6dt = 1251. 

1st U/S @ 6w2d showed one perfect little heartbeat! 

2nd U/S @ 7w2d. HB 132 & everything measuring on track.

Our beautiful little girl arrived January 2015!

• Options

Raises hand!  I am BRCA1+ (breast/OC gene) so I typically get a CA125 every 6 months.  They aren't the best measurement as yes, they give false positives as you may have a raised level attributable to something else. Also, not all women with OC will show a high CA125 level or at least not until you are at a later stage. So, it isn't a great surveillance method but it is all there is sadly.

My gynecologist oncologist told me last year to not bother to do the CA 125 while I was on fertility drugs because they can cause false positives and would only cause more stress to me. She told me to resume them once I was done TTC. Of course she probably didn't grasp how long I would try to TTC or how unlikely it is for me to get PG..

Mine were always under 10 so far (knock on wood).  Above 30 is concerning to the docs.  I would take before you start any stim cycle (or prep for FET).

GL!

ETA: there is a girl on 3T who was having crazy pain all of a sudden that lasted for weeks. Turned out she had stage 3 OC.  Her CA125 was over 900.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have not been tested for the gene, however I was told that if my base number doubled there would be cause for further investigation.  My first test was 28.2 u/ml and my second test was 20.7 u/ml.  The documentation I have says it was assayed using the ?DPC Immulite 2000? method.  According to that method anything over 21 is abnormal.

I am sure you have both seen this but the below study was the one she referred me to regarding IVF and ovarian tumors...

https://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2011/10/19/humrep.der322.full.pdf

***SIGNATURE WARNING***

TTC #1

Me 42, DH 47

Dx = AMA/DOR, MFI

IVF/ICSI #1 = BFN

FET = BFN

• Options
    imageSophistikitty:

I have not been tested for the gene, however I was told that if my base number doubled there would be cause for further investigation.  My first test was 28.2 u/ml and my second test was 20.7 u/ml.  The documentation I have says it was assayed using the ?DPC Immulite 2000? method.  According to that method anything over 21 is abnormal.

I am sure you have both seen this but the below study was the one she referred me to regarding IVF and ovarian tumors...

https://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2011/10/19/humrep.der322.full.pdf

The plan for me is to remove my ovaries once I am done TTC since I am at high risk even without IVF.  After all the treatment I've had, I wouldn't dream of keeping the ovaries in there.  It's just a question of when for me as I am not ready yet.   I can remove the ovaries and still do DE in the future if I keep my ute but I'm still not ready to give up on my OE yet.   But I know I am pushing the envelope here as I am 38 (39 in Aug) and my mom had OC at age 36.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options

I am not high risk (as far as I know)... I guess I just have a hyper-vigilant GP!

Praying that #4 is the magic number for you! 

***SIGNATURE WARNING***

TTC #1

Me 42, DH 47

Dx = AMA/DOR, MFI

IVF/ICSI #1 = BFN

FET = BFN

• Options
    I haven't taken the test but before my first Lap I asked my RE about testing my CA-125.  I had read that people with endometrosis can have raised CA-125 levels.  I was hoping to rule out endo so I didn't need to do the lap.   The RE agreed to test me but he felt pretty confident that I had endo and my levels would be elevated.   In my case he felt the lap was necessary and knowing my CA-125 numbers before the procedure would only be alarming.  Just wanted to through that out there so if your numbers come back elevated, it doesn't necessarily mean O C.
    TTC #1 since 9/07
    Dx MFI, AMA, Endo, AMH .16
    Lap 10/09 Removed endometrioma, stage IV endo and adhesions
    Lap 2/10 Endometrioma cysts & adhesions returned.
    Ivf #1 4/10 Antagonist, ET Cancelled.
    IVF #2 2/11 A/ACP+E2V C/P
    IVF #3 6/11 Letrozole/Antagonist BFN
    IVF #4 11/11 Low stim Antagonist BFN
    Lap 3/12 Lap & Selective HSG
    Many cycles of Letrozole and LP HCG w/TI and LDN
    IVF #5 8/12 Low stim BFN
    IUI #1 10/12 BFN br> S&PAIFW
  • Options
    Thanks ladies - all comments a huge help. I should get the results back tomorrow or Thursday so I will not freak unless the numbers come in like Pulga's did.

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"