December 2011 Moms

ugh these animals! cat ppl, I need help! and update on my rottie (nbr)

So I posted a couple weeks ago about my dog being hit by a car and having stitches in her leg. Well, here we are after almost 3 weeks and she's torn out 3 sets of stitches, mostly bc her leg is too swollen for them to hold and its right in her knee area, so the movement pulls them loose. She's broken 2 e collars, as well. The last time we had it stitched, last Monday, I was helping the vet in surgery on her, and since some of the swelling had went down and the infection all drained away, we could see that her muscle had pulled away from the bone and her knee joint is completely exposed. So today, stitches have came out again and we are taking her for her fourth set and a splint to keep her leg immobilized to try to let it heal. We couldn't splint it before bc of the drainage. So here we go again! On another point, my oldest boys cat has started Peeing all over the house! Since last Wednesday she has peed on our bed twice, the baby bed, and his car seat twice! My house reeks of cat urine! She's completely declawed so she can't go outside. I love her and my son adores her and we couldn't ask for a better cat in all other aspects, but I'm at my wits end with the Peeing! We have tried changing litter, box location, sprays, etc. Idk what to do with her. I'm sure its behavioral, but I have no idea what's setting her off! Anyone have any tips? I'm not a cat person usually, but shes such a good cat (usually). So I really don't want to get rid of her, but sanitation around my children is my top priority! Someone please tell me what to do! We have considered the feliway plug ins but she goes in so many different places and rooms that it would be hard and expensive to do these! Our carseat has to be trashed bc it smells so badly. Thankfully we have another, but this is getting out of hand!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ugh these animals! cat ppl, I need help! and update on my rottie (nbr)

• Wow, I am sorry you have so much going on with your furbabies lately! I'm very happy to hear that your rottie is on the mend...hopefully, the splint will enable her to keep those stitches in!

In regards to your cat, could she possibly have a urinary infection?  I am pretty sure that loss of bladder control is a sign of a possible UTI.  I would suggest taking her into the vet, but I am sure that is the last thing you want to hear right now!  

I hope all your furbabies get better soon! Keep us posted!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Thanks. I am taking her in when we take our rottie just to be sure. But the vet thinks it is behavioral too. She doesn't just go random places, like she can't control it. She goes in specific places that are baby related (carseat, his bed, our bed where he sleeps sometimes, etc). She doesn't think its because she is jealous of baby, bc he's 5 months old and this just started. She suggested that she is marking 'her' baby. But no suggestions as to how to make her stop or why she decided to 'claim' him all of a sudden. So Idk what to do...
  • Loading the player...
  • My cat started doing the EXACT same thing about a month ago. The vet said it wasn't a UTI but it was behavioral (stress-related, though we never did figure out why it randomly started when it did). I got a collar from PetSmart that was near the Feliway products. I don't remember the brand name but it has pheromones like Feliway and was a lot cheaper. Because he wore it around his neck we didn't need one for every room or whatever. It stopped the behavior immediately and even after we took the collar off he hasn't sprayed or peed since.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks, I'll have to look into that collar! And she was declawed over 2 years ago. I get the pellet litter for her anyway, though. But she def had to be declawed with babies in the house!
  • imageRedheadBaker:

imagelaken256:
    Thanks, I'll have to look into that collar! And she was declawed over 2 years ago. I get the pellet litter for her anyway, though. But she def had to be declawed with babies in the house!

No, she didn't.  

well its too late now.  no use chastising her about it 

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• imageMrsT2008:
    imageRedheadBaker:

imagelaken256:
    Thanks, I'll have to look into that collar! And she was declawed over 2 years ago. I get the pellet litter for her anyway, though. But she def had to be declawed with babies in the house!

No, she didn't.  

well its too late now.  no use chastising her about it 

Yeah, too late but unfortunate. 

If you are having trouble getting rid of the smell, get n enzyme cleaner from petsmart and follow the directions exactly. It truly works, and noting else will.

• In my eyes, yes, it was completely necessary. I would take my cat being uncomfortable for a day rather than one of my children getting their eye scratched out. I have 2 degrees in animal science and worked at a vet clinic for almost 9 years. I very well know how the procedure was performed and was there in the surgery room when it was done. She came home that night, we did paper litter til it all healed and she has never had a problem. I would do it a thousand times over. I've seen what a cat can do with claws, even when just playing, and this was my decision and the right one. I'm sorry that you feel it is cruel, but I feel that it is necessary. It may be uncomfortable for a day or even a week, but shots are also uncomfortable and can be miserable. Circumcision is uncomfortable. But they are necessary choices. It's an issue of health and safety. In my eyes, its equal to spaying and neutering pets, or dehorning and castration or tail docking in livestock. But anyway, this isn't the point. Thank you to everyone for the information on cleaning and helping the urination problem! I'm sorry we don't always agree, but in my experience (which is quite vast in this area), I believe it is completely justifiable and necessary in many situations.
  • My jaw just fell to the floor...

Circumcision is an issue of health and safety? Um, NO!! Circumcision is not at all necessary and not at all like dehorning livestock.  Ask any up-to-date pedi and they will tell you there is no medical justification for circumcision. It is purely a cosmetic choice. Insurance companies are even starting to refuse to cover the procedure because it is not necessary.

As for cats, I have owned cats my entire life, and not one was ever declawed. I was never mauled or injured. I got a few light scratches that healed easily and were absolutely no big deal.  

I am sorry you are having trouble with your pets and I hope it resolves quickly, but goodness gracious, do your homework! 

• imageRedheadBaker:
    imagekwinkle1980:

I am sorry you are having trouble with your pets and I hope it resolves quickly, but goodness gracious, do your homework! 

Duh, she doesn't need to. Her knowledge on the subject is "vast."  Obviously recommendations never change, and we always continue to do things just the way we always did. 

Oh, right. Silly me.

We dog owners better get our dogs' teeth filed down so they can't bite. We'll have to puree their food, but it is a matter of health and safety (like circumcision). I have seen what dogs' teeth can do. 

Imagine what it would be like if packs of uncircumsized men roamed the country. There would be rampant disease, aggression, and danger. Like it is in Europe, where most men are left intact. Dangerous, unhealthy place. 

• LMAO!

Care to guess how "vast" my experience is with clawed cats?  I own three.  I've fostered..... 200ish

I have an almost 3 year old.  He gets scratched when he carries them around.  He learns not to (and then forgets and re-learns, as a 2 year old tends to do).  His eyes have NOT been scratched out.   He hasn't gotten infections from cat scratches. He CAN tell you a scared cat from a friendly cat from a mean cat. 

Declawing is un necessary.  

imageimageimageimageimageimage Beckett*Gizmo*Charlie*Little Kitty*Hudson*Chiggy <a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"