So open up your heart
and give him a break,
for it's moments like this,
a man you can make.
Please keep this in mind
when you hear someone forget,
He is just a little boy,
and not a man yet.

Whaa!  I know its good for kids to feel disappointment but gosh, I want to protect my little ones from feeling like that, we are not old enough for tball yet (its 5 here) but some of the crazy stories make me scared, sad...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: with all the tball batshit craziness parents out there...i saw this

• Options
    It's not just t-ball, unfortunately. I have see this in soccer, hockey, swimming, gymnastics, karate, basketball, dance, and the list goes on. I just hope that I am one that can help my kids deal with the crazy pressures put on them by other thoughtless people who don't realize we are just talking about kids. KIDS!
  • Options
    They should pass that out at the entrance to little kids' sporting events! I seriously think people get so crazy emotional when it comes to their kids, they just don't think reasonably sometimes. 

I posted a few weeks ago about how I was surprised that my 5 y.o. DS's flag football league made parents sign a parent code of conduct. DS has had 2 games so far, and the parents have been pretty good, no crazies so far.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm not one to toot my own horn when it comes to parenting but this is one thing that I think we have handled well. 

At the end of each practice, I say "I'm so proud of you!  You improved your (catching, hitting, throwing, whatever)."  And then I ask "Did you have fun!?"  There answer is yes.  I respond "That is all that matters!  You are learning and having fun!" 

And truly, that is what this is all about.  Sucks that not every parent sees it that way. 

Truth be told, this is one of the things that scares me about my kids playing sports.  Because I can totally see myself saying to one of those parents someday "Hey dude.  Go buy a lotto ticket.  You have better odds winning the lotto than you do of your superstar little Johnny playing pro!"  I mean, seriously, BACK OFF!  ;)

• Options
    imageJodi&Joe:

I'm not one to toot my own horn when it comes to parenting but this is one thing that I think we have handled well. 

At the end of each practice, I say "I'm so proud of you!  You improved your (catching, hitting, throwing, whatever)."  And then I ask "Did you have fun!?"  There answer is yes.  I respond "That is all that matters!  You are learning and having fun!" 

And truly, that is what this is all about.  Sucks that not every parent sees it that way. 

Truth be told, this is one of the things that scares me about my kids playing sports.  Because I can totally see myself saying to one of those parents someday "Hey dude.  Go buy a lotto ticket.  You have better odds winning the lotto than you do of your superstar little Johnny playing pro!"  I mean, seriously, BACK OFF!  ;)

Jodi, I love this- I am totally going to use it!! Like Jodi- this is one thing I am good at, keeping activities fun.  It helps that I don't want my kids to play pro or be famous- none of those people seem happy and mostly seem effed up!

I do have to rein my mom in sometimes, she is sooooooooooo competative.

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.
  • Options
    imageJodi&Joe:

+1

Mine don't play team sports (yet), but I am going to try to be more conscious to do this after gymnastics (beginner) & karate!   I feel like Monday is such a rush (15 mins betwn Karate and gymnastics) that I am not sure I make that effort.  I *think* I told DS1 yesterday, DD I am not sure..we were done at 7pm and still needed dinner.  I usually drop her off but MH couldn't pick her up yesterday.  I had to run and sign them up for swimming during DD's class...

I haven't ran into any parents like this yet, nice come back...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There was a parent at DDs under-4s division that made some stupid comment grunting during a play during practice.  Seriously dude, they are 3yo!
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"