May 2012 Moms
Options

My first emotional breakdown at my 39 wk appt.

Oh gosh. I don't even know where to start. But I'm losing it. Last week at my 38 week appointment my OB checked me and I was 1cm dilated, 70% effaced but the baby was "really high up there." So all week I've been walking and sitting around on my yoga ball bouncing like a fool trying to convince my little guy to move down. I was so hopeful at this appointment. Looking back though, I don't know why. My body is showing zero signs of being ready for labor. Not even any BH contractions until today. So today he checked me again and I was still the same. He tried to strip my membranes but the baby is so high up he couldn't reach it. I'm only 39 weeks tomorrow, so I know there's time. But he just told me that they usually will induce you if you want at 40 weeks, encourage it by 41 weeks and don't usually let you go past 42 weeks. He said this is due to an increased risk of still birth and that just flipped a switch inside of me. 

You guys might remember me replying on a lot of posts about my scary 1st delivery. I'm sure you guys don't want all the details, but there were a number of reasons contributing to my incredibly painful 30 hour labor and 2 1/2 hours of pushing with a failed epidural and an insane amount of Pitocin. My water broke at 38ish weeks but my body was not ready to deliver. I wasn't dilated or effaced whatsoever and hadn't had so much as a BH contraction. 10 hours into the Pitocin and I was still only 2ish cm.

I have tried to be positive about this delivery through this whole pregnancy. Really, I've tried not to think about it. And when I do think about it I've been trying to remind myself that there were a bunch of things that complicated my first delivery and that the second is "usually" easier and every delivery is different. But when today, at 39 weeks, he still hasn't dropped and I am not showing any signs of being ready...I'm freaked out. I'll wait as long as I can before they induce me, but after doing some research I don't really feel comfortable going past 41 weeks. AND...my original due date is several days before my current EDD. 

So I cried the entire 45 minutes home from my appointment. My baby STILL hasn't dropped. Everyone on here seems to have dropped already. Can you "drop" pretty close to labor? Or do you usually drop and then it's a few weeks? I can't help but think that I'll be at 41 weeks with a still super high baby and have to be induced and go through that again. 

I'm freaking out girls.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My first emotional breakdown at my 39 wk appt.

• Options
    I do know that for second time moms, baby sometimes doesn't drop until right before or even during labor.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm a FTM so definitely not an expert but according to wtewye dropping doesn't have much of an indication of being late or not and that second time mom's often don't drop until active labour. HTH and sending lots of speedy delivery vibes your way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am in the same boat as you except I am a FTM. I had my 39 week appointment today and when I got home I just cried because I am only a centimeter dilated and the doctor didn't even say that I effaced at all. I feel like I am going to have to be induced and I don't want to . I feel like there is no point in walking or anything since I am not dilating. So I understand your freaking out especially since your first birth went the way it did. Hoping things get better for the both of us. 
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageJulesFo:
    I do know that for second time moms, baby sometimes doesn't drop until right before or even during labor.  

I read this as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Ladies...I had no clue! I just did a quick google search and I've found tons of sites saying that babies don't necessarily drop in second pregnancies! This makes me feel a lot better :). THANK YOU!
  • Options
    I'm a lurker from April 2012 (who is overdue and now having a May baby), but my baby was floating at 39 weeks, at 40 she was -2 station. I go today to see if i've made progress. I am also refusing to go past 41 weeks. This is my 3rd, first was a c/s, 2nd was a vbac with spontaneous labor at 39 weeks, this little girl just doesn't want to come out! So I have until Friday. I'm hoping to put a c/s on the books (because I can't be induced) today as a back up plan. Ill cross my fingers for some progress for you! I was 1cm until 40 weeks, then I hit 2-3, still thick though, and baby was -2.

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • Options
    My first didn't drop until 12 hours before labor started, my second never completely dropped until my water broke & this little guy has been so low all along there is no place for him to drop to but maybe the floor.  Don't stress too much a lot can happen in two weeks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options

Try not to worry, mama! My DS never dropped. And if anything, it feels like this LO is actually moving further up into my ribs rather than dropping!

Are you having a boy? My SIL has a theory that little boys cling to their mamas and wont' come out until late.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLaxbugg1410:

Try not to worry, mama! My DS never dropped. And if anything, it feels like this LO is actually moving further up into my ribs rather than dropping!

Are you having a boy? My SIL has a theory that little boys cling to their mamas and wont' come out until late.

It is a boy :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"