Working Moms
Options

PT daycare/routine?

So when I go back to work this fall after maternity leave I will just work PRN.  So I will know my schedule 6 weeks in advance but not have much control over how many shifts I work.  I'm hoping for 2 a week and then a weekend here or there but there's just no telling really.  The biggest advantage is my foot is still in the door if I want to job share or go back FT in the future.  

We found a great daycare by our house and put down a deposit earlier in my pregnancy.  They will work with this flexible schedule but I have to pay for a minimum of 2 days a week ($59 a day) whether or not I need/use them.  

So my question, if I don't get any shifts one week or just get one, should I still send my daughter to daycare 2 days a week?  Then I would be home by myself...could run errands/clean/etc. which is great, but kinda seems weird at the same time.  However wouldn't it be harder on the baby to skip a week or go irregularly?  Just looking for insight from the seasoned pros :)  

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d

Re: PT daycare/routine?

• Options
    My schedule changes, I know it 4 weeks in advance.  When I get my schedule I give DC a list of the days he needs to attend.  We have no minimum days per week that is required for him to go.  It works out well for us, they are very flexible with how we need to do things. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    you still have to pay wether they attend or not attend, My son goes two days a week part time. In your situation I would drop lo off as usual and run errands get some stuff done then plan a special activity for the two of you when lo gets out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Missing a week here or there isn't going to be a big impact to the baby probably.  If you were skipping a month at a time, that's another thing, but a week they'll hardly  notice.

It sounds ideal to me, honestly...if you have a full week off and have errands to run, you can take him a couple of days a week so he can see his 'friends' and get some good playtime in at daycare...if you're feeling like you need a little extra kid time, you can take him out those days (even though you're paying for them), and have some spontaneous playdates etc.  

Felicity
  • Options
    oh I forgot to mention one other concern: germs/sickness.  I would feel awful if I sent baby to daycare when I wasn't working and she got sick.  Obviously I can't control that but I wonder if I'd be unnecessarily exposing her to sickness in that situation.  
    Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • Options

Up until a few months ago, I worked part time in my field 5 days a week. I resigned and now SAH during the day (but work 2 evenings a week when the kids are in bed). I still keep the kids in daycare 1 afternoon a week because they love it/I can get stuff done.

Today they're going and I'm getting an oil change/putting away their winter clothes. It would be torture to do stuff like that when they're home. I always have miscellaneous errands/housework to do that's just easier to do without them in tow.

I would most definitely keep sending her even if you don't get the shifts. If you're paying for the service, might as well utilize it.

ETA: If LO gets sick look at it as a positive thing. It's helping to build her immune system which will help as she gets closer to school age. I feel no guilt when I have a sick LO(s).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would still send the baby.  DS goes to daycare 3 days per week and he has missed two weeks due to sickness.  The first day or two back after the sickness has been rough.  It is much easier on them if they have a consistent schedule.
    Cricket's Cadence
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"