June 2012 Moms
Options

L&D Classes

Apparently, my hospital wants me to have completed these before I have a month left till my due date and as the next round of classes doesn't start until May 11th, I am too late.  It really upset me.

Am I overreacting?  Are these necessary?  I did sign up for the hospital tour but wanted to be a little more prepared.  My physician didn't even mention them till last week.

Me 31 / DH 30
DS born 6/12/12

My little superhero
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC #2 started Oct 2013
BFP #1 10/30/13 - m/c 01/02/14 @ 9 wks
TTC #2 resumed Mar 2014
BFP #2 8/17/14 - EDD 04/26/15 - it's a girl!!

April 15 Jan siggy challenge - workout fails

Re: L&D Classes

• Options
    We did some DVD's that we found to be more helpful then the classes. The Laugh and Learn Series. Try your local Library and you maybe able to rent them for free.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The Laugh and Learn set is also on Netflix to rent if your library doesn't have it and you already subscribe anyway. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The classes were a waste of time and I had a hard time remembering what I learned.  I plan to refresh by watching DVDs

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sam19sam19 member
    Not necessary but they are helpful. I don't understand why they won't let you sign up. It's not like it's that far off from a month.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • Options
    We took our L&D classes. Pros I got is what the actual hospital's policies and procedures were. What their rate of C-Sections are. How long your stay usually is. What happens to you AFTER birth. But a lot of those questions can be answered at the tour, especially if you have a one on one tour. I got a good list from this site of questions to ask on a tour.

The cons were that we took 4 two hour classes and honestly ALL the information could have been done in a two hour class easy.

I took mine more out of panic, since I wasn't sure what to expect. One other good thing, with a DVD, you can't ask questions. With a real person you can.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

That's just dumb.  They're turning away $ for no good reason. 

I didn't see any point in the L&D classes.  DH probably benefited a little bit, because he hadn't done any of his own research.  But, like PPs said, you can learn everything from books, DVDs and the internet. 

• Options

imageblonde2002:
    We did some DVD's that we found to be more helpful then the classes. The Laugh and Learn Series. Try your local Library and you maybe able to rent them for free.

Awesome! I will look into this!  Thank you much!!

Me 31 / DH 30
    DS born 6/12/12

My little superhero
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC #2 started Oct 2013
    BFP #1 10/30/13 - m/c 01/02/14 @ 9 wks
    TTC #2 resumed Mar 2014
    BFP #2 8/17/14 - EDD 04/26/15 - it's a girl!!

April 15 Jan siggy challenge - workout fails

• Options
    Funny, my hospital preferred that you take your L&D class closer to your actual EDD, so long as you completed it by approx 36 wks (which is silly, I think, since many women unfortunately deliver before that?!!!). Mine are only offered monthly, and they didn't want me to take the set of classes that were a month before the ones I'm actually in.  Still think I should have pushed back more to try and get in to the earlier classes, oh well...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're starting three weeks of classes on May 5th.  So we won't be done until about three weeks before the due date.  If you really feel you want to do them, I don't see how it hurts to be a little close to your date.  Then it's fresh in your mind! ;) I wouldn't worry too much though.  You want to be prepared, that's understandable.  Mine suggested taking them too, but the set I signed up for was the closest we could manage.  Research is so easy these days; Netflix and the internet are good resources for sure!
    TTC #1 9/2011  BFP 10/3/2011! (EDD 6/10/2012)   Aubrey Lynn, 6/17/12Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My hospital recommended having them done a month prior to EDD, but didn't stop anyone.  There was a couple in the class that were due 2 weeks after the class was over.  

Like PP said, there are pros and cons to taking the class.  I think it helped DH more than me, but it was nice to be able to ask questions that you wouldn't be able to get from a DVD or the internet.  

If you can still sign up for them, I would do it, even if its close to your EDD.   

Jennifer TTC #1 Dx PCOS 2009 Apr, Aug, and Sept tried clomid cycles.... BFN. Oct...DH SA results were normal. Me...HSG - left tube was clear, right tube was slightly blocked. Dec - Clomid #4 200mg Feb 2010 - IUI #1 200mg Clomid = BFN. June 2010 - IUI #2 200mg Clomid = BFN. March 2011 - IUI #3 w/ injectables = BFN (1st & last with RE, moving on to IVF). July 2011 - consult for IVF. Sept 2011, 1st IVF. Got our BFP on 10/2/11. Became a mom on 5/5/12 to a beautiful baby boy! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm taking mine now and I am so happy that I am. I wouldn't think you are to late. There are girls in my class that are due in the next couple of weeks. Mine are really helpful even with all the information that I read online before hand. I learned the hospital polices and some wonder relaxation techniques. Plus it was nice to actually do them with someone who could tell you if you are doing them right or not. DH also said that he really likes going which surprised me. He said that it's a nice bonding time plus he realized how much I actually need him during delivery. He said it didn't sink in until the classes.
    BabyFruit Ticker during pregnancy Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    DH and I loved our birthing class. I had done a lot of research though so a lot of the information wasn't really new to me. I think it was good for DH though. It helped him know how to support me and it taught him about the different stages of labor. I don't think it's absolutely necessary though. You can just get some good books about child birth and you'd be fine!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebabynica:

imageblonde2002:

Awesome! I will look into this!  Thank you much!!

FWIW my doctor also recommends this series for anyone who can't take a class. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think it depends on your birth plan.  If you're going natural, that might not be enough time.  If you're planning on drugs, I don't think you need a whole lot in terms of birthing classes.
  • Options

We did them on my first, but i will probably skip them with this one. 

I might look for the series offerred on Netflix for a refresher.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"