Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

GTKY - friends with kids

Hi all-

A little GTYK.  Not sure if this one has been done, so apologies if it has!

How many of your close friends have babies/toddlers?  did this impact your decision to have kids sooner rather than later?

Most of my friends do not have kids, but they are all getting married, so i assume it will be coming soon for most of them (based on conversations we've had in the past).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: GTKY - friends with kids

• Options
    None of our friends have kids. DH and I will be the first out of our group of friends. It didn't really change our minds or make us want to postpone. They know we're thinking about it, and they're excited :)
    K & C | 9.17.10
    "With You By My Side, I Will Never Be Lost"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    out of all the friends that I do have, only 2 or 3 do not have kids. It hasn't affected our decision.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Most of our close friends have kids. It didn't really have any impact on our decision.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Of the friends that I see on a nearly daily basis, only two do not have kids (most have several), and I am pretty sure one of those is TTC now. Of my college friends, only one has a baby.

ETA the second part of the question. I am not sure if this affected my plans or not. We got married last year, have a nice home and both have stable jobs. . . so it just seems like the right time, regardless of what my friends are doing. It certainly helps that most of my close friends have kids though.

• Options
    Almost all of our friends are either KU or have kids. This in no way affected our decision to TTC. Most of our friends think that we aren't interested in having kids at all so when/if I end up KU, it will pretty much shock everyone. And that's perfectly fine with me! Big Smile

lots of <3 to my TBBFF Sothernpeach80 - BABY ETHAN IS HERE! 02.04.13 <3

TTC #1 since Jan 2012

BFP #1 07/27/12 - EDD 04/07/13; C/P on 07/31/12

BFP #2 10/11/12 - EDD 06/24/13; Blighted Ovum; D&C 11/30/12

BFP #3 03/10/13 - EDD 11/17/13 - PLEASE BE OUR TAKE HOME BABY!

Beta #1 - 95.8 (12DPO); Beta #2 - 502 (15DPO); Beta #3 - 2003 (18DPO)

First U/S showed one beautiful baby measuring 7w1d with a HR of 148!!! Second U/S showed baby measuring 9w0d with a HR of 173!!!

My Ugly BFP Chart

“I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much." -Mother Teresa

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    -edited out for privacy-
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Only one couple we know has a child but we don't really hang out with them anymore. None of our friends have kids but two couples we know have been trying. DH and I had decided that it felt right to us to start having kids and no one influenced that.
  • Options
    vpinevpine member
    I have friends that got pregnant when we were 18-20 yrs old so no, the fact that they have children didn't impact our decision to TTC since we're now 30. I thought they had children too young and didn't get to really experience college/night life the way others have. I was too busy partying and traveling to think about kids, it was not something on my mind or plans. I saw how they missed out on going out, saw how they were stressed financially and emotionally, only 1 of them was married and they had marital problems too. I did not get 'baby' fever until we were married for 1 year.
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Options
    i agree to all that was said.  Our decision was based on financial/life stability, and the realization that we want kids for sure, so why delay any longer.  I was just curious , as i have known people in the past who do it b/c their friends are (but i do not agree with this, or course).
  • Options

Practically everyone in our friend circle is actually pregnant (about half already have kids) and only 2 among our close friends don't have kids.

However, I'm 30 so we're at that "baby boom" age it seems in my area.

It hasn't affected our decision.  We were technically "ready" mentally and financially before we got married but we waited to get married a lot longer than we wanted to so we wouldn't outshine a particular bride in the family.  Of course, she is now pregnant....now I'm just envious of everyone who is pregnant.

TTC #1 Me: 30/DH: 35
  • Options

When we started only one couple that we're close to was even trying. It didn't impact my decision in the least...DH and I were anxious to get started right after we were married no matter what.

Now, we're still trying and almost everyone has at least one kid...some have done 360s around us and are on their second! Even a friend who was outspoken about never wanting kids has a son now. We've just been left in the dust.

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Options
    All of us have kids, most have 2+ or more. It didn't impact our decision to have more.
  • Options

None of our friends have children yet and only a handful are married. My close girlfriends either have no intention of having children or are far from that point in their lives right now. We're 27/28.

I would not say their life decisions have affected ours. But, I do wish I had someone close (besides DH) that I could share my TTGP feelings with. Hence, my new obsession with TB.

• Options

We only have two friends with kids: my BFF and DH's sister (I was already 4 weeks pregnant when she announced her pregnancy at 7 weeks).  

BFF's LO was definitely a factor.  We weren't in a rush to have kids (I always thought we'd wait a year or two to enjoy just being married for a while), but meeting her adorable LO definitely kicked our baby fever into high gear!  I was 4 months pregnant by our first wedding anniversary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Only one of our friends has children and only 2 are married, besides us. It didn't impact are decision or choices.
  • Options
    I used to be the oldest of all of my friends. But over the years, our group has grown.  We are all pretty much married, and some of us have decided to have kids, and some of us have decided that we want to wait.  It didn't really sway my decision to have kids.  Its just the next step for me and DH. 

image image

Me: 34 Dh: 41, Married: Oct 15th 2011

Me: Deteriorating Ovarian Reserve, Hostile Uterus

Dh: Slow but Healthy Swimmers

Round 1 Clomid 100mg 7/12/2013

BFP 8/2/2013 EDD 4/14/2014

Charlotte Born on 4/23/3014

http://beanagirl01.blogspot.com/

Lilypie - (JIIT)

• Options
    Since I am 34 and hubbs is 41 all of our friends have children. We are the last of the Mohicans shall we say. It did not influence when we wanted children though or when. We waited after a CP and lost of job back in 2004.
    Married BF 6/29/2002/
    TTC Since Aug 2011/
    ME:34 all clear/DH:41 DX Severe MFI/
    IVF w/ICSI OCT 2012 Stims started 10/8/ER 10/19/12/ET 10/24/Beta#1 11/2=BFN (beta was 1.2)

IVF 2.0-Baseline 11/7/12 beta 0/All Clear
    Stim start 11/7/12//ER 11/19 11M//10F
    ET 2 embies 11/24//Beta#1 28 Beta #2 23 Beta#3 29
    stop meds Beta#4 37/C/P 5W5D EDD:8/12/13/IVF#3 in Jan

Ivf 3-frozen 3 poor 3day/fet=bfn

Ivf#4 New dr. New protocol=beta1 197 beta#2 677 beta#3 1557
     u/s 8/13 =TWINS 2 strong hb
    Due Date 4/4/14

My Chart//>

• Options

My friends mostly waited to have kids and have all just now started having them in their 30's.  My BF had her 1st at 27, but I was super happy for her.

I married late ( a year ago at 32) so we knew we wanted to start right away.  it was more our age that prompted us than our friends :)

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    Very few of our friends have children right now.  We have a couple of friends that are pregnant.  Most of my friends are single or anti-children right now.  Neither sides opinions have impacted our decision at all.
    My Chart My Blog

After almost 2 years of TTC and fertility treatments we got a surprise BFP in May 2013
    1/14/14 Baby Boy!! 
    TTC for #2 October 2015

• Options
    All of my friends that wanted kids have kids at this point.  Their children have had no affect on my decision about if/when to have children - I just had to find the right daddy for my kid!!  Thankfully I have found him so now we just need to get KU with our take home baby!!
    Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options

imagedawn2zzs:
    All of my friends that wanted kids have kids at this point.  Their children have had no affect on my decision about if/when to have children - I just had to find the right daddy for my kid!!  Thankfully I have found him so now we just need to get KU with our take home baby!!

Same here. :)

My Age - 41, DH's Age - 42

TTC #1 since November 2011
    Dx: Endometriosis, Stenosis of the Cervix, Uterine Polyp, Hostile CM and Borderline PCOS
    Stage 1 Endo and Uterine Polyp removed and Cervix widened on July 9, 2012.
    IUI #1 Clomid 50 mg - 3/6/13 BFN
    IUI #2 Clomid 50 mg - 4/3/13 BFN
    IUI #3 Clomid 50 mg - 10/4/13 BFN
    IUI #4 Clomid 100 mg + HCG trigger - 11/2/13 BFN
    Cycle #28 - Clomid 100 mg + HCG trigger + TI (IUI #5 cancelled) - 2/5/14 BFN
    IUI #5 Clomid 100 mg + HCG trigger - 3/5/14 BFN

• Options

All of my husbands friends who are married have kids. Some of their wives have been terrible to me- asking me if my husband didn't want to have kids with me etc.!

This behavior hasn't changed our family planning- but the comments have not been forgotten. I will not go out of my way to help these mothers, or their children, in the future. I will always be kind and pleasant but I won't be doing them any favors!

Only two of my friends has a child. They are great moms! They also generally love their husbands- which I think helps a lot.

I am mainly worried about having to hang out with a few of my husband's friends' families when we do have kids because a lot of them are unpleasant and rude. Their children have no manners and are being taught that it's funny to make bathroom jokes in public etc. To top it off a lot of these parents think that they are God's gift to parenting and love to lecture on their parenting techniques. His friends that have kind and well behaved children only offer advice when asked.

I don't care what is written about me so long as it isn't true. -Dorothy Parker
  • Options
    All of my friends have kids, but I mostly only hang out a lot with my best friend and she just had her second a couple months ago.  It didn't impact my decisions....I've always wanted kids, but after spending an afternoon with her cuties it does make me more anxious for my own.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    raeynraeyn member

One of DH's friends had a baby just over a year ago. None of my close friends (in Chicago) have kids. Two of my friends did go off BCP recently and are sort of not not trying. I'm trying to convince one of them to start charting, since she was super anxious a couple weeks ago when her period was "really late".

In a perfect world I really wish I could have kids around the same time as my friends, but other people's babies did not affect our decision to start TTC in any way.

imageimage
  • Options
    None of our close friends (except for DH's brothers) had kids when we had DD.  It didn't impact our decision to TTC at all.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options

I only have one friend with a kid. She had her kid in her teens and she tries her best but passes the kid off to her parents most of the time.

None of my other friends are even in relationships, let alone thinking of kids.

Anniversary
  • Options

All of my friends have kids. When we started TTC, my closest friends weren't even ready to start trying again. Now, 3 of them are expecting #2! Them having kids didn't change our decision. We are the only couple that both have a degree. Our main reason for waiting a little longer was because I was in school, then we wanted to buy a house. At the rate DH and I are going, maybe our friends? kids will be old enough to babysit by the time our LO comes along. ::sarcastic ?positive? smile with thumbs up::

• Options
    I have 2 close friends without kids. The rest have 2-7 year olds and three are pregnant now. They did influence me but it was to wait to have kids.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"