Baby Names

2 boy names, 2 girl names- which ones are best?

BOY: Eric or Ian and why?

GIRL: Hilary or Whitney and why?

Thanks! 

Re: 2 boy names, 2 girl names- which ones are best?

• I prefer Ian and Whitney. 

Eric and Ian are both fine but Ian sounds a bit more refined.

I consider both Hillary and Whitney a bit dated, but I find Whitney to be less dated.

• Boy: Ian. Love this name. Classic but not old-fart, and definitely not over-used. 

Girls: Sorry, don't like either of them. I dislike the idea of naming my kid after living people and/or dead pop stars. 

• Loading the player...
  • Ian is the only name of the 4 that I would consider...the other 3 are all so dated, they scream 80's.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Ian and Whitney b/c they're less dated than Eric and Hilary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For a boy Ian and Hillary for a girl.  Whitney just makes me think of Whitney Houston.
  • Ian & Hillary. The others seem so dated to me.
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Eric, Hilary, and Whitney all bring to mind performers.  Ian is the only name on the list that I like.  I slightly prefer Hilary to Whitney, but I do think of Hilary Duff and Hillary Clinton.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • erb82erb82 member
    Ian is very nice, Eric is totally 80s.  I'd start over with girls names, totally agree with pps that they're very dated.  If it has to be one of them, Hilary, because Hillary Clinton seems like a better namesake than Whitney Houston.
  • imagePuppylove*85:

I prefer Ian and Whitney. 

Eric and Ian are both fine but Ian sounds a bit more refined.

I consider both Hillary and Whitney a bit dated, but I find Whitney to be less dated.

Exactly what she said.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I like Ian better than Eric.

I don't really care for Hilary or Whitney but Whitney is better IMO. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Love Ian

Wont pick a girls name....i dislike them both.

• Eric and Whitney. I can't believe people think Eric is dated/80s. Eric was my great-grandpa's name and I've always thought it was classic. It's a common Swedish name (we are Swedes). Does anyone know who Eric the Red is?

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ian, just because I like it better.  But Eric is nice too.

I guess Whitney, but I don't really care for either of them.  Hilary and Whitney sound like members of the preppy girl group at a high school in the 80s.  They have Aquanet in their lockers and wear sweaters tied around their shoulders.

• Ian and Whitney are my favorites of your choices, but I like Eric too.  I don't like Hilary much. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Boy: Ian (less common than Eric)

Girl: Not crazy about either Hilary or Whitney and I don't know why.  

• imageTripMomma:
    Ian is the only name of the 4 that I would consider...the other 3 are all so dated, they scream 80's.

agree 10000%

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Eric and Hilary.
  • I vote Ian, but like both Ian and Eric (for some reason, Eric does not sound too 80's to me). I actually know a lot more Ian's born in the 80's and 90's than Erics, so as much as I do like the name, it does sound a bit trendy to me (especially with Liam so popular now).

I'd pick Whitney over Hilary, but I agree that these both do sound a bit dated/associated with current celebs that don't necessarily up the attraction to the name.

• I like Eric & Whitney
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ian & Whitney!

I just don't care for Eric or Hilary, there is nothing wrong with them just nms.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • eric and hillary. i don't mind whitney. i dislike ian. it's just very blah to me. eric is also blah but i think it's a little more handsome than ian.
  • Eric and Hilary.

I know boatloads of Ian's and Whitney's, so to me, those names are a bit overused.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like both boy names, but definitely prefer Ian. That would be a top choice for me, but it doesn't work with our LN.

Not a fan of either girl name.... in fact, I don't think I could pick.

• Eric and Whitney here...Eric is my brother's name...and I find that it is just a nice name...not too out there but not super common. I have just always loved the name Whitney.
    Chemical Pregnancy 2001, Married 8/8/09, TTC April 2011, BFP 5/8/11, Missed M/C @ 9wk5d, D&C 6/21/11 BFP 11/13/11 Chase Everett born at 29wks 0 days on 5/7/12 at 2 lbs 14 oz, 14 1/2 inches long.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"