3rd Trimester

Im so mad at MIL and SIL

I'm so annoyed. I was talking to my MIL and she was telling me how she isnt going to come up for DS2s birth because my mom, brother and sister are coming. I told her I was sad, and she is welcomed. Well then she goes on about the named we picked. (oh joy)

Out of the blue she said "the babies MN is Thomas right?" I told her yes and she started laughing and went on to tell me how my SIL apsolutely refuses to call our baby by his first name (Joel). "Megan is so funny, she has stated that she will only call him by JT, not Joel..." and laughs -for a long, long time-. She continues on how SIL and the family just doesnt see why we wont name him Joe, they dont see the point in adding the L to the end.

It does piss me off, but Im not one to let it get to me. We arent changing the name..but wheres the filter people??!

Re: Im so mad at MIL and SIL

• That's pretty lame. What's wrong with the name Joel? It's a pretty common name. It's not like you're naming your kid something really bizarre. Unless your SIL has a serious issue with the name Joel (like a dirtbag ex who used to beat her, and hearing his name triggers traumatic memories), she's being absurd. Plus, Joe and Joel are two different names -- I've never even heard of a Joel being called "Joe" as a nickname (and I know a few Joel's).
    Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• Ugh, that sucks. I can totally relate! My in-laws have made some rude and annoying comments about our boy name choice too. One also said they would be calling him by a nickname, and I said "absolutely not!". We didn't share the name when I was pregnant with DD, and I didn't want to share either name this time (Team Green) but DH spilled the boy choice a few months back and we've been hearing about it ever since. It's really pissing me off...By the way, I love the name Joel!

• Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry that they are not supportive of your name choice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the name Joel!! If you want to be really snarky you could start calling SIL kids by shortened nicknames ect....
  • Visiting from 2nd tri because the boards are s..l..o..w   today.

Why not just start "crying" next time she says something about it and have a pregnant lady breakdown so it never comes up again and they can feel awful for being such jerks.  How would they expect you to not be offended by those comments?

OR - be direct and say, "you know, I know the pregnancy hormones are in full swing, but it really brings tears to my eyes every time you bring this up.  I'm not sure how you think it should make me feel."

And third option, start calling SIL's kids by their initials like the pp suggested.  If SIL calls him JT in front of your face, then I think you should flat out tell her how hurtful it is.  Something to consider..... has SIL said anything to you?  She may have said something to your MIL in a joking conversation that she never intended for you to know about.  Either way, your MIL sounds like a big ol B.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • I feel for you.

We had originally picked out the name Levi for a boy before we knew what we were having.  I didn't like it for my baby, but I picked the girl name (and was hoping for a girl), so we compromised on the boy.  Then, when we found out baby was a boy, I was like "husband, we need to talk about this name" and we both fell in love with the name Camden. 

FIL says he is going to call the baby can't (he pronounces it caint) because we "caint" make up our minds.  Um... hello!  We changed the name once and his name has been Camden since we found out he is a he! It hurts my feelings, but I love my FIL and he is really excited and sweet, so I have no idea how to approach the subject.

I hope you find a solution because your MIL and SIL sound really, really mean.  Just keep correcting them?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She sounds like an a$$hole. FWIW, I think Joel is a fine name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KaiterzKaiterz member

imagedani2480:
    That's pretty lame. What's wrong with the name Joel? It's a pretty common name. It's not like you're naming your kid something really bizarre. Unless your SIL has a serious issue with the name Joel (like a dirtbag ex who used to beat her, and hearing his name triggers traumatic memories), she's being absurd. Plus, Joe and Joel are two different names -- I've never even heard of a Joel being called "Joe" as a nickname (and I know a few Joel's).

This.  Please don't allow your sil to call him anything but his name, unless there is true merit to it as pp stated.  Your child, your name for said child, nobody has a say in what he is called.  Don't allow them to undermine you where your kid is concerned.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"