High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Should I be concerned?

This month has been crazy and hectic for me. I am nearing the end of my first trimester and switched my OB because I didn't feel the first one took my concerns seriously. I had my new OB appointment on Monday 4/23 and that went very well. Right off the bat, she had a high risk pregnancy plan in place and plans to put me on 17P around 16 weeks as long as my "cervix cooperates". I was diagnosed with IC during my first pregnancy, so she is aware of my previous pregnancy history. She scheduled me for an ultrasound on 4/25. Not much was said when I was in there, which made me very nervous. Occasionally the sonographer would smile at me and the only two questions she asked were "Did you say you had cervix problems?" and "Would you like to see your baby?" From what she told me, the baby was the correct size and the heartbeat was strong, but I didn't get to hear the heartbeating. :(  I have not had any bleeding, spotting, or cramping during my 12 weeks of pregnancy.

My concern is that I received a call today so they could set up another sonogram for next Friday 5/4. When I asked the receptionist why so soon, she told me she didn't know and she was just doing what the doctor told her to do. Should I be concerned or am I over reacting? 

Re: Should I be concerned?

• Options

Well, first off, I would just suggest that in the future you make sure you ask for the information you want. We always had to ask our techs what my wife's cervical length measurement was, we have to ask what her amniotic fluid index numbers are, etc. But we ask because we want to know and be informed.

As far as them scheduling another scan about a week apart and a half apart, for some doctors that would be standard practice. Most seem to do every other week ultrasounds when monitoring for IC, so you're somewhere in between 1 and 2 weeks on that schedule. I don't think it would be too much of a cause for concern.

If you're only 12 weeks along, it's quite unlikely they would have seen any evidence of cervical change and they're probably just going to be monitoring you every 1-2 weeks. That said, if you're concerned, call your OB and ask them to get you an answer and more details on what they saw during the ultrasound. It is your medical information and you have the right to know those details. You are absolutely your best advocate through this process and you need to be informed to be able to advocate for yourself effectively.

Father of a Delayed Interval Delivery/Rescue TVCIC Cerclage miracle, Milo Thomas
  • Options
    I agree 100% about asking questions. I talk non-stop at all of my ultrasounds and ask a million questions. I've had about 10 or 12 so far and I am so lucky to know all of the techs that do mine but only because I've had so many. They also know my situation (our daughter was still born at 19 weeks because of my cervix) so they are very understanding when I ask a lot of questions. YOU are the one paying for the ultrasounds and it is YOUR baby so you have the right to ask questions!! Don't be scared, that's what they're there for!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have another ultrasound this Friday, so I will be sure to ask questions about everything. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"