Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Anyone have picky eaters??

How do you deal? DD is 13 months and only recently became very fussy when it comes to food..She touches it and won't even try certain things..Eating meats and vegetables has become especially difficult, as she won't even try things anymore! Surprisingly, she eats baby food and those pouches great, which is funny since she gave them up months ago and wouldn't touch them! Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with this? I know you can't force a kid to eat, but I want to make sure she's getting all her nutirents in...On another note, she loves "throwing" food and cups off the highchair and eats much better at her babysitter (she goes to a home daycare)..Thanks everyone!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone have picky eaters??

• Options
    Keep offering and eventually she'll eat it. Have a back up plan, but if she doesn't eat much it's not a big deal. Sometimes DD will shake her head until I take a bite. Once she see's that I like it, she'll eat it. But, she's not particularly picky.
    I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • Options

DS is very picky and sometimes he will try something if I eat some and make a big deal of how yummy it is. Other times he could care less. Our Pedi still has him on toddler formula instead of milk for this reason. If  you are really concerned you could try the pediasure milks. Otherwise just keep trying and she'll come around. There are times when for weeks DS would love chicken and then all of a sudden wants nothing to do with it. Such a PIA and I feel like we waste so much trying to find something he'll eat. My mom told me that our pedi growing up said kids go through phases all the time and if the only thing they will eat at that time is PB&J then give them that and they will come around eventually. 

I have noticed that if I stress or get frustrated DS does the same and then we don't get anywhere. So try and relax...at least she'll eat good for the sitter so you know she is getting some good stuff in :-)  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DS was a great meat eater at first. Then around 15ish mo gave it up almost overnight and almost completely. The only "meat products" he will eat are processed so I don't give him very much. He'll eat a chicken nugget or a hot dog if he's in the mood (but rarely finishes either) and anything they give him at the deli counter, but again, not something I want his diet to be based on for protien. He won't eat meat that I make with dinner EVER! If I make lasagna I have to make a corner of it with no meat or he won't TOUCH it. It's like you said, once his little feelers can tell it's something he doesn't like it doesn't even touch his tongue he throws it.

I still offer it though and just give him a little extra veggies and dairy to help make up for it. He's almost 2 and is just starting to eat green beans again so I'm hoping that the meat isn't far behind. I found that if he's hungry he'll eat... and eat and eat and eat!! If your DD will eat the pouches then use those until she won't eat them anymore.

Plus, if she's eating good for the babysitter then it's not like she isn't eating anything ever so for the most part she's probably getting what she needs, sounds like she's just maybe doing it for attention from mama OR see how the babysitter is making her food. Maybe she makes it different or sets it up on the plate differently and that's how she's used to eating it. Kids are wierd when it comes to food sometimes.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"