June 2012 Moms

Breastfeeding class?

Is it worth it?  One of my friends told me not to bother because the nurses will help you and you can always call a lactation consultant.  I want to be prepared and successful with BF so just wonder if the class will help me stick with it if the goings get tough.

DD1 5.26.12 - Femara, Gonal F and IUI

DD2 10.18.14 - IVF

Re: Breastfeeding class?

• We went last week and I didn't find it that helpful. I think that was largely due to the instructor though- she went off on tangents a lot so most of the time she was telling stories or talking about stuff that I found irrelevant. We watched a video that showed some of the different holds and what proper/improper latch looked like, and got a free book that had some helpful information in it so it wasn't a total waste of time, and the class was free, so I don't regret going. If I'd had to pay for the class I might have a different opinion.

I would at least read a few books on breastfeeding if you don't end up taking the class, though.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • The class that I took was helpful.  The hospital I delivered at didn't have a LC and the nurses were not helpful. Thankfully, I had a doula to help me out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DH and I are going to one tomorrow night. It's only $15 a couple, and I really want to be successful in this. Since I know absolutely nothing about breastfeeding, I feel like it will help me be more comfortable in the hospital. The hospital has lactation consultants but I want to go in knowing that I have some knowledge on what to do. Plus, I have a ton of questions I want answered before I give birth, and this will give me a chance to have them answered.
    imagePhotobucket width="180px"> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • YES GO AND BRING YOUR HUSBAND. When I went in preparation for DD, I brought my hubby along - ok, we're sick and do EVERYTHING TOGETHER that it wasn't even a question whether or not he would go. When we showed up there were only three other significant others  there. I felt bad at first but afterwards we were both agreed that we didn't realize how hard BF'ing could potentially be....this class helped us prepare both mentally and "educationally". I was successful in BF my DD for 7 months and didn't experience much chaffing (sp?) or soreness from the from the start. 

I also took any and every opportunity for the lactation consultant to come in and evaluate what I was doing while learning and training my DD to BF.  Even if I felt like it was right, i would have her come in to tell me...sometimes I needed to "readjust" and other times I was doing good but because of both, I find that I was successful - if "I were to do it again", i would definitely go. 

• we took a class through our local health unit, as well as one of our two hour lamaze classes was dedicated to breastfeeding. I feel way more confident in breastfeeding since taking the classes. I would highly recommend them. its only a couple hours of your time, why not?
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ours was pointless.  The teacher was horrible. We practiced with dolls?!?! And the hospital gave us the EXACT same material after DD was born. 

The most helpful thing for me was to call in the LC or a nurse, every single time I wanted to nurse.  Each had her own style or tips and it gave me a lot of ideas.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Me and DH are going next week. I hope that it will be helpful but it was free and only an hour so not to bad if it isn't. At least I know that I tried everything that I could to help aid my breastfeeding.
    BabyFruit Ticker during pregnancy Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks ladies.  You've convinced me to sign up.  It's a $35 class in my area but I think it will be worth it!

DD1 5.26.12 - Femara, Gonal F and IUI

DD2 10.18.14 - IVF

• MH and I are going this Wednesday. My mom wasn't successful in breastfeeding my sister or me, so I really want to have as much information as possible. I'm so glad DH is coming (and wants to come with) because I know with sleep deprivation and hormones that I will need him to remember and remind me of what to do!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been going to La Leche Group meetings - they're free and informal, so I like that. I feel like I've learned a lot and they will also provide me with a support network once LO is born (in case I need extra help). They'll even come to my house and help me for free if need be! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH and I went a couple of months ago, and we definitely found it informative.  Every person in my class had someone else with them - for most, it was their partner, though there were a couple of moms of the MTBs there as well.  My hospital is big on BFing, so it was also nice to get reassurance that there will be plenty of help at the hospital after I deliver, but I liked getting some info about what to expect early, and it was good for DH to hear about how important his role is as well in terms of being supportive.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I felt way more confident after taking a class with our first born. The teacher is the LC at the hospital so we spent time going over every detail. I have a friend who really wishes she had done a little more research because she is struggling with her newborn. I would at least read some books and get as much info beforehand.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The one I decided to take was more of a workshop/discussion that just went over the basics and what to expect.  It was only about 45 minutes, and it covered everything I expected it to and it was nice for DH because now he knows what to expect.

DD - Lucia Alessandra 6/18/12  ~~~  Welcoming Baby Boy!! - 3/26/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"