May 2012 Moms

offended! Vent

So my mom thinks im going to have a fat baby. She lectured me last night about how I have gained to much weight and now everything I eat is putting extra fat on my baby. Then she went into her rant on how she ate sooooo healthy when she was pregnant with us. Heres the thing when not pregnant I eat all whole wheat lean ground turkey lots of fruits and veggies. Well when pregnant my normal way of eating makes me extremely ill. My doctor told me to add more fat and calcium to my diet. Which I did. My mother eats sweets and candy all day long and as children feed us fried food every night because thats "what my dad liked" So it makes me furious that she dare lecture me on the way im eating. 

Now she has me wondering if there is any truth to this. If you gain alot of weight when pregnant will your baby be heavier?

From what i had been told in the past that really only is true if you have gestational diabetes. But ugh she is not my favorite person right now 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: offended! Vent

• Tell her that before she insults you anymore, that she needs to do a little research. The amount of weight you gain has zero to do with how "fat" your baby is. Some women have chunky babies, some would love for their babies to be a little chunkier. I had a growth U/S last week and my little one was only 5.5. I'd love her to be a bit bigger, however me packing on poundage at the end of my pregnancy isn't gonna make her a 8lb baby at birth! I just have small babies!

Tell her you want a fat baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I was talking about this kind of thing with a girl at work (weight gain & size of baby). She says that how much you gain has nothing to do with how big your baby will be. Her 1st kid was born 10wks early & weighed 4lbs & something. She knows a girl who was - no joke - about 500lbs & everyone thought she would have a huge baby but didn't. I'm sure if your doc was concerned about it he or she would have said something.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is just my experience, with my 2 previous pregnancies I gained 50lbs and delivered a 5lb 11 oz and a 6lb 5 oz baby. I have gained about the same the amount with LO#3 and my Dr estimates that he is around the same size. I figure that is just what my body does and that is just how big I grow babies. I am not sure if this holds true for other ladies.
  • Your mother is totally misinformed and I'm sorry she is taking out some of what seem to be her own issues on you. Try to just concentrate on growing your baby -- the last thing you need is to have someone bringing you down, esp someone who should be supporting you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You are not going to have a fat baby. I am a registered dietitian and it makes me so sad to see/hear the lack of nutrition knowledge around me every day. Your body is going to give your baby what he/she needs...anything extra is going to go to you...sorry :).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She is definitely misinformed. I have gained 40 lbs and my baby has measured in the 45th-50th percentile for weight, per my growth ultrasounds, this whole time. So there goes her theory! I have also eaten a lot of healthy stuff - lots of lean meat, whole grains, fruits & veggies, but I have eaten some real crap, too lol. As far as I know, in regards to GD, the concern is that the baby will be too big OR too small (it's not always just too big). Just ignore her. If it makes you feel any better, lie to her and tell her your OB says she is wrong haha.
    --Danielle :-)
  • I would be offended too - the last thing a very pregnant woman needs is a comment on her weight!  I would probably say something snarky, like, "my doctor is happy with my weight gain and so am I, but thanks so much for your concern Mom" (in a voice dripping with sarcasm).  Don't let her get to you!!   
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have gained over 50 lbs and the Dr. estimates the baby around 7.5 lbs. Not sure how accurate her guestimate will be, but we will see.
  • I think your best course of action would be to tell her that your OB/MW is 100% happy with your weight gain and she is severely misinformed about what goes to baby. I'd encourage her to research current science because it is very different than what our parents and our grandparents were told was truth when they were pregnant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would just laugh it off and say things like "Well, I'm just continuing the eating habits you taught me as a kid..." I bet she will shut the fvvck up then!

Seriously though, I know it's hard, but take it in stride and if it gets bad, tell her to mind her own business and worry about her own diet. GL!

First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Thanks ladies, I was pretty sure that gaining alot of weight would only effect me and not the baby. I actually was talking to my OB last week about my weight she says its just fine since I started out on what she considers the smaller side. 

My mom refuses to let go of the information she received when pregnant 20 years ago.  

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If this was true I should have had an 11 pounder the first time around! I gained 50+ lbs, and DD1 was 5lbs 15oz.  I wouldn't worry at all. 
  • I gained 50lbs. with DD1 who was a petite 6.5lbs. and only 6lbs. with DD2 who outweighed by weight gain at just shy of 8lbs.

I'm sorry your mom is giving you such a hard time :(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"