June 2011 Moms

? About getting lo to eat table food

How big are the pieces of table food you offer lo? We've tried giving ds various things and he doesn't even really play with them. Hell eat puffs and cherios though. I need some help with this. 
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: ? About getting lo to eat table food

• It depends on what it is - I do strips and small pieces:

grilled cheese strips, french toast strips (cut the bread in half the short way then I cut 4 strips so each piece has some crust on one end) apple & pear slices I cut thin but long. For carrots I use the baby carrots and then cut them into small round pieces and steam them so they are on the mussy side. Sweet potatoes are in short strips, blueberry muffins I cut in half and I cut slices off of each half (they not too big) and he bites into them. For chicken and turkey I shred pieces off of it.

For a new food it takes 2-3 tried for him to actually eat or try it. The first few times I give it to him he plays with it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • akayfakayf member

It depends.   Sometimes I cut them into small pieces.   Other things I cut into strips.   He loves shaped pasta and Barilla makes some cute ones that are great finger food sized.   

But I'm a bad judge.   The other day, we had a box of pears within his reach and he grabbed one out of the box and starting biting right into it  Embarrassed

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Maya still only has her 2 bottom teeth so most things are puff sized, give or take.  If it's softer, the piece may be bigger.  I will give her 1/4 of a peeled apple since she uses her teeth to shave off bits.  But I have to watch b/c she will start breaking off chunks that are too big.  

When she first started eating some of this stuff was hard for her to pick up, but it's getting easier.  Foods that stick to her high chair (like cantaloupe) I cut into wedges that are tall and narrow so she can grab them easily and there's less surface touching/ sticking to the high chair tray. 

• I tried to give ds scrambled eggs, toast and hash browns tonight and he wouldn't even touch it, he just sat there watchinh us eat, whining.  I finally put a bite on one of his spoons and fed it to him and he took it.  He self fed himself a few puffs, but that was after I fed him a bit of eggs and some baby yogurt.  Its like if he doesn't recognize it he doesn't want to be bothered.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If he will eat off a spoon, I would just continue to feed him different things- and eventually he'll get it.  Some babies are more into eating/ self feeding than others.  Have you brought it up with your pedi?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"