2nd Trimester

2nd hand stuff..

How many of you are buying or at least looking at second hand items? There's a group on my facebook that I've added recently that is a great place to buy things, sometimes new. I've been told about bags of clothes and recently bought a walker for $15! I just can't justify spending loads of money on things, really just clothes, that my baby boy will grow out of within weeks. I have gotten his crib and a lot of clothes new but who doesn't love a deal?? lol

Re: 2nd hand stuff..

• I have bought some clothes used and I am getting my PnP and swing from friends/family members.

I am not opposed to used items that are in good condition.  However, there are some things I did not and would not buy used such as the car seat, crib and mattress.

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

imageimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• hmp1hmp1 member
    Most of DS's clothes are from my SIL who has a boy 9 months older. I bought his jumper and a bunch of toys at big consignment sales. I'm looking to buy a double stroller on craigslist.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • We got TONS of stuff second hand- a PnP, high chair, swing, bouncy seat, booster seat, clothing...

• I bought tons of second hand stuff. Found some on ebay, craigslist, yard sales, good will, salvation army, mom to mom sales, and just people I know! I am expecting twins so I am going to need boy and girl stuff .. and double of so much stuff that buying new would just not be a realistic idea! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • My H and I went to this place called Once upon a child, and I was astonished at the clothing selection they have along with the price tag. My H had to reel me in because I would have bought up the place for sure. I plan on going back once due date gets closer to shop till I hopefully don't drop. :)  As for anything else I'm not sure I'd feel better taking it from a friend then a stranger just because I'm a clean/germ freak like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Let me first say I do not usually buy second hand clothing.

I went this weekend to 2 consignment shops and oh my goodness was I amazed. They had so many amazing clothes for little ones that either still had tags on or you could not tell they had been used. You can tell the store owners are very picky about what they accept. I would have bought a lot, but we dont know the gender yet. Can't wait to start picking out some great stuff.

• We're definitely looking into this. I've already been offered a lot of stuff from friends so that's been helpful. 

Most cities have local "mommies" groups you can join that are a great way to buy and sell 2nd hand items with local people.

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've already bought most of the bigger items second-hand.  The only items left are the stroller, car seat, and crib all of which I want new.  Everything else (with the excpetion of bottles and some other items) I am good with being used. 
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I expect I'll be buying lots of things via Criagslist and at consignment stores.

Neither DH nor I have siblings who have children.  Among our friends who live nearby, only 1 couple have children.  We haven't announced our pg yet; I'm hoping that after we do, that couple will offer to lend/give us some of their stuff?  However, if they don't, we won't ask them.  I have other friends who have children, but they all live a plane ride away, so it'll be impossible to take anything from them except for lightweight stuff that they can send me.

Plus, DH & I are older; this may very possibily be our one and only child.  I just can't justify spending $$$$$ for all brand-new things and only use them for 1 kid.

Finally, I doubt I'll be having a baby shower even though I'm a FTM.  I'm sure some friends and family may still send/give us gifts, but I can't rely on them to buy much.

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have bought some things at once upon a child, that are in great condition, or even new with tags for cheap ! My MIL also gives us some of our niece's stuff that is in great condition as well. I don't see the big deal, but I'm picky so I don't buy too much second hand lol, if it don't look like new I won't take it... Also, I've found awesome deals at target on the clearance racks, not second hand obviously but CHEAP. I got LO 4 pairs of pants brand new at target for 6.00 from the clearance rack.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • most of what we are buying is 2nd hand stuff, except for things like pacifiers and the carseat. I refuse to buy new clothes [except maybe one special outfit] because they cost too much for how long the baby gets to wear them. 
    DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • We are planing on some second hand items like clothes etc, Also if it's a girl my dh's co-worker has a ton of girlish items for us that are pretty much bran new, which is nice.  
    BabyFruit Ticker image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"