July 2012 Moms

i finished crocheting the "grass" rug for the nursery! [PIP]

YAY!!! it's finally done!!! took a long time, but i'm really happy with it :) if you are curious about how the rest of the nursery looks, i posted a ton of photos in this past thread:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/62827486.aspx 

i'm so happy the nursery is done! :D i know some people wanted to see the rug once it was finished, so there you go! :) 

Re: i finished crocheting the "grass" rug for the nursery! [PIP]

• imageMissMusic:

Its perfect!!  Nice job!

ETA: off topic, what glider did you buy?  It looks comfy and I like the colors of the wood & cushions.

thanks! :D
    and, i bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Stork-Craft-Glider-Ottoman-Espresso/dp/B001IACJQ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1335805257&sr=1-1

i have sat in it for many hours already due to the crocheting lol...and i must say, it's comfy! and i like how it doesnt break the bank like some other ones out there do! we got it in "espresso" and it wasn't hard to put together either :) 

• Wow! I hadn't seen the room until today. It all looks great and I love the rug, too! Great job, mama!
  • Loading the player...
  • That is amazing! Good job!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's beautiful! What a fantastic nursery! I bow to all you ladies with such crafty prowess.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm so happy that you posted this. I've been hoping for an update. I LOVE your LO's room! 

• Wow!! That's really impressive - I love it! Did you find a pattern for this? I am just teaching myself crochet and am looking for a VERY simple pattern - like, the same stitch over and over and over again but haven't had much luck to find one. Any ideas?

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • That's neat I want that rug! Was it hard to make? 
  • thanks so much everyone!!! :D

imageBetsyDavis:
    That's neat I want that rug! Was it hard to make? 
    imagepeeper72:

Wow!! That's really impressive - I love it! Did you find a pattern for this? I am just teaching myself crochet and am looking for a VERY simple pattern - like, the same stitch over and over and over again but haven't had much luck to find one. Any ideas?

thanks! :) and it's pretty easy to make, but reeeeeaaaally time consuming because of it's size lol...i also never crocheted before making this (besides trying out a basic stitch 9 years ago at college haha), and it was easy for me to learn, but confusing at first. 

you start out with doing a line of the basic chain stitch (first part of the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVT46RiXX5Y 

then when you get to the end (however big you want to make it), you do a half chain stitch, flip it over and go the length of your chain with the single crochet stitch (at like 45 seconds into the first video).

then, once you get to the end again, you do a half chain stitch, then start the loop stitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-gpIT8gkss 

(i watched that video like 100 times before i got it, but once i got it, it's easy lol)

then once you get to the end again, do a half chain stitch, flip it, and do the single chain stitch row going back again, then flip and do a loop stitch row all the way back, half chain stitch row, then double chain stitch row all the way back, etc etc etc, so you are alternating rows. then at the very end, once you're done with the whooooole thing (again, however big you want to make it), you go back and cut all the loops so that they look like grass, and not loops. 

you also want a UBER FATTY needle like this one:

https://cdn1.stuff4knitting.com/catalog/product/cache/7/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/7/073128.jpg 

it's a N-15, because while you're doing all this, you have to keep FIVE strings together, not one like normal!!! so with each stitch, i have two dark green strands, 2 sage strands, and 1 light green strand. it's a lot!!! and at first it will take a long time to get the hang of it, but after a while i could go much faster.

also, in the beginning it's harder because you dont have much weight to it yet. just a row of chain stitch and a few extra rows of double stitch and loop stitch makes it hard to play with because it's so light, but once you get a few rows down, it becomes easier (if any of this makes sense lol)

i just bought my yarn at walmart, and got the cheap kind because i knew i'd have to go through a lot of rolls to finish this guy. i also got the fatty crochet hook at walmart too. 

hope this helps you!!! hahaha...it sounds like a TON, but really, once you know how to do it, it's easy, just very time consuming!

• You have done such a great job!! That rug is so darn cute and everything else you have done in the room is darling!! Wahoo for a finished nursery!! I'm glad we will be close to that point this week in my house!!! Yay!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Amazing!!!

I found a grass-like rug at pier 1 for our woodland nursery but yours is so much nicer! I love it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That rug is awesome!  Great job!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"