December 2012 Moms
Options

Nervous & Scared

So I had my first appt today & they did an ultrasound because we know going in that this is be a high risk pregnancy due to two previous losses in the past. I should be 6 weeks 4 days as of today but the ultrasound tech was only able to find a gestational sac & yolk sac. No fetal pole or heartbeat yet. She stated that I am measuring at 5 weeks instead of where I know I should be. I as so worried I go back in two weeks for another appt & ultrasound but I will be a nervous wreck until then. Is there anyone else that is going thru this or that has gone thru this in the past. I know that my dates should be right. I have a 28 day cycle every month. I am not sure of the exact day that I ovulated but I have been keeping track of my cycles everymonth. The tech stated that I may have ovulated later than I should have. Is there any danger to a developing baby with late ovulation? Any help or suggestions to calm me down would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long. Sad

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Nervous & Scared

• Options

I have a 28 day cycle too and I was taking the ovulation strips so I know exactly when I ovulated...positive test on day 17 so I likely ovulated on 18 or 19.  I heard this can happen when you are nervous or stressed about getting pregnant.  I have my first U/S on Friday so I will let you know if I have similar results.  I am half-anticipating that I will measure small since I ovulated so late in my cycle.  I also took 3 negative pregnancy tests after I "should have" gotten my period before having a positive test on the 4th day after my missed period. 

I would imagine that this is fairly common since many of us were anxious/excited/nervous about getting pregnant.  

• Options

I was fairly certain of when I ovulated, but my baby is about a week younger than I calculated. And ultrasounds aren't foolproof. Measuring an early baby has some margin for error.

I had some (intense-ish) bleeding a few weeks ago. I went in for an u/s, and the tech told me I was measuring 5 weeks, 2 days, and she couldn't find a heartbeat.

I went in three days later for an u/s, and was told I was measuring 6 weeks, 1 day, with a steady heartbeat.

There are no issues with a late-ovulation baby. Keep in mind, most people don't even have a time frame of when they ovulated. If you ovulated late, then your cycle would've been longer. Except that you didn't get your period. You tested when you expected your period, and got a BFP. So really, you just found out earlier in your pregnancy than most, because you hadn't actually missed your period when you tested (I hope that makes sense).

Try to stay calm and relax. I'm sorry you're having to wait so long for your next appointment. I only had to wait over the weekend, and it was awful. Please remember, though, if you don't know when you ovulated (that is, if you weren't temping), then you don't know how far along you are. The u/s will offer you the best guess. I also have (had, prior to breastfeeding) a 28-day-cycle, but your cycles are never rigid. Ovulation is affected by stress, illness, and tons of other little factors. If you were TTC, chances are you were under a little stress and you ovulated late. It happens.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, but it sounds like everything is going fine. You haven't had any bleeding, your baby's just younger than you thought. There's nothing wrong with that.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am going through this exact same thing. I went in today for my for my first ultrasound at what I thought was my 6w 6d appointment.  The doctor asked if my periods have been regular because I was measuring about 5 1/2 weeks.  My last cycle was 28 days, but the one before that was 33 and before that I had a miscarriage.

He said when you measure small it's most likely 1 of 2 scenarios...

1) The dates are just off

2) The pregnancy will not be a viable one

He mentioned nothing of the heartbeat, and I did not ask.  I'm assuming it's because he could barely see anything.  I had bloodwork drawn, and I go back Monday for another ultrasound and more bloodwork.  I am hoping I just ovulated late.  Hope everything works out well for you.  Good luck! 

• Options

Just because you always have a 28 day cycle, doesn't mean you necessarily had one this time.  And it also doesn't mean that you ovulated on day 14.  Everyone is different and unless you were charting, there's no real way for you to know when you ovulated.  I don't think there's anything to panic about at this point.

With my daughter I went in thinking I knew how far along I was and measured a week behind.  (I went in at 6 weeks but thought I was 7 so we saw a fetal pole and HB at the time). She is completely fine.  

I know it's hard, but try not to worry.  There's no danger in ovulating later than day 14.  It is completely normal to ovulate on a day other than day 14.   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"