December 2011 Moms

Sleep training success stories, anyone?

DS sleep took a turn for the worst about 3 weeks ago. This is after starting to sleep thru the night or just waking once. He is now waking 3x a night after nursing to sleep so of course he wants to nurse back to sleep when he wakes although he is not draining my boob at all and falling asleep after only a few minutes of nursing. He wakes up at exactly the same time each night. I am sad that it is coming down to this to have to let him CIO  but I am a zombie at work and this is no longer working for us. He is up at 11, 2, and 5 and up for the day at 6-6:30. He is so overtired, as I am as well. He goes to sleep at 8. I really just want to drop the 11 pm nursing session and hopefully get a better feeding in at 2 for him to sleep past 5 and stop waking out of habit. Anyways, has anyone had any success lately and if so, what did you do?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep training success stories, anyone?

• sounds like my baby's pattern. shes down around 7-730 and is up to eat between 11-12 and again between 2-3 then up again around 5:30 and up for the day at 7. 

she eats full bottles at most of those times, so it would be hard for me not to feed her during those times. I just wish she'd drop one of them all together!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagebelle785:
    DS sleep took a turn for the worst about 3 weeks ago. This is after starting to sleep thru the night or just waking once. He is now waking 3x a night after nursing to sleep so of course he wants to nurse back to sleep when he wakes although he is not draining my boob at all and falling asleep after only a few minutes of nursing. He wakes up at exactly the same time each night. I am sad that it is coming down to this to have to let him CIO  but I am a zombie at work and this is no longer working for us. He is up at 11, 2, and 5 and up for the day at 6-6:30. He is so overtired, as I am as well. He goes to sleep at 8. I really just want to drop the 11 pm nursing session and hopefully get a better feeding in at 2 for him to sleep past 5 and stop waking out of habit. Anyways, has anyone had any success lately and if so, what did you do?  

My DS did this exactly starting about a month ago.  He would get up about every two hours. I was really tired and super frustrated because he would only nurse for like three or four minutes before falling asleep again. So on Friday DH said he'd take over the night shift and let LO CIO. I really didn't want to do this but was at my wits end. DS cried for 15 minutes before DH went in and held him while he cried till he fell asleep 30 minutes later. Then he woke up at 11 and cried for about 10 minutes. Then slept till 3, ate and slept till 7. On Saturday for his nap he cried for 8 minutes before falling asleep. For his next nap he didn't cry at all and fell asleep before the seahorse was done playing. That's the way it's been since. Last night he slept from 7:15-5:30! Not a single cry! I think he's ready to STN every night! (Knock on wood)

Now... we have to transition to the crib, out of the RnP! =) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebelle785:
    This was us exactly! LO slept very good for awhile but then did a total turn around. He was nursing to sleep then waking at 12:30, 2:30, 4:30 and up at 6:00. I was exhausted. He was only comfort nursing and was not really eating. I bought the Ferber book and took parts that I thought would work for us. DH and I talked about it and agreed on what we would do. The first night we did bath, lotion, pjs, and a bottle of pumped BM, about 5ozs. Then I took LO up to his bed. We did not swaddle or give a paci. LO cried 40 minutes that night. I did checks 3/5/10 until he fell asleep. When I would check, I would talk softly to him but did not touch him and I only stayed in the room for one minute. He slept all night without waking. The second night, he cried 8 minutes. The third night, he went down without crying at all. He now goes down easily every night and sleeps all night. He's been doing this about 4 weeks now. I've just recently started nursing him before bed again. He nurses and then takes about 2ozs from a bottle to top him off. Then I put him to bed sleepy. I'm so glad we sleep trained! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and the sleep we both are getting now is wonderful!
  • I totally agree with PPs.  We used the book "On Becoming Babywise" by Greg Ezzo (I think that's his name).  It's similar to Ferber, from what I can see.  The best thing I got from that book was the affirmation that 10 minutes of crying won't ruin all the love and care your child gets throughout the day.  LO has been "trained" for about a month now.  He still cries when we put him to bed 80% of the time but settles himself down quickly.  We go in to check on him when he's crying because he'll flip onto his belly and won't fall asleep that way.  But that's the only time we have to touch him...otherwise, he falls asleep in 5 minutes.  I'm sure once he figures out how to turn himself over we won't have anything to worry about.

On a side note...how weird is it that LO first turned over belly to back, but now that he flips back to belly it's as if he's forgotten how to go belly to back???  WTF? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"