TTC After a Loss

Home from the doctor with provera

Hi All!

I had a doctor appointment today to discuss general fertility issues.  I made the appointment about a month ago after a really awful visit to my family dr (she basically told me that I'd never get pregnant without ivf because of my dh's age-he's 39- despite the fact that I was pregnant just a few months earlier).  And in the meantime, my period decided to be rediculous and stay away for 60 + days.

Anyway- She was great!  She was outraged by my family dr, and apologized for her insensitivity.  She thinks that my body is just kind of going back to it's old ways of irregular cycles and gave me provera to try. 

I am still apprehensive since I've heard several stories about provera not being successful, but trying hard to keep positive :)

Do any of you have stories to share about provera?

1st bfp- 11/14/11 mc 11/26/11

Re: Home from the doctor with provera

• Everytime I took it (4-5 times) I usually got AF within a few days. Good Luck! Oh and one of the side effects for me was to make me short tempered which I talked to a family member that had been on it she said it did the same for her.. so yeah just a warning lol Big Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageVikingQueen:
    Everytime I took it (4-5 times) I usually got AF within a few days. Good Luck! Oh and one of the side effects for me was to make me short tempered which I talked to a family member that had been on it she said it did the same for her.. so yeah just a warning lol Big Smile

Haha!  My dh is kind of used to that from me at this point, but my poor students better be on the look out since they don't normally see that from me!! :)

1st bfp- 11/14/11 mc 11/26/11
  • Loading the player...
  • I have never taken provera, so I don't have any advise.  I just wanted to say that I am glad that your new doctor is listening to you and working with you.  My DH is 40.  He was 39 when we got pg.  Our doctors don't think there is anything wrong with him and don't expect any problems due to his age.  I can not believe that your PCP said that, it is just outragous.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• I took Provera at night and had very little side effects. Af came a couple of days after I stopped. Good luck!
  • Provera has always worked to jump start a new cycle the three times I've taken it (actually taking it right now as well). I usually don't have side effects from medicine, but Provera really sucks for me. I feel depressed even though I know I'm really not. I also feel nauseated and cramp. And you should know that you may have a super heavy period afterwards. TMI WARNING - the first time I took Provera, I was bleeding through a tampon and pad an hour and passed humongous clots.
    imageimage After 2 years of trying with PCOS, 7 rounds of Clomid/Femara, and 2 early miscarriages, we finally found success. :) Due on April 24, 2013! Beta 1 (16 dpo): 477, Beta 2 (19 dpo): 1568, Beta 3 (21 dpo): 3560 Aug 24 - 5w ultrasound - 1 8mm gestational sac Aug 31 - 6w ultrasound - 1 empty 15 mm gestational sac - possible blighted ovum - Beta 41,716 Sept 7 - 7w ultrasound - 2 sacs, heart beats, and fetal poles - TWINS!! Baby A measuring 6w4d, Baby B measuring 6w6d BabyFruit Ticker
  • Glad that you found a doctor that took you seriously and wants to help! I think I may have to on provera soon as I am on CD 48 (i think) with no signs of AF on her way so keep us updated on how it goes...
  • I have never been on provera, but I wanted to say YAY for the great appointment.  It seems like these days competent, kind doctors are hard to find, and I'm glad you found a good one!
    DD 9/2/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"